New 8300: Scratches and missing feet: Advice needed

Thomas G. Marshall

My brand new Dimension 8300 [from the business division] has medium-heavy
scratches on the left panel along the edge on the back.

Like if someone place the system on its left side on a gravely surface,
lifted the front up 6 inches so that only the back left edge was touching,
and dragged it forward maybe a foot or 2.

Also, when I looked underneath to see why it was wobly, two of the round
little plastic feet were missing.

1. How can I tell if I was shipped a refurb by mistake (is that even
likely?????) What do you think?

2. What is the best way to handle the situation: Call dell, email dell, or
try to "chat" with one online using that IM-esque interface they have?

Thanks,

Thomas

joe_tide

For some reason they only have the feet on the back.

The scratches are your decision. I'd call.

You can also return it, but I'd call firt so I didn't have to pay shipping
back to Dell.

"Thomas G. Marshall" <(E-Mail Removed). com>
wrote in message news:VTUcc.9655$(E-Mail Removed)...

> My brand new Dimension 8300 [from the business division] has medium-heavy
> scratches on the left panel along the edge on the back.
>
> Like if someone place the system on its left side on a gravely surface,
> lifted the front up 6 inches so that only the back left edge was touching,
> and dragged it forward maybe a foot or 2.
>
> Also, when I looked underneath to see why it was wobly, two of the round
> little plastic feet were missing.
>
> 1. How can I tell if I was shipped a refurb by mistake (is that even
> likely?????) What do you think?
>
> 2. What is the best way to handle the situation: Call dell, email dell, or
> try to "chat" with one online using that IM-esque interface they have?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas

S.Lewis

"Thomas G. Marshall" <(E-Mail Removed). com>
wrote in message news:VTUcc.9655$(E-Mail Removed)...

> My brand new Dimension 8300 [from the business division] has medium-heavy
> scratches on the left panel along the edge on the back.
>
> Like if someone place the system on its left side on a gravely surface,
> lifted the front up 6 inches so that only the back left edge was touching,
> and dragged it forward maybe a foot or 2.
>
> Also, when I looked underneath to see why it was wobly, two of the round
> little plastic feet were missing.
>
> 1. How can I tell if I was shipped a refurb by mistake (is that even
> likely?????) What do you think?
>
> 2. What is the best way to handle the situation: Call dell, email dell, or
> try to "chat" with one online using that IM-esque interface they have?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas

Call and exchange it. Period. There are only two "foot pads" on those
machines. I recall that topic coming up back in the Dimension 4400-4500
days, so that is normal.

The scratches are unacceptable and suggest rough handling somewhere. Don't
guess what that might've been. Have them ship you a replacement tower
(only) and keep everything else if the external stuff is fine.

Call customer service, I'd think. You could try e-mail, but just be aware
you have 30 days from your INVOICE date to return it. Also, be sure that
Dell picks up the shipping charge.

Good luck.

Stew

Thomas G. Marshall

"S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bUVcc.8$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Thomas G. Marshall"

<(E-Mail Removed). com>
> wrote in message news:VTUcc.9655$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > My brand new Dimension 8300 [from the business division] has

medium-heavy
> > scratches on the left panel along the edge on the back.
> >
> > Like if someone place the system on its left side on a gravely surface,
> > lifted the front up 6 inches so that only the back left edge was

touching,
> > and dragged it forward maybe a foot or 2.
> >
> > Also, when I looked underneath to see why it was wobly, two of the round
> > little plastic feet were missing.
> >
> > 1. How can I tell if I was shipped a refurb by mistake (is that even
> > likely?????) What do you think?
> >
> > 2. What is the best way to handle the situation: Call dell, email dell,

or
> > try to "chat" with one online using that IM-esque interface they have?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Thomas
> >

> Call and exchange it. Period. There are only two "foot pads" on those
> machines. I recall that topic coming up back in the Dimension 4400-4500
> days, so that is normal.

But there are two little round holes for missing feet---it was /meant/ to
have them I think. As if they one day said: we're going to cut costs and
produce only half as many feet as needed, so put them in the back.

> The scratches are unacceptable and suggest rough handling somewhere.

Don't
> guess what that might've been. Have them ship you a replacement tower
> (only) and keep everything else if the external stuff is fine.

{sigh}. Can I wait until the replacement one arrives before shipping this
one out I wonder?

> Call customer service, I'd think. You could try e-mail, but just be aware
> you have 30 days from your INVOICE date to return it.

Key point. Thanks!

> Also, be sure that
> Dell picks up the shipping charge.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Stew

joe_tide

Tom,

I have two 8300's. Feet in the back - no feet in the front. Holes for them,
but they don't have them.

If Stew says they don't come with them, you can take that to the bank.

wrote in message news:ic0dc.1328$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bUVcc.8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Thomas G. Marshall"

> <(E-Mail Removed). com>
> > wrote in message news:VTUcc.9655$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > My brand new Dimension 8300 [from the business division] has

> medium-heavy
> > > scratches on the left panel along the edge on the back.
> > >
> > > Like if someone place the system on its left side on a gravely

surface,
> > > lifted the front up 6 inches so that only the back left edge was

> touching,
> > > and dragged it forward maybe a foot or 2.
> > >
> > > Also, when I looked underneath to see why it was wobly, two of the

round
> > > little plastic feet were missing.
> > >
> > > 1. How can I tell if I was shipped a refurb by mistake (is that even
> > > likely?????) What do you think?
> > >
> > > 2. What is the best way to handle the situation: Call dell, email

dell,
> or
> > > try to "chat" with one online using that IM-esque interface they have?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Thomas
> > >

> > Call and exchange it. Period. There are only two "foot pads" on those
> > machines. I recall that topic coming up back in the Dimension 4400-4500
> > days, so that is normal.

> But there are two little round holes for missing feet---it was /meant/ to
> have them I think. As if they one day said: we're going to cut costs and
> produce only half as many feet as needed, so put them in the back.
>

> > The scratches are unacceptable and suggest rough handling somewhere.

> Don't
> > guess what that might've been. Have them ship you a replacement tower
> > (only) and keep everything else if the external stuff is fine.

> {sigh}. Can I wait until the replacement one arrives before shipping this
> one out I wonder?
>

> > Call customer service, I'd think. You could try e-mail, but just be

aware
> > you have 30 days from your INVOICE date to return it.

> Key point. Thanks!
>
> > Also, be sure that
> > Dell picks up the shipping charge.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > Stew

veryweezy

hey what are stewpid? didn't you read the damn system spec?! did it SAY
two feet?! huh well did it? all you whiners come here to complain about
your missing feet. dell puts them in the same placing as their missing HD
and floppy brackets, ie. their parts division so they can screw you a second
time. now stop complaining about your missing feet and hobble along. this
thread is proof that dell is selling crippled systems!

"Thomas G. Marshall" <(E-Mail Removed). com>
wrote in message news:VTUcc.9655$(E-Mail Removed)...

> My brand new Dimension 8300 [from the business division] has medium-heavy
> scratches on the left panel along the edge on the back.
>
> Like if someone place the system on its left side on a gravely surface,
> lifted the front up 6 inches so that only the back left edge was touching,
> and dragged it forward maybe a foot or 2.
>
> Also, when I looked underneath to see why it was wobly, two of the round
> little plastic feet were missing.
>
> 1. How can I tell if I was shipped a refurb by mistake (is that even
> likely?????) What do you think?
>
> 2. What is the best way to handle the situation: Call dell, email dell, or
> try to "chat" with one online using that IM-esque interface they have?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas

S.Lewis

"Thomas G. Marshall" <(E-Mail Removed). com>
wrote in message news:ic0dc.1328$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bUVcc.8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Thomas G. Marshall"

> <(E-Mail Removed). com>
> > wrote in message news:VTUcc.9655$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > My brand new Dimension 8300 [from the business division] has

> medium-heavy
> > > scratches on the left panel along the edge on the back.
> > >
> > > Like if someone place the system on its left side on a gravely

surface,
> > > lifted the front up 6 inches so that only the back left edge was

> touching,
> > > and dragged it forward maybe a foot or 2.
> > >
> > > Also, when I looked underneath to see why it was wobly, two of the

round
> > > little plastic feet were missing.
> > >
> > > 1. How can I tell if I was shipped a refurb by mistake (is that even
> > > likely?????) What do you think?
> > >
> > > 2. What is the best way to handle the situation: Call dell, email

dell,
> or
> > > try to "chat" with one online using that IM-esque interface they have?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Thomas
> > >

> > Call and exchange it. Period. There are only two "foot pads" on those
> > machines. I recall that topic coming up back in the Dimension 4400-4500
> > days, so that is normal.

> But there are two little round holes for missing feet---it was /meant/ to
> have them I think. As if they one day said: we're going to cut costs and
> produce only half as many feet as needed, so put them in the back.

Exactly. They apparently did that at some point with the Dim4300 (the first
Dimension to use the hinged case) early on. I've seen a rare few of those
with all 4 pads, but most of them with just the two. I've not seen any of
the newer models in that case with anything other than the two pads.

> > The scratches are unacceptable and suggest rough handling somewhere.

> Don't
> > guess what that might've been. Have them ship you a replacement tower
> > (only) and keep everything else if the external stuff is fine.

> {sigh}. Can I wait until the replacement one arrives before shipping this
> one out I wonder?

Yep. Ask them to place an Airborne call tag in with the replacement system
or mail the tag separately. That way, you open the new tower, verify it,
then place the old one back in the box, put on the Airborne tag, call
Airborne for pickup and you're done.

You're not asking too much here.

Keep us posted.

Stew

Rocket J. Squirrel

Every few years, the topic of feet comes up, and people argue about it like
it's the Constitution.

At any hardware store, you can find a wide selection of fashion forward feet
that will look just lovely on a new Dell computer. For pennies.

Rocky

"joe_tide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tom,
>
> I have two 8300's. Feet in the back - no feet in the front. Holes for

them,
> but they don't have them.
>
> If Stew says they don't come with them, you can take that to the bank.
>
> "Thomas G. Marshall"

<(E-Mail Removed). com>
> wrote in message news:ic0dc.1328$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bUVcc.8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Thomas G. Marshall"

> > <(E-Mail Removed). com>

> > medium-heavy

> surface,

> > touching,

> round

> dell,
> > or

have?

> > > Call and exchange it. Period. There are only two "foot pads" on those
> > > machines. I recall that topic coming up back in the Dimension

4400-4500
> > > days, so that is normal.

> > But there are two little round holes for missing feet---it was /meant/

> > have them I think. As if they one day said: we're going to cut costs

and
> > produce only half as many feet as needed, so put them in the back.
> >

> > > The scratches are unacceptable and suggest rough handling somewhere.

> > Don't
> > > guess what that might've been. Have them ship you a replacement tower
> > > (only) and keep everything else if the external stuff is fine.

> > {sigh}. Can I wait until the replacement one arrives before shipping

this
> > one out I wonder?
> >

> > > Call customer service, I'd think. You could try e-mail, but just be

> aware
> > > you have 30 days from your INVOICE date to return it.

> > Key point. Thanks!
> >
> > > Also, be sure that
> > > Dell picks up the shipping charge.
> > >
> > > Good luck.