Need recommendation for Thinkpad T Series laptop with powerfulgraphics coprocessor

avi10000

Hi all,

RE: Need recommendation for Thinkpad T Series laptop with powerful
graphics coprocessor

I need recommendations for Thinkpad T Series laptop with a powerful
graphics coprocessor for doing multimedia recordings at my clients.

I need something that is not so heavy, so I am looking at the T400.

Further, I understand I need a laptop with a *discreet* graphics
coprocessor. Also, I remember reading somewhere that that's not
enough: there must also be dedicated video RAM, i.e., *not* shared RAM
with the CPU (or something else). Can somebody confirm the dedicated
RAM issue.

There are millions of configurations now. I can't find the right one I
am looking for. Can anybody help.

TIA

avi

Steve Stone

avi10000 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> RE: Need recommendation for Thinkpad T Series laptop with powerful
> graphics coprocessor

I thought the T series machines were built for business use, not
screaming graphics or number crunching???

avi10000

On Dec 23, 4:59*am, Steve Stone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> avi10000 wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > * *RE: *Need recommendation for Thinkpad T Series laptop with powerful
> > graphics coprocessor

> I thought the T series machines were built for business use, not
> screaming graphics or number crunching???

Thanks.

I suppose you are correct, but they are also very powerful.
One of my clients uses a ThinkPad T61 for this multimedia recording
stuff very successfully.
It has an NVIDIA Quad GPU.

avi

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs avi10000 wrote:
> On Dec 23, 4:59 am, Steve Stone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> avi10000 wrote:
>>> Hi all,

>>> RE: Need recommendation for Thinkpad T Series laptop with powerful
>>> graphics coprocessor

>> I thought the T series machines were built for business use, not
>> screaming graphics or number crunching???

> Thanks.
>
> I suppose you are correct, but they are also very powerful.
> One of my clients uses a ThinkPad T61 for this multimedia recording
> stuff very successfully.
> It has an NVIDIA Quad GPU.

I think that you'll find that's a nVidia *Quadro* GPU.

The T series are simply the best ThinkPads. Yes, they're used for business
use, as well as academic use. They're built to last and, as such, have
reasonably powerful graphics solutions. I'm not talking Alienware powerful
but pretty damn good.

Even this old T60 has an ATI X1400 GPU with 128MB of dedicated VRAM and will
play a lot of the games that I still play. (I stopped chasing the latest and
greatest game titles a few years ago when I realised that they are all just
variations on a theme, albeit with varying degrees of eye-candy. I have a
beast of a desktop that will do all that but I only turn it on a couple
times a month, just to let it run long enough to warm up and drive out any
moisture. Some would say a waste of a machine but, for what I'd get for it
compared to what I paid for it I'll keep it.)

I'm sure this T60 will do me for general computoing and light gaming for
quite a few years yet.
--
Shaun.

avi10000

> The T series are simply the best ThinkPads. Yes, they're used for business
> use, as well as academic use. They're built to last and, as such, have
> reasonably powerful graphics solutions.

At just about all of my clients their R&D use ThinkPad T series for
programming (starting from T30 - maybe earlier).

avi

On Dec 23, 12:58*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs avi10000 wrote:

> >> I thought the T series machines were built for business use, not
> >> screaming graphics or number crunching???

> > Thanks.

> > I suppose you are correct, but they are also very powerful.
> > One of my clients uses a ThinkPad T61 for this multimedia recording
> > stuff very successfully.
> > It has an NVIDIA Quad GPU.

> I think that you'll find that's a nVidia *Quadro* GPU.
>
> The T series are simply the best ThinkPads. Yes, they're used for business
> use, as well as academic use. They're built to last and, as such, have
> reasonably powerful graphics solutions. I'm not talking Alienware powerful
> but pretty damn good.
>
> Even this old T60 has an ATI X1400 GPU with 128MB of dedicated VRAM and will
> play a lot of the games that I still play. (I stopped chasing the latest and
> greatest game titles a few years ago when I realised that they are all just
> variations on a theme, albeit with varying degrees of eye-candy. I have a
> beast of a desktop that will do all that but I only turn it on a couple
> times a month, just to let it run long enough to warm up and drive out any
> moisture. Some would say a waste of a machine but, for what I'd get for it
> compared to what I paid for it I'll keep it.)
>
> I'm sure this T60 will do me for general computoing and light gaming for
> quite a few years yet.
> --
> Shaun.
>
> "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's
> warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

Regis

avi10000 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> RE: Need recommendation for Thinkpad T Series laptop with powerful
> graphics coprocessor
>
> I need recommendations for Thinkpad T Series laptop with a powerful
> graphics coprocessor for doing multimedia recordings at my clients.
>
> I need something that is not so heavy, so I am looking at the T400.
>
> Further, I understand I need a laptop with a *discreet* graphics
> coprocessor. Also, I remember reading somewhere that that's not
> enough: there must also be dedicated video RAM, i.e., *not* shared RAM
> with the CPU (or something else). Can somebody confirm the dedicated
> RAM issue.
>
> There are millions of configurations now. I can't find the right one I
> am looking for. Can anybody help.

It is hard. Might look at the new W series too as that's where your
highest performance will be found. I think all W series stuff has
discreet graphics. T series as you probably know can be found in both
flavors.

Differentiator between T and W series will be whether you want a 4:3
or 16:9 widescreen format. You can find separate graphics on both T
and W series. W series weigh in at 5.8lb with 6cell battery (just
like the T series with the 6 cell battery).

The W500 is ISV certified with Avid for whatever it's worth, as noted
in its datasheet. T400 doesn't list such an ISV certification in its
datasheet.

Happy hunting.

DM355 Coprocessor amerdsp Embedded 3 03-05-2008 06:47 AM
uC with AES hardware coprocessor? David Kelly Embedded 0 03-21-2007 02:19 AM
Examples of applications using coprocessor interface Praveen Krishnamurthy Embedded 0 04-11-2005 03:12 PM
FA: 11 80C286 coprocessor boards for ISA bus. Cult of Nurse's Embedded 0 11-17-2003 04:47 PM
Problem with reloaded Sun Blade 100 and Sun PCI pro coprocessor card Kevin B. Sun Hardware 1 09-04-2003 04:54 AM