Need rec. for a b/u UPS

MZB

I have this old Dell Dimension 2400 desktop with a printer. The cable
modem and router is also connected to it.

Anyway, it continues to work great. It forms the base of a network (I
have 2 laptops). I have had the desktop system for probably 10 years and
an APC UPS connected to it for maybe 8 years.

Finally, I am getting a message that the APC is about to give up the
ghost (fully charged, the battery has only 5 minutes of backup time).

Now, I guess I could just get a battery replacement, but I am thinking
I'd rather just get a new UPS.

So, any recommendations?

Mel

Steve W.

MZB wrote:
> I have this old Dell Dimension 2400 desktop with a printer. The cable
> modem and router is also connected to it.
>
> Anyway, it continues to work great. It forms the base of a network (I
> have 2 laptops). I have had the desktop system for probably 10 years and
> an APC UPS connected to it for maybe 8 years.
>
> Finally, I am getting a message that the APC is about to give up the
> ghost (fully charged, the battery has only 5 minutes of backup time).
>
> Now, I guess I could just get a battery replacement, but I am thinking
> I'd rather just get a new UPS.
>
> So, any recommendations?
>
> Mel

If you have the room you could do what I did. I had a good UPS that the
battery went on. It used a single AGM 12 volt unit and gave you around
20 minutes to shut down. Instead of buying the same battery I decided to
add some extra capacity. Removed the old battery routed the battery
connections to terminals on the outside of the box and connected up a
marine battery. It sets in a battery box with a vent to the outside and
is also connected to an external charger that has a solar back-up. With
the big battery I can count on a LOT more time (the same make/model runs
the trolling motor on my boat for 12-18 hours and that takes far more
power to run)

--
Steve W.

Bob_Villa

On Thursday, May 3, 2012 9:06:57 PM UTC-5, MZB wrote:
> I have this old Dell Dimension 2400 desktop with a printer. The cable
> modem and router is also connected to it.
>
> Anyway, it continues to work great. It forms the base of a network (I
> have 2 laptops). I have had the desktop system for probably 10 years and
> an APC UPS connected to it for maybe 8 years.
>
> Finally, I am getting a message that the APC is about to give up the
> ghost (fully charged, the battery has only 5 minutes of backup time).
>
> Now, I guess I could just get a battery replacement, but I am thinking
> I'd rather just get a new UPS.
>
> So, any recommendations?
>
> Mel

Is there a need for the 2400 to be backed-up or running? If you back-up the modem and router...you can just wire the 2400 for use but use the laptops when power failed.

MZB

On 5/4/2012 5:56 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:
> On Thursday, May 3, 2012 9:06:57 PM UTC-5, MZB wrote:
>> I have this old Dell Dimension 2400 desktop with a printer. The cable
>> modem and router is also connected to it.
>>
>> Anyway, it continues to work great. It forms the base of a network (I
>> have 2 laptops). I have had the desktop system for probably 10 years and
>> an APC UPS connected to it for maybe 8 years.
>>
>> Finally, I am getting a message that the APC is about to give up the
>> ghost (fully charged, the battery has only 5 minutes of backup time).
>>
>> Now, I guess I could just get a battery replacement, but I am thinking
>> I'd rather just get a new UPS.
>>
>> So, any recommendations?
>>
>> Mel

> Is there a need for the 2400 to be backed-up or running? If you back-up the modem and router...you can just wire the 2400 for use but use the laptops when power failed.

Well, my main printer is actually an old Epson Color 400. It is also
about 10 years old but it works great and refuses to die. This is a
parallel printer so it plugs into the LPT1 port.

Also, when I save critical files on my laptop, I also save it on my
desktop (I have some SHARED folders), so I automatically have a backup.
This plan seems to work fine for my needs. My desktop is on almost all
the time. It can be off (and sometimes it is) and my laptops will work
fine via the cable modem/router set up.

So, back to my question: any recommendations. Should I just get a
replacement battery? I guess it might depend on prices, but I've made
the tacit assumption that it makes sense to just replace the old UPS
with a new one, but maybe not.
(Sorry, I don't feel comfortable doing the marine battery thing and
there is not much room)

Mel

RnR

On Fri, 04 May 2012 08:55:34 -0400, MZB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 5/4/2012 5:56 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 3, 2012 9:06:57 PM UTC-5, MZB wrote:
>>> I have this old Dell Dimension 2400 desktop with a printer. The cable
>>> modem and router is also connected to it.
>>>
>>> Anyway, it continues to work great. It forms the base of a network (I
>>> have 2 laptops). I have had the desktop system for probably 10 years and
>>> an APC UPS connected to it for maybe 8 years.
>>>
>>> Finally, I am getting a message that the APC is about to give up the
>>> ghost (fully charged, the battery has only 5 minutes of backup time).
>>>
>>> Now, I guess I could just get a battery replacement, but I am thinking
>>> I'd rather just get a new UPS.
>>>
>>> So, any recommendations?
>>>
>>> Mel

>> Is there a need for the 2400 to be backed-up or running? If you back-up the modem and router...you can just wire the 2400 for use but use the laptops when power failed.

>Well, my main printer is actually an old Epson Color 400. It is also
>about 10 years old but it works great and refuses to die. This is a
>parallel printer so it plugs into the LPT1 port.
>
>Also, when I save critical files on my laptop, I also save it on my
>desktop (I have some SHARED folders), so I automatically have a backup.
>This plan seems to work fine for my needs. My desktop is on almost all
>the time. It can be off (and sometimes it is) and my laptops will work
>fine via the cable modem/router set up.
>
>So, back to my question: any recommendations. Should I just get a
>replacement battery? I guess it might depend on prices, but I've made
>the tacit assumption that it makes sense to just replace the old UPS
>with a new one, but maybe not.
>(Sorry, I don't feel comfortable doing the marine battery thing and
>there is not much room)
>
>Mel

Mel, what UPS do you presently have? I ask because I don't know if
they sell batteries for it now? I'm not that knowledgeable about
UPSs but I have 4 myself about 7 years old now. If it were me, I
would be tempted to just replace the battery in yours but that's
assuming for one, that you can get a replacement battery. Where I
lack knowledge is whether your old UPS is as good as a new one of
comparable price. Obviously if you spend a lot of money, I'm sure
you will have one of better quality but I'm assuming that's not what
you have in mind.

R. C. White

Hi, Mel.

The battery is the main - and the most expensive - part of the BPS/UPS. And
there is the hassle (and slight danger) of physically replacing the batter
in the unit. Prices on UPSes have come down a LOT in the 8 years since you
bought that one. And features - like line conditioning - have improved.

The most important feature - in my mind - is not how many minutes or hours
the UPS will keep my system running, but how quickly it can take over the
load. Even a second or less of power interruption (or spike or brownout or
sag) can cause the loss of whatever I've been working on, and probably a lot
more. So I look for plenty of power, line conditioning and fast switching
time.

My recommendation: get a new UPS - and APC is the brand I've used for my
current and last couple of units.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"MZB" wrote in message news:jnvdkk$dif$(E-Mail Removed)...

I have this old Dell Dimension 2400 desktop with a printer. The cable
modem and router is also connected to it.

Anyway, it continues to work great. It forms the base of a network (I
have 2 laptops). I have had the desktop system for probably 10 years and
an APC UPS connected to it for maybe 8 years.

Finally, I am getting a message that the APC is about to give up the
ghost (fully charged, the battery has only 5 minutes of backup time).

Now, I guess I could just get a battery replacement, but I am thinking
I'd rather just get a new UPS.

So, any recommendations?

Mel

Ron Hardin

Steve W. wrote:

> MZB wrote:
> > I have this old Dell Dimension 2400 desktop with a printer. The cable
> > modem and router is also connected to it.
> >
> > Anyway, it continues to work great. It forms the base of a network (I
> > have 2 laptops). I have had the desktop system for probably 10 years and
> > an APC UPS connected to it for maybe 8 years.
> >
> > Finally, I am getting a message that the APC is about to give up the
> > ghost (fully charged, the battery has only 5 minutes of backup time).
> >
> > Now, I guess I could just get a battery replacement, but I am thinking
> > I'd rather just get a new UPS.
> >
> > So, any recommendations?
> >
> > Mel

> If you have the room you could do what I did. I had a good UPS that the
> battery went on. It used a single AGM 12 volt unit and gave you around
> 20 minutes to shut down. Instead of buying the same battery I decided to
> add some extra capacity. Removed the old battery routed the battery
> connections to terminals on the outside of the box and connected up a
> marine battery. It sets in a battery box with a vent to the outside and
> is also connected to an external charger that has a solar back-up. With
> the big battery I can count on a LOT more time (the same make/model runs
> the trolling motor on my boat for 12-18 hours and that takes far more
> power to run)
>
> --
> Steve W.

There's a big fire hazard with low voltage batteries in case of a short
circuit. Fuse the circuit at the battery (it's likely to have to be
a pretty big amperage fuse), and use only wires capable of carrying
that amperage.

The wires carry ten times more current than what you're used to with
household stuff at 110v, for the same wattage. You need much thicker
wires. The fuse has to blow before the wires heat up.

In case of need for emergency long term power, I'd put the battery and
inverter outdoors and run only 110v indoors with an extension
cord.
--
(E-Mail Removed)

rb

MZB Wrote:

> Well, my main printer is actually an old Epson Color 400. It is also
> about 10 years old but it works great and refuses to die. This is a
> parallel printer so it plugs into the LPT1 port
>
> Also, when I save critical files on my laptop, I also save it on my
> desktop (I have some SHARED folders), so I automatically have a backup.
> This plan seems to work fine for my needs. My desktop is on almost all
> the time. It can be off (and sometimes it is) and my laptops will work
> fine via the cable modem/router set up
>
> So, back to my question: any recommendations. Should I just get a
> replacement battery? I guess it might depend on prices, but I've made
> the tacit assumption that it makes sense to just replace the old UPS
> with a new one, but maybe not
>
> Me

I recommend APC....have 3 APC units ... ES725, BE750G, and an SMC 1000
BE750G is suitable for most home users and may be a good option for you
setup,
but best to use their online product 'wizard'(click #2 in ad) to find
unit for your specific needs--->
http://www.apc.com/site/products/ind...am/?segmentID=

You can also get upgrade and replacement battery info and
check for availability and price direct from APC-->
www.apc.com/tools/upgrade_selector

Steve W.

Ron Hardin wrote:
> Steve W. wrote:
>> MZB wrote:
>>> I have this old Dell Dimension 2400 desktop with a printer. The cable
>>> modem and router is also connected to it.
>>>
>>> Anyway, it continues to work great. It forms the base of a network (I
>>> have 2 laptops). I have had the desktop system for probably 10 years and
>>> an APC UPS connected to it for maybe 8 years.
>>>
>>> Finally, I am getting a message that the APC is about to give up the
>>> ghost (fully charged, the battery has only 5 minutes of backup time).
>>>
>>> Now, I guess I could just get a battery replacement, but I am thinking
>>> I'd rather just get a new UPS.
>>>
>>> So, any recommendations?
>>>
>>> Mel

>> If you have the room you could do what I did. I had a good UPS that the
>> battery went on. It used a single AGM 12 volt unit and gave you around
>> 20 minutes to shut down. Instead of buying the same battery I decided to
>> add some extra capacity. Removed the old battery routed the battery
>> connections to terminals on the outside of the box and connected up a
>> marine battery. It sets in a battery box with a vent to the outside and
>> is also connected to an external charger that has a solar back-up. With
>> the big battery I can count on a LOT more time (the same make/model runs
>> the trolling motor on my boat for 12-18 hours and that takes far more
>> power to run)
>>
>> --
>> Steve W.

> There's a big fire hazard with low voltage batteries in case of a short
> circuit. Fuse the circuit at the battery (it's likely to have to be
> a pretty big amperage fuse), and use only wires capable of carrying
> that amperage.

I did that once I determined the maximum draw on the unit when it is on
battery power. Mine run 7 amps. Battery leads are 10 gauge to the UPS
itself. More than enough to handle max draw.

> The wires carry ten times more current than what you're used to with
> household stuff at 110v, for the same wattage. You need much thicker
> wires. The fuse has to blow before the wires heat up.

All depends on how you set up the circuitry.

> In case of need for emergency long term power, I'd put the battery and
> inverter outdoors and run only 110v indoors with an extension
> cord.

The battery is in a battery box that is vented to the exterior.
Everything inside is sealed so that any possible gas build up is vented
outside.

--
Steve W.

clare@snyder.on.ca

On Fri, 04 May 2012 19:49:55 -0400, "Steve W." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ron Hardin wrote:
>> Steve W. wrote:

>>> If you have the room you could do what I did. I had a good UPS that the
>>> battery went on. It used a single AGM 12 volt unit and gave you around
>>> 20 minutes to shut down. Instead of buying the same battery I decided to
>>> add some extra capacity. Removed the old battery routed the battery
>>> connections to terminals on the outside of the box and connected up a
>>> marine battery. It sets in a battery box with a vent to the outside and
>>> is also connected to an external charger that has a solar back-up. With
>>> the big battery I can count on a LOT more time (the same make/model runs
>>> the trolling motor on my boat for 12-18 hours and that takes far more
>>> power to run)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Steve W.

>> There's a big fire hazard with low voltage batteries in case of a short
>> circuit. Fuse the circuit at the battery (it's likely to have to be
>> a pretty big amperage fuse), and use only wires capable of carrying
>> that amperage.

>I did that once I determined the maximum draw on the unit when it is on
>battery power. Mine run 7 amps. Battery leads are 10 gauge to the UPS
>itself. More than enough to handle max draw.
>

>> The wires carry ten times more current than what you're used to with
>> household stuff at 110v, for the same wattage. You need much thicker
>> wires. The fuse has to blow before the wires heat up.

>All depends on how you set up the circuitry.
>

>> In case of need for emergency long term power, I'd put the battery and
>> inverter outdoors and run only 110v indoors with an extension
>> cord.

>The battery is in a battery box that is vented to the exterior.
>Everything inside is sealed so that any possible gas build up is vented
>outside.

I'd just use a yellow-top Optima and forget about it.