Need tip on OC w ECS P-35TA + E6400

MickT

Greeting

Long story shot, I wish to OC my E6400 more with P-35TA with 2×1GB DDR2-800

I'd searched the web, and found out the P-35TA in not a very overclockable
MB, mainly because minimal seting for the memory speed & voltage. But the
E6400 are quite the opposite!

accroding to the review from XbitLabs:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mai...a_6.html#sect0

Assume that my DDR2-800 only run at stock speed and my E6400 is good, I
should able to do :

mem@ 400 = DDR2-800
mem:CPU divider = 5:4 (locked)
CPU@ 320 × 8 =2560

But if I set the CPU to anything higher than 298 and restart, the BIOS will
simply set it back to 266 and a warnig message something like " 226 CPU is
installed & blah, blah, blah... " and force you to go into the BIOS setup.

I think I'd oversaw something in the BIOS setting and need your help to
point my for the right direction.

TIA

RobV

MickT wrote:
> Greeting
>
> Long story shot, I wish to OC my E6400 more with P-35TA with 2×1GB
> DDR2-800
>
> I'd searched the web, and found out the P-35TA in not a very
> overclockable MB, mainly because minimal seting for the memory speed
> & voltage. But the E6400 are quite the opposite!
>
> accroding to the review from XbitLabs:
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mai...a_6.html#sect0
>
> Assume that my DDR2-800 only run at stock speed and my E6400 is good,
> I should able to do :
>
> mem@ 400 = DDR2-800
> mem:CPU divider = 5:4 (locked)
> CPU@ 320 × 8 =2560
>
> But if I set the CPU to anything higher than 298 and restart, the
> BIOS will simply set it back to 266 and a warnig message something
> like " 226 CPU is installed & blah, blah, blah... " and force you to
> go into the BIOS setup.
> I think I'd oversaw something in the BIOS setting and need your help
> to point my for the right direction.
>
> TIA

It's unusual for a CPU to run at a higher than rated speed without
increasing the core voltage. Try increasing the Vcore by one step, then
another, till you get a stable running system. Do not go too far,
though. The maximum rated voltage is 1.3525V (although, with good
cooling, it will probably take more...slightly more).

If you haven't yet, set the timings and voltage for the memory manually.
Set at recommended timings and voltage.

RobV

RobV wrote:
> MickT wrote:
>> Greeting
>>
>> Long story shot, I wish to OC my E6400 more with P-35TA with 2×1GB
>> DDR2-800
>>
>> I'd searched the web, and found out the P-35TA in not a very
>> overclockable MB, mainly because minimal seting for the memory speed
>> & voltage. But the E6400 are quite the opposite!
>>
>> accroding to the review from XbitLabs:
>> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mai...a_6.html#sect0
>>
>> Assume that my DDR2-800 only run at stock speed and my E6400 is good,
>> I should able to do :
>>
>> mem@ 400 = DDR2-800
>> mem:CPU divider = 5:4 (locked)
>> CPU@ 320 × 8 =2560
>>
>> But if I set the CPU to anything higher than 298 and restart, the
>> BIOS will simply set it back to 266 and a warnig message something
>> like " 226 CPU is installed & blah, blah, blah... " and force you to
>> go into the BIOS setup.
>> I think I'd oversaw something in the BIOS setting and need your help
>> to point my for the right direction.
>>
>> TIA

> It's unusual for a CPU to run at a higher than rated speed without
> increasing the core voltage. Try increasing the Vcore by one step,
> then another, till you get a stable running system. Do not go too
> far, though. The maximum rated voltage is 1.3525V (although, with
> good cooling, it will probably take more...slightly more).
>
> If you haven't yet, set the timings and voltage for the memory
> manually. Set at recommended timings and voltage.

One other thing. You didn't mention what brand memory, but in some
cases, the memory voltage must be set a bit higher to run at rated
speed. For example, my Corsair DDR800 memory needs to run at 2.0V, even
though standard voltage for DDR800 is 1.8V and it is rated at 1.9V.

MickT

Thanks, I will try your suggestion later.
But I still think there must be some setting in the BIOS to suppress the
warnning massage.

"RobV" <(E-Mail Removed)> 撰寫於郵件新聞:475f5bfe$0$4989$4c368faf@roadrunner .com...

MickT wrote:
> Thanks, I will try your suggestion later.
> But I still think there must be some setting in the BIOS to suppress
> the warnning massage.

Sit down and read your manual, especially the section on the BIOS. All
settings should be listed there.

> "RobV" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> 撰寫於郵件新聞:475f5bfe$0$4989$4c368faf@roadrunner .com...
>> RobV wrote:

>>> It's unusual for a CPU to run at a higher than rated speed without
>>> increasing the core voltage. Try increasing the Vcore by one step,
>>> then another, till you get a stable running system. Do not go too
>>> far, though. The maximum rated voltage is 1.3525V (although, with
>>> good cooling, it will probably take more...slightly more).
>>>
>>> If you haven't yet, set the timings and voltage for the memory
>>> manually. Set at recommended timings and voltage.

>> One other thing. You didn't mention what brand memory, but in some
>> cases, the memory voltage must be set a bit higher to run at rated
>> speed. For example, my Corsair DDR800 memory needs to run at 2.0V,
>> even though standard voltage for DDR800 is 1.8V and it is rated at
>> 1.9V.

Fishface

MickT wrote:

> Thanks, I will try your suggestion later.
> But I still think there must be some setting in the BIOS
> to suppress the warnning massage.

Yes, the warning message that you couldn't quite quote!

I have had some experience with ECS boards recently,
but not that one in particular. I did also get a message that
warned of the 266Mhz processor and asked if I wanted to
try to run it at that speed. I said yes and it did.

The P35 chipset supports the 1333 FSB processors, but
I do not know if your particular board does. You could try
to BSEL mod it for that speed and it will try to run at 2666.
That is, if the board gives the CPU enough voltage. Mine all
undervolt, plus there is a hefty vDroop. I tried modding VID
pins to get more voltage, and when I asked for 1.375v, it
gave me 1.325v with no load. This was enough to run it, but
not under load, where it dropped to 1.26v.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=132900

I used a tiny piece of aluminum foil cut to the exact shape
with an X-acto knife. I used a little Post-it glue, rubbed from
a Post-it note to hold it in place. It's very exacting work. The
pressure of the pins in the socket forced contact. I don't
know about the long term viability of this technique using
dissimilar metals but it was certainly useful for easily reversible
testing. Maybe a thin copper foil would be better, unless the
pads are not actually copper but gold! But I didn't have any.

If you could determine to what speed your CPU will overclock
and at which voltage on a more overclocking friendly
motherboard, it would be a lot easier to determine what might
work on the ECS board. I decided that, although this was fun
to try, it's not really worth the time to mess with the ECS boards
in the future, at least not with overclocking in mind.

MickT

Thank you very much

Thanks for your experience about the warning message, which give me the idea
of "just ignore it", and the board actually WILL past POST and run at the
clocked speed

Okay, the actual warning message is:

" A 267MHZ system bus processor is installed. This processor is not
supported
on this system board, and will run at reduced processor clock speed. System
performance will be impacted.

Press DEL to run Setup
....... "

So I always press DEL and change a lower bus speed, I am too caution about
the warning message.

Also, thanks for the HW mod suggestion, but I don't even know how to use a
soldering iron, so I better stick to SW OC.

Now, the FSB is clocked from 266 to 320MHz. And I am running Stress Prime
2004 for over 47 min and still clean, looking good, and I am very happy with
the result

So thanks again for your help again! And... May the force be with you