Need a Kick-Ass Case!

Wayne Youngman

Hi,

I have just sold my 4 months old AMD system which was housed in an ANTEC
SX630II Mini Tower case. I did like the ANTEC but it was my *Value* option.
I intend to build a new system (AMD I reckon) but this time I want to
push-the-boat-out with the Case + PSU.

I am an overclocker, I like ABIT mobos and Radeon Graphics. I want to use
at least 4-6 hard drives + assorted optical drives.

So far the thing I want to try the most is this *removable* mobo tray but I
am not sure if this works as I think it might?. The thing I didn't like
about my ANTEC case was that it was a tight fit with My ABIT NF7-S and it
was impossible to mount the HSF (AERO7 LITE) when the mobo was inside the
case, so I had to attach the HSF on the mobo outside the case then lift the
bare mobo (with HSF attached) and fumble-finger it down into the case, no
fun at all. This meant that if I wanted to swap out HSF or try a new CPU I
would literally have to disassemble my ENTIRE PC, screws out from Mobo and
everything! what a PAIN!. I do not know of a way to take the HSF on/off
while the mobo was inside my case as the clip for the HSF was facing the
inside. . towards the PSU, so yeah I could remove the PSU to unclip the HSF
but still a pain.

If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able to slide
the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be *Kickass* but I'm
not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this then I see little point in
having a *removable* mobo tray?

So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new case:

1) Aluminium - To help system cooling
2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as painless
as possible
3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo easy
4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable

= = = = = = = = = = =
So far I am very tempted to get this case:
CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (94.17)
http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
= = = = = = = = = = =
Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice so far is:
ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (76.36)
http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in my spec.
= = = = = = = = = = =
TOTAL: 170.53
= = = = = = = = = = =
Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you could lend
me your experience
--
Wayne ][

did you check out the Lian-li PC-70USB or other variants?

check www.dansdata.com for reviews

"Wayne Youngman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:buok71$2nj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have just sold my 4 months old AMD system which was housed in an ANTEC
> SX630II Mini Tower case. I did like the ANTEC but it was my *Value*
> option.
> I intend to build a new system (AMD I reckon) but this time I want to
> push-the-boat-out with the Case + PSU.
>
> I am an overclocker, I like ABIT mobos and Radeon Graphics. I want to use
> at least 4-6 hard drives + assorted optical drives.
>
> So far the thing I want to try the most is this *removable* mobo tray but
> am not sure if this works as I think it might?. The thing I didn't like
> about my ANTEC case was that it was a tight fit with My ABIT NF7-S and it
> was impossible to mount the HSF (AERO7 LITE) when the mobo was inside the
> case, so I had to attach the HSF on the mobo outside the case then lift
> the
> bare mobo (with HSF attached) and fumble-finger it down into the case, no
> fun at all. This meant that if I wanted to swap out HSF or try a new CPU
> would literally have to disassemble my ENTIRE PC, screws out from Mobo and
> everything! what a PAIN!. I do not know of a way to take the HSF on/off
> while the mobo was inside my case as the clip for the HSF was facing the
> inside. . towards the PSU, so yeah I could remove the PSU to unclip the
> HSF
> but still a pain.
>
> If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able to
> slide
> the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be *Kickass* but I'm
> not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this then I see little point
> in
> having a *removable* mobo tray?
>
> So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new case:
>
> 1) Aluminium - To help system cooling
> 2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as painless
> as possible
> 3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo easy
> 4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
> 5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable
>
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> So far I am very tempted to get this case:
> CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (94.17)
> http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice so far
> is:
> ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (76.36)
> http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
> I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in my spec.
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> TOTAL: 170.53
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you could lend
> me your experience
> --
> Wayne ][

al

D wrote:

> [...]
>>as possible
>>3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo easy
>>4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
>>5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable
>>
>>= = = = = = = = = = =
>>So far I am very tempted to get this case:
>>CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (94.17)
>>http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
>>= = = = = = = = = = =
>>Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice so far
>>is:
>>ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (76.36)
>>http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
>>I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in my spec.
>>= = = = = = = = = = =
>>TOTAL: 170.53
>>= = = = = = = = = = =
>>Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you could lend

I have a Lian Li case and you just slide the motherboard out.Great case
regards Al

IanDunbar

"Wayne Youngman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:buok71$2nj$(E-Mail Removed)...
[snip]

> If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able

to slide
> the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be *Kickass*

but I'm
> not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this then I see

little point in
> having a *removable* mobo tray?

I have a Lian Li 6070, I can remove mobo with hsf and pci cards
still attached.

> So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new

case:

> 1) Aluminium - To help system cooling

The extra cooling from aluminium is next to nothing, but aluminium
cases look cool.

> 2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as

painless
> as possible
> 3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo

easy
> 4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
> 5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable

Check http://www.overclockers.co.uk they stock Lian LI as well as
lots of others, delivery is always excellent and they're a friendly
bunch.

> = = = = = = = = = = =
> So far I am very tempted to get this case:
> CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (94.17)
> http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice

so far is:
> ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (76.36)
> http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
> I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in

my spec.
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> TOTAL: 170.53
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you

could lend
> me your experience

Good choice of psu.

HTH

--

Ian

A7N8X Deluxe v1.04
Uber Bios 1006 + Sata Bios
XP2500 @ 2400MHz
Corsair Twinx1024-3200LLPT
200 x 12.0
ATI Radeon 9700Pro
2 x Maxtor 120GB 8MB SATA RAID 0

Peter van der Goes

"Wayne Youngman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:buok71$2nj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have just sold my 4 months old AMD system which was housed in an ANTEC
> SX630II Mini Tower case. I did like the ANTEC but it was my *Value*

option.
> I intend to build a new system (AMD I reckon) but this time I want to
> push-the-boat-out with the Case + PSU.
>
> I am an overclocker, I like ABIT mobos and Radeon Graphics. I want to use
> at least 4-6 hard drives + assorted optical drives.
>
> So far the thing I want to try the most is this *removable* mobo tray but

> am not sure if this works as I think it might?. The thing I didn't like
> about my ANTEC case was that it was a tight fit with My ABIT NF7-S and it
> was impossible to mount the HSF (AERO7 LITE) when the mobo was inside the
> case, so I had to attach the HSF on the mobo outside the case then lift

the
> bare mobo (with HSF attached) and fumble-finger it down into the case, no
> fun at all. This meant that if I wanted to swap out HSF or try a new CPU

> would literally have to disassemble my ENTIRE PC, screws out from Mobo and
> everything! what a PAIN!. I do not know of a way to take the HSF on/off
> while the mobo was inside my case as the clip for the HSF was facing the
> inside. . towards the PSU, so yeah I could remove the PSU to unclip the

HSF
> but still a pain.
>
> If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able to

slide
> the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be *Kickass* but I'm
> not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this then I see little point

in
> having a *removable* mobo tray?
>
> So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new case:
>
> 1) Aluminium - To help system cooling
> 2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as painless
> as possible
> 3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo easy
> 4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
> 5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable
>
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> So far I am very tempted to get this case:
> CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (94.17)
> http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice so far

is:
> ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (76.36)
> http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
> I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in my spec.
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> TOTAL: 170.53
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you could lend
> me your experience
> --
> Wayne ][

A reasonably priced alternative would be the Chieftec/Antec SOHO full tower.
4 ea. 80mm fan mounts (Antec variant comes w/3 quiet fans), removable 3.5"
drive bays (lever lock), snap-in rails for 5.25 bays, and *lots of room* for
easy motherboard installs.

Here's a link to one at Newegg for $77 shipped to your door:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1

If you scrounge around, you may find even cheaper versions without the side
window.

S.Heenan

Wayne Youngman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just sold my 4 months old AMD system which was housed in an
> ANTEC SX630II Mini Tower case. I did like the ANTEC but it was my
> *Value* option. I intend to build a new system (AMD I reckon) but
> this time I want to push-the-boat-out with the Case + PSU.
>
> I am an overclocker, I like ABIT mobos and Radeon Graphics. I want
> to use at least 4-6 hard drives + assorted optical drives.
>
> So far the thing I want to try the most is this *removable* mobo tray
> but I am not sure if this works as I think it might?. The thing I
> didn't like about my ANTEC case was that it was a tight fit with My
> ABIT NF7-S and it was impossible to mount the HSF (AERO7 LITE) when
> the mobo was inside the case, so I had to attach the HSF on the mobo
> outside the case then lift the bare mobo (with HSF attached) and
> fumble-finger it down into the case, no fun at all. This meant that
> if I wanted to swap out HSF or try a new CPU I would literally have
> to disassemble my ENTIRE PC, screws out from Mobo and everything!
> what a PAIN!. I do not know of a way to take the HSF on/off while
> the mobo was inside my case as the clip for the HSF was facing the

> inside. . towards the PSU, so yeah I could remove the PSU to unclip
> the HSF but still a pain.
>
> If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able to
> slide the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be
> *Kickass* but I'm not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this
> then I see little point in having a *removable* mobo tray?
>
> So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new case:
>
> 1) Aluminium - To help system cooling
> 2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as
> painless as possible
> 3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo
> easy 4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
> 5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable
>
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> So far I am very tempted to get this case:
> CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (94.17)
> http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice so
> far is: ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (76.36)
> http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
> I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in my
> spec. = = = = = = = = = = =
> TOTAL: 170.53
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you could
> lend me your experience

Lian Li makes all manner of cases which suit your needs. If you're planning
on 6+ hard drives in addition to optical drives, consider the Antec True 550
or True Control 550.
http://www.lian-li.com/proclass.php

The Cooler Master line looks like an excellent alternative to Lian Li.

Kokoro

In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, Wayne Youngman ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

> Hi,
>
> I have just sold my 4 months old AMD system which was housed in an
> ANTEC SX630II Mini Tower case. I did like the ANTEC but it was my
> *Value* option. I intend to build a new system (AMD I reckon) but this
> time I want to push-the-boat-out with the Case + PSU.
>
> I am an overclocker, I like ABIT mobos and Radeon Graphics. I want to
> use at least 4-6 hard drives + assorted optical drives.
>
> So far the thing I want to try the most is this *removable* mobo tray
> but I am not sure if this works as I think it might?. The thing I
> didn't like about my ANTEC case was that it was a tight fit with My
> ABIT NF7-S and it was impossible to mount the HSF (AERO7 LITE) when
> the mobo was inside the case, so I had to attach the HSF on the mobo
> outside the case then lift the bare mobo (with HSF attached) and
> fumble-finger it down into the case, no fun at all. This meant that
> if I wanted to swap out HSF or try a new CPU I would literally have to
> disassemble my ENTIRE PC, screws out from Mobo and everything! what a
> PAIN!. I do not know of a way to take the HSF on/off while the mobo
> was inside my case as the clip for the HSF was facing the inside. .
> towards the PSU, so yeah I could remove the PSU to unclip the HSF but
> still a pain.
>
> If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able to
> slide the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be
> *Kickass* but I'm not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this
> then I see little point in having a *removable* mobo tray?
>
> So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new case:
>
> 1) Aluminium - To help system cooling
> 2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as
> painless as possible
> 3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo
> easy 4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
> 5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable
>
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> So far I am very tempted to get this case:
> CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (94.17)
> http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice so
> far is: ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (76.36)
> http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
> I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in my
> spec. = = = = = = = = = = =
> TOTAL: 170.53
> = = = = = = = = = = =
> Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you could
> lend me your experience

Just as many others have stated, Lian-Li is the way to go. I, not long ago
bought myself a PC-6077 (118 from overclock.co.uk), after seeing now well
it is built, and the ease of getting in the components, I doubt I will ever
buy a case from anyone else again.

goto Lian-Li's website, look for a case that suits you, they are the best.

Noozer

Antec P160... Looks sharp, puts the plugs/buttons at the TOP where you can
find them, looks sharp, 120mm fans, rubber mounted drivers...

VERY nice case...

"Wayne Youngman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:buok71$2nj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have just sold my 4 months old AMD system which was housed in an ANTEC
> SX630II Mini Tower case. I did like the ANTEC but it was my *Value*

option.
> I intend to build a new system (AMD I reckon) but this time I want to
> push-the-boat-out with the Case + PSU.

Howdy

KingWin KT-424 Black and you can get it for about $10 USD cheaper without
the side window.

I got mine at www.zipzoomfly.com

Very, very happy with it.

a.. High quality aluminum-mg alloy case with 2.00mm aluminum thickness.
a.. Special anti-shock absorber system for HDD.
a.. Front hidden fan controller.
a.. 1 clear side acrylic glass window.
a.. 2 front USB 2.0 ports.
a.. 1 front firewire port.
a.. 3 x case fans (2 w/ Fan Filters).
a.. Slide out motherboard tray.
a.. Folded edges to protect from cuts and scrapes.
a.. Complete tool-less design
Dashi

"Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> Antec P160... Looks sharp, puts the plugs/buttons at the TOP where you can
> find them, looks sharp, 120mm fans, rubber mounted drivers...
>
> VERY nice case...
>
> "Wayne Youngman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:buok71$2nj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just sold my 4 months old AMD system which was housed in an ANTEC
>> SX630II Mini Tower case. I did like the ANTEC but it was my *Value*

> option.
>> I intend to build a new system (AMD I reckon) but this time I want to
>> push-the-boat-out with the Case + PSU.

Bazis

Lian Li!

bazis