Need tech advice not really related to my Gateway...

chicagofan

I know there used to be some smart people who lurked here to help folks
like me, so I'm back. Are you there, Ben, anyone?

I have an old Activision game that they stopped updating with Win 98.
Some people have been able to get Shanghai II to work with XP, although
my laptop says XP in some places, it says NT... in more, which I don't
understand, and it won't install normally. It says game not for NT.

Anyway, I think the biggest problem is the graphics card I have, won't
handle 256 color resolution. Is there *ANYTHING* I can do to get this
old game to play on my laptop?

http://www.amazon.com/Shanghai-Doubl.../dp/B00004T9C8

Some people have partitioned their drive and formatted it in DOS to play
their game, but I would still have the graphics problem, wouldn't I?
Thanks for *any* and all suggestions... I really want this game back.

Barbara

[Gateway MX 6440/ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M series]

Ken Whiton

*-* On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, at 23:17:42 -0400,
*-* In Article <im3rks$e9n$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
*-* chicagofan wrote
*-* About Need tech advice not really related to my Gateway...

> I know there used to be some smart people who lurked here to help
> folks like me, so I'm back. Are you there, Ben, anyone?

> I have an old Activision game that they stopped updating with Win
> 98. Some people have been able to get Shanghai II to work with XP,
> although my laptop says XP in some places, it says NT... in more,
> which I don't understand,

That's normal. Windows XP identifies itself as "Windows NT 5.1".
See your "User-Agent:" string, which I've quoted above. Similarly,
Windows Vista identifies itself as "Windows NT 6.0" and Windows 7
identifies itself as "Windows NT 6.1".

> and it won't install normally. It says
> game not for NT.

> Anyway, I think the biggest problem is the graphics card I have,
> won't handle 256 color resolution. Is there *ANYTHING* I can do to
> get this old game to play on my laptop?

> http://www.amazon.com/Shanghai-Doubl.../dp/B00004T9C8

At least four of the reviews on the right side of that page are
from people who have gotten it to run under XP, and they go on to give
instructions on how to do it. Click on the "Read more" link under any
of those truncated right-side reviews to open a page where you can
read the complete reviews and see the instructions. These four
reviews all have instructions for installing it under XP:

Published 23 months ago by little miss sure shot
Published on November 10, 2008 by J. Snellman
Published on August 9, 2008 by Kevin Murphy
Published on April 13, 2006 by Clyde Gatton

> Some people have partitioned their drive and formatted it in DOS to
> play their game, but I would still have the graphics problem,
> wouldn't I? Thanks for *any* and all suggestions... I really want
> this game back.

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: (E-Mail Removed) (remove the obvious to reply)

BillW50

On 3/19/2011 10:17 PM, chicagofan wrote:
> Some people have partitioned their drive and formatted it in DOS to play
> their game, but I would still have the graphics problem, wouldn't I?
> Thanks for *any* and all suggestions... I really want this game back.

To add to Ken's reply. DOS usually doesn't use a video driver. So I
don't think you would see a graphic problem under DOS.

And while making a DOS partition on your system is a good way to do
this, it isn't the only way. As you can run DOS from other devices too
like CD, flash, external HD, etc. The only complicated part is making
the device bootable. Which isn't really that hard. And the method is
different depending on the type of device.

If you want to try this game under DOS. The easiest way is probably from
a Windows 9x install disc. Since it allows you to boot to DOS and to
skip the install part.

And since DOS may not see your hard drive because it may not be in FAT
format or too large or something. But you could run the game on another
CD disc instead if this is a problem.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era)

chicagofan

Ken Whiton wrote:
> *-* On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, at 23:17:42 -0400,
> *-* In Article<im3rks$e9n$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> *-* chicagofan wrote
> *-* About Need tech advice not really related to my Gateway...

>> I know there used to be some smart people who lurked here to help
>> folks like me, so I'm back. Are you there, Ben, anyone?
>>
>> I have an old Activision game that they stopped updating with Win
>> 98. Some people have been able to get Shanghai II to work with XP,
>> although my laptop says XP in some places, it says NT... in more,
>> which I don't understand,
>>

> That's normal. Windows XP identifies itself as "Windows NT 5.1".
> See your "User-Agent:" string, which I've quoted above. Similarly,
> Windows Vista identifies itself as "Windows NT 6.0" and Windows 7
> identifies itself as "Windows NT 6.1".
>
>> and it won't install normally. It says
>> game not for NT.
>>
>> Anyway, I think the biggest problem is the graphics card I have,
>> won't handle 256 color resolution. Is there *ANYTHING* I can do to
>> get this old game to play on my laptop?
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Shanghai-Doubl.../dp/B00004T9C8
>>

> At least four of the reviews on the right side of that page are
> from people who have gotten it to run under XP, and they go on to give
> instructions on how to do it. Click on the "Read more" link under any
> of those truncated right-side reviews to open a page where you can
> read the complete reviews and see the instructions. These four
> reviews all have instructions for installing it under XP:
>
> Published 23 months ago by little miss sure shot
> Published on November 10, 2008 by J. Snellman
> Published on August 9, 2008 by Kevin Murphy
> Published on April 13, 2006 by Clyde Gatton
> Ken Whiton

I had already read and copied those solutions, to wait for answers from
my gurus here, to see what *drawbacks* might come up, that could help me
evaluate their remedies.

Kevin Murphy's is the one I thought I would try first, now that I've
found that my graphics card does have a hidden 256 color adapter.

*ALL THAT IS REQUIRED IS THAT YOU GET THE GRAPHICS INTO 8-bit MODE* for
the install.

*Instructions for XP SP3*:

Step 1: Use "My Computer" to find the Shanghai CD in your CD drive.
_*Open the SH2DE folder and look for an application called SETUP.EXE*_.
You may not be set up to see the ".EXE" part of the name, so just look
for the "application" called SETUP.

Step 2: Now get your graphics card into 8-bit mode. Right click on empty
desktop and choose Properties from the drop down). Choose the SETTINGS
tab. If the Color Quality choices include 8-bit or "low" of "256",
choose that. *Otherwise, click the button marked ADVANCED. Click the
ADAPTER tab. Click the "LIST ALL MODES" button. Write down the current
selection (you will come back here in step 4 and choose this). Scroll up
until you see a similar resolution with 256 colors. Choose that. Hit
"OK" until all the windows close. You will get an AWFUL color display.
Accept it for the moment*.

Step 3: _*Double click on the SETUP program from step 1. THis will
install Shanghai*_.

Step 4: _*Repeat Step 2, but choose your original resolution and color
selection, and hit OK until it's done*._ Shanghai runs just fine with
16-bit, 24-bit or 32-bit color. The stupid install program doesn't know
that, but we're now past that, forever.

I only have updated to WinXP-SP 2. What do you think? Thanks for
your response, and letting me know the NT identity is normal.
bj

chicagofan

BillW50 wrote:
> On 3/19/2011 10:17 PM, chicagofan wrote:
>
>> Some people have partitioned their drive and formatted it in DOS to play
>> their game, but I would still have the graphics problem, wouldn't I?
>> Thanks for *any* and all suggestions... I really want this game back.
>>

> To add to Ken's reply. DOS usually doesn't use a video driver. So I
> don't think you would see a graphic problem under DOS.
>
> And while making a DOS partition on your system is a good way to do
> this, it isn't the only way. As you can run DOS from other devices too
> like CD, flash, external HD, etc. The only complicated part is making
> the device bootable. Which isn't really that hard. And the method is
> different depending on the type of device.
>
> If you want to try this game under DOS. The easiest way is probably from
> a Windows 9x install disc. Since it allows you to boot to DOS and to
> skip the install part.
>
> And since DOS may not see your hard drive because it may not be in FAT
> format or too large or something. But you could run the game on another
> CD disc instead if this is a problem.

Thanks, Bill! Since I'm not very tech savvy, I think using DOS, will be
my last ditch effort, because it requires so much. I am bound to mess
something up. However, I do want this game on my laptop badly, so it
may come to that. Thanks for the suggestions.
bj

BillW50

On 3/20/2011 12:45 PM, chicagofan wrote:
> *ALL THAT IS REQUIRED IS THAT YOU GET THE GRAPHICS INTO 8-bit MODE* for
> the install.
>
> *Instructions for XP SP3*:
>
> Step 1: Use "My Computer" to find the Shanghai CD in your CD drive.
> _*Open the SH2DE folder and look for an application called SETUP.EXE*_.
> You may not be set up to see the ".EXE" part of the name, so just look
> for the "application" called SETUP.
>
> Step 2: Now get your graphics card into 8-bit mode. Right click on empty
> desktop and choose Properties from the drop down). Choose the SETTINGS
> tab. If the Color Quality choices include 8-bit or "low" of "256",
> choose that. *Otherwise, click the button marked ADVANCED. Click the
> ADAPTER tab. Click the "LIST ALL MODES" button. Write down the current
> selection (you will come back here in step 4 and choose this). Scroll up
> until you see a similar resolution with 256 colors. Choose that. Hit
> "OK" until all the windows close. You will get an AWFUL color display.
> Accept it for the moment*.
>
> Step 3: _*Double click on the SETUP program from step 1. THis will
> install Shanghai*_.
>
> Step 4: _*Repeat Step 2, but choose your original resolution and color
> selection, and hit OK until it's done*._ Shanghai runs just fine with
> 16-bit, 24-bit or 32-bit color. The stupid install program doesn't know
> that, but we're now past that, forever.
>

> I only have updated to WinXP-SP 2. What do you think?

You should have no problem. As getting SP2 into 8-bit graphic mode works
exactly the same way.

--

BillW50 wrote:
> On 3/20/2011 12:45 PM, chicagofan wrote:
>
>> *ALL THAT IS REQUIRED IS THAT YOU GET THE GRAPHICS INTO 8-bit MODE* for
>> the install.
>>
>> *Instructions for XP SP3*:
>>
>> Step 1: Use "My Computer" to find the Shanghai CD in your CD drive.
>> _*Open the SH2DE folder and look for an application called SETUP.EXE*_.
>> You may not be set up to see the ".EXE" part of the name, so just look
>> for the "application" called SETUP.
>>
>> Step 2: Now get your graphics card into 8-bit mode. Right click on empty
>> desktop and choose Properties from the drop down). Choose the SETTINGS
>> tab. If the Color Quality choices include 8-bit or "low" of "256",
>> choose that. *Otherwise, click the button marked ADVANCED. Click the
>> ADAPTER tab. Click the "LIST ALL MODES" button. Write down the current
>> selection (you will come back here in step 4 and choose this). Scroll up
>> until you see a similar resolution with 256 colors. Choose that. Hit
>> "OK" until all the windows close. You will get an AWFUL color display.
>> Accept it for the moment*.
>>
>> Step 3: _*Double click on the SETUP program from step 1. THis will
>> install Shanghai*_.
>>
>> Step 4: _*Repeat Step 2, but choose your original resolution and color
>> selection, and hit OK until it's done*._ Shanghai runs just fine with
>> 16-bit, 24-bit or 32-bit color. The stupid install program doesn't know
>> that, but we're now past that, forever.
>>

>> I only have updated to WinXP-SP 2. What do you think?
>>

> You should have no problem. As getting SP2 into 8-bit graphic mode works
> exactly the same way.

My graphics card says 256 color, but not 8 bit... is that the same?
bj

BillW50

On 3/20/2011 1:16 PM, chicagofan wrote:
> BillW50 wrote:
>> On 3/20/2011 12:45 PM, chicagofan wrote:
>>> *ALL THAT IS REQUIRED IS THAT YOU GET THE GRAPHICS INTO 8-bit MODE* for
>>> the install.
>>>
>>> *Instructions for XP SP3*:
>>>
>>> Step 1: Use "My Computer" to find the Shanghai CD in your CD drive.
>>> _*Open the SH2DE folder and look for an application called SETUP.EXE*_.
>>> You may not be set up to see the ".EXE" part of the name, so just look
>>> for the "application" called SETUP.
>>>
>>> Step 2: Now get your graphics card into 8-bit mode. Right click on empty
>>> desktop and choose Properties from the drop down). Choose the SETTINGS
>>> tab. If the Color Quality choices include 8-bit or "low" of "256",
>>> choose that. *Otherwise, click the button marked ADVANCED. Click the
>>> ADAPTER tab. Click the "LIST ALL MODES" button. Write down the current
>>> selection (you will come back here in step 4 and choose this). Scroll up
>>> until you see a similar resolution with 256 colors. Choose that. Hit
>>> "OK" until all the windows close. You will get an AWFUL color display.
>>> Accept it for the moment*.
>>>
>>> Step 3: _*Double click on the SETUP program from step 1. THis will
>>> install Shanghai*_.
>>>
>>> Step 4: _*Repeat Step 2, but choose your original resolution and color
>>> selection, and hit OK until it's done*._ Shanghai runs just fine with
>>> 16-bit, 24-bit or 32-bit color. The stupid install program doesn't know
>>> that, but we're now past that, forever.
>>>

>>> I only have updated to WinXP-SP 2. What do you think?

>> You should have no problem. As getting SP2 into 8-bit graphic mode works
>> exactly the same way.
>>

> My graphics card says 256 color, but not 8 bit... is that the same?
> bj

Yes.

--

BillW50 wrote:
> On 3/20/2011 1:16 PM, chicagofan wrote:
>
>> BillW50 wrote:

>>> You should have no problem. As getting SP2 into 8-bit graphic mode works
>>> exactly the same way.
>>>

>> My graphics card says 256 color, but not 8 bit... is that the same?
>> bj
>>

> Yes.

Thanks, Bill!!! I may not get to it today, but I'll be trying this very
soon!

This is a happy day. The Great Moments games challenge your memory
about history, art, inventions, music, etc.. I really hate that
Activision abandoned it. They could have updated the pictures/events to
appeal to younger generations. <sigh>

Thanks again!
bj

SC Tom

"chicagofan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:im3rks$e9n$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>I know there used to be some smart people who lurked here to help folks
>like me, so I'm back. Are you there, Ben, anyone?
>
> I have an old Activision game that they stopped updating with Win 98.
> Some people have been able to get Shanghai II to work with XP, although my
> laptop says XP in some places, it says NT... in more, which I don't
> understand, and it won't install normally. It says game not for NT.
>
> Anyway, I think the biggest problem is the graphics card I have, won't
> handle 256 color resolution. Is there *ANYTHING* I can do to get this
> old game to play on my laptop?
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Shanghai-Doubl.../dp/B00004T9C8
>
> Some people have partitioned their drive and formatted it in DOS to play
> their game, but I would still have the graphics problem, wouldn't I?
> Thanks for *any* and all suggestions... I really want this game back.
>
> Barbara
>
> [Gateway MX 6440/ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M series]

Have you tried running the game in compatibility mode? I have an old DOS
poker game that I run on XP SP3 by that method. Right-click on your game
shortcut and pick Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab and pick
Windows 98 or Windows 95 and check the box next to Run in 256 colors. Click
OK to save and exit.

If it won't install, you can also try installing it in compatibility mode
using the same method even if you're installing from CD. You might not want
to check the 256 colors, but otherwise, it should install, then you can edit
the shortcut properties.
--
SC Tom

LIVE PROJECTS FOR FINAL YEAR STUDENTS 2008-09 M.Tech,B.E/B.Tech(CSE/ISE/ECE/EEE/IT), MCA, BCA. clusterindia01@gmail.com Embedded 0 12-04-2008 12:05 PM
High-tech vs. cheap-tech bbbl67 Intel 20 04-14-2006 05:45 PM
Is the 6600GT *really* 4x as fast as the ATI 9600pro? (tech guy said this..) Newbie Nvidia 13 12-27-2005 07:02 AM
Toshiba Satellite (really really really slow) did I miss something? Joseph Laptops 1 11-03-2005 02:55 AM
Is ASUS tech support in US really bad? Sergio Borrero Asus 7 02-25-2004 03:29 AM