New AB9 Quad GT bios when?

atodzia@cox.net

Does anyone know when there will be a new non-beta bios available for
the AB9 Quad GT? I gave up on the 2 betas that are circulating
because they broke the multiplier and downclocked my processor.

I am hoping for a bios that doesn't change the multiplier to 6X when
you try to overclock and that also fixes the USB external hard drive
issue when booting (this was fixed in the both betas).

Andy

Richard Hopkins

<atodziat> wrote in message...
> Does anyone know when there will be a new non-beta bios available
> for the AB9 Quad GT?

Real soon. They were apparently hoping to get it out the door before CeBit.
Looks now like it'll be up shortly afterwards.

> I gave up on the 2 betas that are circulating because they broke
> the multiplier and downclocked my processor.

Seems only a subset of people suffer this issue, and it tends to be on Vista
rather than XP. As such it seems unclear at the moment how much of this is a
BIOS problem and how much is an interaction of some sort with the power
management functionality built into the OS.

You may be able to fix it by altering your OS power options. Alternatively
you can use RightMark Clock Utility to override the BIOS and restore the
active CPU management features.

In addition, have you installed a recent Intel Chipset Driver update?

> I am hoping for a bios that doesn't change the multiplier to 6X
> when you try to overclock and that also fixes the USB external
> hard drive issue when booting (this was fixed in the both betas).

As you say the USB device boot issue is fixed as of 11 beta 2. I made my own
customised version of the beta 6 BIOS that has been tested by another Abit
forum member and found to fix the "stuck multiplier" issue.

I found the error in the beta BIOS fairly easy to trace so it is to be
expected that Abit themselves will have little trouble addressing it prior
to the full release of 11.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

John Lewis

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 03:54:12 -0000, "Richard Hopkins"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><atodziat> wrote in message...
>> Does anyone know when there will be a new non-beta bios available
>> for the AB9 Quad GT?

>Real soon. They were apparently hoping to get it out the door before CeBit.
>Looks now like it'll be up shortly afterwards.
>
>> I gave up on the 2 betas that are circulating because they broke
>> the multiplier and downclocked my processor.

>Seems only a subset of people suffer this issue, and it tends to be on Vista
>rather than XP. As such it seems unclear at the moment how much of this is a
>BIOS problem and how much is an interaction of some sort with the power
>management functionality built into the OS.
>
>You may be able to fix it by altering your OS power options. Alternatively
>you can use RightMark Clock Utility to override the BIOS and restore the
>active CPU management features.
>
>In addition, have you installed a recent Intel Chipset Driver update?
>
>> I am hoping for a bios that doesn't change the multiplier to 6X
>> when you try to overclock and that also fixes the USB external
>> hard drive issue when booting (this was fixed in the both betas).

>As you say the USB device boot issue is fixed as of 11 beta 2. I made my own
>customised version of the beta 6 BIOS that has been tested by another Abit
>forum member and found to fix the "stuck multiplier" issue.
>
>I found the error in the beta BIOS fairly easy to trace so it is to be
>expected that Abit themselves will have little trouble addressing it prior
>to the full release of 11.
>--

Richard,

Abit obviously needs your talents in their Design and QC departments.

John Lewis

atodzia@cox.net

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I gave up on the 2 betas that are circulating because they broke
>> the multiplier and downclocked my processor.

>Seems only a subset of people suffer this issue, and it tends to be on Vista
>rather than XP. As such it seems unclear at the moment how much of this is a
>BIOS problem and how much is an interaction of some sort with the power
>management functionality built into the OS.
>
>You may be able to fix it by altering your OS power options. Alternatively
>you can use RightMark Clock Utility to override the BIOS and restore the
>active CPU management features.

I am running Vista. I read about the RM Clock utility and installed it
but I couldn't change the multiplier. Maybe something else needed to
be changed using the program but not the multiplier field directly?

Have any idea what OS power options might need to be changed? In the
bios or in Windows?

I haven't installed an Intel chipset driver update. Should I? If so,
which one?

Thanks.

>In addition, have you installed a recent Intel Chipset Driver update?
>
>> I am hoping for a bios that doesn't change the multiplier to 6X
>> when you try to overclock and that also fixes the USB external
>> hard drive issue when booting (this was fixed in the both betas).

>As you say the USB device boot issue is fixed as of 11 beta 2. I made my own
>customised version of the beta 6 BIOS that has been tested by another Abit
>forum member and found to fix the "stuck multiplier" issue.
>
>I found the error in the beta BIOS fairly easy to trace so it is to be
>expected that Abit themselves will have little trouble addressing it prior
>to the full release of 11.

Richard Hopkins

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running Vista. I read about the RM Clock utility and installed it
> but I couldn't change the multiplier.

You don't directly change the multiplier, you force RMClock to take over
administration of the Power Management features so it can ramp the
multiplier up and down according to load.

> Maybe something else needed to be changed using the program but not
> the multiplier field directly?

Yeah. Load up RMClock and have a go with the following settings:

On the Advanced CPU Settings/Processor page, tick everything, including the
"Apply these settings at startup" option.

In the Profiles page, select Performance On Demand as the AC Power Profile.

Expand the Profiles tree, and click on Performance On Demand. Then tick the
"Use P-State Transitions" option, and tick all four of the multiplier
options underneath. Also tick the "Override Windows power scheme with the
settings above" box.

In the Management section, uncheck (or leave unchecked) the "OS load-based
mangement" and "Run HLT command when OS is idle", and check the "Run app
automatically when Windows Starts" option.

Apply all of these, restart your system and see what happens.

> Have any idea what OS power options might need to be changed?
> In the bios or in Windows?

Not in Windows no as I run XP, and Vista's power schemes are somewhat
different in nomenclature. If you configure RMClock as above it will take
over management of the CPU from the OS and give you much more control
anyway - hopefully to the extent of restoring the throttle activity.

> I haven't installed an Intel chipset driver update. Should I? If so,
> which one?

Hell yes. Do so, restart the PC and check its behaviour prior to trying
RMClock:
http://file.abit.com.tw/pub/download...f/v8111010.zip

--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

atodzia@cox.net

Thanks. I updated the Intel drivers but may sit tight until Abit
releases a new bios with the USB and multiplier issues both fixed,
since it may be soon.

I have a E6600 running at 3.0 Ghz and it is very stable with a CPU
temp. of 51C while running the prime 95 torture test. I haven't tried
to take it higher at this point, but I am happy with the current
performance.

It's annoying that Abit would release a bios that doesn't let you boot
up with any USB storage devices attached ( memory sticks and hard
drives ).