Need help with Seagate HD in HP Notebook

Gyorgy Sajo

I need desperately help with saving data from my hard disk.

I have a 120 GB Seagate Momentus 5400.2 hard disk with a small 15+7
pins connector sitting in a HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook. You can see
pictures of the hard disk and the connector here:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Billede603.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Billede604.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Billede605.jpg

One day my notebook suddenly refused to boot, and as I already have a
more up-to-date notebook, the only thing I wanted to transfer the data
from the old hard disk to the new notebook.

Here comes my problem: I can not find any USB devices that I can
connect directly to the old hard disk's connector. There are a couple
of USB devices around that are designed for a 22 pins connector, but
they fit only to pins that has a thin and round design, not the odd
long and flat pins like my hard disk has.

Is anyone aware of the existence of such a USB device? Any other
solutions for my problem are also very much appreciated.

Thanks,
gyuresz

Ben Myers

On 3/3/2010 6:15 AM, Gyorgy Sajo wrote:
> I need desperately help with saving data from my hard disk.
>
> I have a 120 GB Seagate Momentus 5400.2 hard disk with a small 15+7
> pins connector sitting in a HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook. You can see
> pictures of the hard disk and the connector here:
>
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Billede603.jpg
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Billede604.jpg
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Billede605.jpg
>
> One day my notebook suddenly refused to boot, and as I already have a
> more up-to-date notebook, the only thing I wanted to transfer the data
> from the old hard disk to the new notebook.
>
> Here comes my problem: I can not find any USB devices that I can
> connect directly to the old hard disk's connector. There are a couple
> of USB devices around that are designed for a 22 pins connector, but
> they fit only to pins that has a thin and round design, not the odd
> long and flat pins like my hard disk has.
>
> Is anyone aware of the existence of such a USB device? Any other
> solutions for my problem are also very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> gyuresz

Remove the adapter shown detached in your photo Billede605.jpg.
Thereafter, you have a drive with absolutely standard SATA power and
data connectors. You can buy either an entire external case for an SATA
drive, or the naked cables and power adapter for not much money at all.
They are readily available on eBay and they can be found at mainstream
big box retailers like Best Buy or Frys on the North American
continent... Ben Myers

Chris H

Ben Myers wrote:
> On 3/3/2010 6:15 AM, Gyorgy Sajo wrote:
>> I need desperately help with saving data from my hard disk.
>>
>> I have a 120 GB Seagate Momentus 5400.2 hard disk with a small 15+7
>> pins connector sitting in a HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook. You can see
>> pictures of the hard disk and the connector here:
>>
>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Billede603.jpg
>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Billede604.jpg
>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Billede605.jpg
>>
>> One day my notebook suddenly refused to boot, and as I already have a
>> more up-to-date notebook, the only thing I wanted to transfer the data
>> from the old hard disk to the new notebook.
>>
>> Here comes my problem: I can not find any USB devices that I can
>> connect directly to the old hard disk's connector. There are a couple
>> of USB devices around that are designed for a 22 pins connector, but
>> they fit only to pins that has a thin and round design, not the odd
>> long and flat pins like my hard disk has.
>>
>> Is anyone aware of the existence of such a USB device? Any other
>> solutions for my problem are also very much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> gyuresz
>>

> Remove the adapter shown detached in your photo Billede605.jpg.
> Thereafter, you have a drive with absolutely standard SATA power and
> data connectors. You can buy either an entire external case for an SATA
> drive, or the naked cables and power adapter for not much money at all.
> They are readily available on eBay and they can be found at mainstream
> big box retailers like Best Buy or Frys on the North American
> continent... Ben Myers

Yep! What Ben said. $15 at Microcenter (another North American store)
and you can get a USB cable that will allow you to connect with 3.5"
IDE, 2.5" IDE, or any size SATA drive. It even has it's own power
supply for those larger drives. No extra software needed. I've used
them many times to hook drives up as slave on USB to either pull data
or scan for viruses and spyware on an isolated system.

Good Luck!

Chris

Ben Myers

On 3/3/2010 6:43 PM, Chris H wrote:
> Ben Myers wrote:
>> On 3/3/2010 6:15 AM, Gyorgy Sajo wrote:
>>> I need desperately help with saving data from my hard disk.
>>>
>>> I have a 120 GB Seagate Momentus 5400.2 hard disk with a small 15+7
>>> pins connector sitting in a HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook. You can see
>>> pictures of the hard disk and the connector here:
>>>
>>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Billede603.jpg
>>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Billede604.jpg
>>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Billede605.jpg
>>>
>>> One day my notebook suddenly refused to boot, and as I already have a
>>> more up-to-date notebook, the only thing I wanted to transfer the data
>>> from the old hard disk to the new notebook.
>>>
>>> Here comes my problem: I can not find any USB devices that I can
>>> connect directly to the old hard disk's connector. There are a couple
>>> of USB devices around that are designed for a 22 pins connector, but
>>> they fit only to pins that has a thin and round design, not the odd
>>> long and flat pins like my hard disk has.
>>>
>>> Is anyone aware of the existence of such a USB device? Any other
>>> solutions for my problem are also very much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> gyuresz
>>>

>> Remove the adapter shown detached in your photo Billede605.jpg.
>> Thereafter, you have a drive with absolutely standard SATA power and
>> data connectors. You can buy either an entire external case for an
>> SATA drive, or the naked cables and power adapter for not much money
>> at all. They are readily available on eBay and they can be found at
>> mainstream big box retailers like Best Buy or Frys on the North
>> American continent... Ben Myers

> Yep! What Ben said. $15 at Microcenter (another North American store)
> and you can get a USB cable that will allow you to connect with 3.5"
> IDE, 2.5" IDE, or any size SATA drive. It even has it's own power
> supply for those larger drives. No extra software needed. I've used
> them many times to hook drives up as slave on USB to either pull data
> or scan for viruses and spyware on an isolated system.
>
> Good Luck!
>
> Chris

Did the same today. Took the hard drive from a failed system, connected
it up as a USB drive, and copied all the My Documents data from the old
hard drive onto the replacement system. Simply slick and easy.

Wow! Microcenter has a good price for a change. Usually not... Ben Myers

Gyorgy Sajo

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> On 3/3/2010 6:43 PM, Chris H wrote:
>> Ben Myers wrote:

>>> Remove the adapter shown detached in your photo Billede605.jpg.
>>> Thereafter, you have a drive with absolutely standard SATA power and
>>> data connectors. You can buy either an entire external case for an
>>> SATA drive, or the naked cables and power adapter for not much money
>>> at all. They are readily available on eBay and they can be found at
>>> mainstream big box retailers like Best Buy or Frys on the North
>>> American continent... Ben Myers

>> Yep! What Ben said. $15 at Microcenter (another North American store)
>> and you can get a USB cable that will allow you to connect with 3.5"
>> IDE, 2.5" IDE, or any size SATA drive. It even has it's own power
>> supply for those larger drives. No extra software needed. I've used
>> them many times to hook drives up as slave on USB to either pull data
>> or scan for viruses and spyware on an isolated system.
>>
>> Good Luck!
>>
>> Chris

> Did the same today. Took the hard drive from a failed system, connected
> it up as a USB drive, and copied all the My Documents data from the old
> hard drive onto the replacement system. Simply slick and easy.
>
> Wow! Microcenter has a good price for a change. Usually not... Ben Myers

Chris and Ben,

Thank you for the reply! Yes, I have removed the adapter, but the original
connector still has a somewhat non-standard design. It does not consist of
pins, but of an interrupted flat plastic surface with small flat metal
"tongues" laying on one side of the surface:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...821as-back.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/DSCN5112.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/DSCN5111.jpg

By searching on USB adapters I could only find ones that fit to the more
conventional pin shaped connectors. Can you point me specifically to an
adapter that can handle my flat type of connector?

Thanks again,
Gyorgy

Ben Myers

On 3/8/2010 5:55 AM, Gyorgy Sajo wrote:
> "Ben Myers"<(E-Mail Removed)>

>>> Yep! What Ben said. $15 at Microcenter (another North American store)
>>> and you can get a USB cable that will allow you to connect with 3.5"
>>> IDE, 2.5" IDE, or any size SATA drive. It even has it's own power
>>> supply for those larger drives. No extra software needed. I've used
>>> them many times to hook drives up as slave on USB to either pull data
>>> or scan for viruses and spyware on an isolated system.
>>>
>>> Good Luck!
>>>
>>> Chris

>> Did the same today. Took the hard drive from a failed system, connected
>> it up as a USB drive, and copied all the My Documents data from the old
>> hard drive onto the replacement system. Simply slick and easy.
>>
>> Wow! Microcenter has a good price for a change. Usually not... Ben Myers

> Chris and Ben,
>
> Thank you for the reply! Yes, I have removed the adapter, but the original
> connector still has a somewhat non-standard design. It does not consist of
> pins, but of an interrupted flat plastic surface with small flat metal
> "tongues" laying on one side of the surface:
>
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...821as-back.jpg
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/DSCN5112.jpg
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/DSCN5111.jpg
>
> By searching on USB adapters I could only find ones that fit to the more
> conventional pin shaped connectors. Can you point me specifically to an
> adapter that can handle my flat type of connector?
>
> Thanks again,
> Gyorgy

The photos tell all. You have a 2.5" notebook SATA drive there, so you
need a SATA-to-USB adapter to read the drive. Those "non-standard"
connectors are standard. SATA... Ben Myers

Chris H

Ben Myers wrote:
> On 3/8/2010 5:55 AM, Gyorgy Sajo wrote:

>>> Did the same today. Took the hard drive from a failed system, connected
>>> it up as a USB drive, and copied all the My Documents data from the old
>>> hard drive onto the replacement system. Simply slick and easy.
>>>
>>> Wow! Microcenter has a good price for a change. Usually not... Ben
>>> Myers

>> Chris and Ben,
>>
>> Thank you for the reply! Yes, I have removed the adapter, but the
>> original
>> connector still has a somewhat non-standard design. It does not
>> consist of
>> pins, but of an interrupted flat plastic surface with small flat metal
>> "tongues" laying on one side of the surface:
>>
>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...821as-back.jpg
>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/DSCN5112.jpg
>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/DSCN5111.jpg
>>
>> By searching on USB adapters I could only find ones that fit to the more
>> conventional pin shaped connectors. Can you point me specifically to an
>> adapter that can handle my flat type of connector?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Gyorgy
>>

> The photos tell all. You have a 2.5" notebook SATA drive there, so you
> need a SATA-to-USB adapter to read the drive. Those "non-standard"
> connectors are standard. SATA... Ben Myers

Yep! SATA, so wherever you buy your external adapter from, make sure
it can do SATA as well as IDE. Here's a particularly inexpensive one:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0278844

Please note that I do not work for Microcenter, and do not specifically
endorse anything they sell....I just happen to live close to one, so
it's really convenient...

If you search www.microcenter.com for "USB SATA adapter", you'll get a
couple of pages of hits.

Good Luck!

Chris

Bob Villa

On Mar 3, 6:15*am, "Gyorgy Sajo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I need desperately help with saving data from my hard disk.
>
> I have a 120 GB Seagate Momentus 5400.2 hard disk with a small 15+7
> pins connector sitting in a HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook. You can see
> pictures of the hard disk and the connector here:
>
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...Billede605.jpg
>
> One day my notebook suddenly refused to boot, and as I already have a
> more up-to-date notebook, the only thing I wanted to transfer the data
> from the old hard disk to the new notebook.
>
> Here comes my problem: I can not find any USB devices that I can
> connect directly to the old hard disk's connector. There are a couple
> of USB devices around that are designed for a 22 pins connector, but
> they fit only to pins that has a thin and round design, not the odd
> long and flat pins like my hard disk has.
>
> Is anyone aware of the existence of such a USB device? Any other
> solutions for my problem are also very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> gyuresz

Here's one for $10, free shipping. (I have bought one from them, and
other items)
http://www.meritline.com/usb-to-sata...--p-34964.aspx

bob

Bob Villa

no wonder I haven't been here in years! This might as well be Packard
Bell's hardware.

Michael Kraemer

Bob Villa schrieb:
> no wonder I haven't been here in years! This might as well be Packard
> Bell's hardware.

what do you expect?
HP's bosses have decided long ago that commodity
stuff will be the future.