Need some advice about hard drive setup

NoRemorse

Hi.

I have the 8INXP board. (It has 2 IDE ports in the chipset, 2 IDE ports
using the Promise controller, and 2 SATA ports using the Silicon Image 3112
controller.) I have WinXP running from a 60GB drive (7200 rpm, 2MB cache)
connected to one of the chipset IDE ports. I just bought a 300GB drive (7200
rpm, 16MB cache) and it's connected to the SATA controller. My question is
this: would I get any noticeable performance increase if I booted my
computer from the SATA drive (using the F6 drivers)?

Basically, I'm wondering if the PCI bus limitation of the SATA controller
would negate the benefits of having a faster drive with a bigger cache.

I'm also wondering what kind of performance increase I could expect if I
bought another identical 300GB drive and striped those together on the SATA
controller and booted from the RAID array.

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

Re: Need some Laptop Hard drive help Ben Myers Gateway 1 02-28-2009 03:07 AM
drive setup and some of its options B'ichela Apple 1 10-22-2007 03:13 AM
Need help adding a new hard drive to a RAID setup cooch Gigabyte 1 10-31-2005 11:58 PM
Need some advice ...... Shogun Asus 7 12-08-2003 05:04 PM
I need some advice on reformatting my hard drive Jamie Parker Dell 1 06-25-2003 12:23 PM