New battery or need to fix/reset the battery charge status?

Ant

Hi!

My client said his four years old MacBook Pro's old battery doesn't last
long these days -- about 20 minutes and then shuts off. No warnings or
anything. Even the status shows about 25% battery power left.

Does this old MBP need to get a new battery or need to reset/fix the
charge status? If it just needs a reset/fix, then what's the
best/correct way to do that? Also, Mac OS X 10.5.8 has all the updates.
If it needs a new battery, then what's the best place to get a new one
in Los Angeles/L.A. or Orange County/O.C. area? From a local Apple store?

Thank you in advance.
--
"... Our world is not an ant farm!" --Duncan MacLeod (Highlander Season
3 Finale Part II)

Ant

I forgot to mention that right before the last power loss, MBP's
wireless lost its password to the wireless router! That might be
related. I had to enter that in and then a few minutes later, MBP shut
off. Sheesh.

On 5/29/2012 10:13 PM PT, Ant typed:

--
"Ever watch ants just crawling around? They walk in that single straight
line, a long, a long, long mile of ants. Sometimes they will walk over

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Ant
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My client said his four years old MacBook Pro's old battery doesn't last
> long these days -- about 20 minutes and then shuts off. No warnings or
> anything. Even the status shows about 25% battery power left.
>
> Does this old MBP need to get a new battery or need to reset/fix the
> charge status? If it just needs a reset/fix, then what's the
> best/correct way to do that? Also, Mac OS X 10.5.8 has all the updates.
> If it needs a new battery, then what's the best place to get a new one
> in Los Angeles/L.A. or Orange County/O.C. area? From a local Apple store?

sudden shutdown means one or more of the internal battery cells has
failed, dropping the voltage of the entire battery pack below than what
can run the computer, therefore it shuts off.

replace the battery.

you *might* be able to do a full discharge/recharge to weasel a little
extra life out of it, but it's not going to be much better.

if you option-click the battery menu extra, it will display the
battery's condition and it will probably say service battery or
something to that effect.

as for replacements, there are third party batteries, but personally,
i'd get only apple label ones. shop around for the best deal.

you also might have success finding one on ebay that's in reasonable
condition if you don't want to pay full price for a battery for a 4
year old computer, however, you might also get stuck with another
failing one.

Ant

On 5/29/2012 10:50 PM PT, nospam typed:

> sudden shutdown means one or more of the internal battery cells has
> failed, dropping the voltage of the entire battery pack below than what
> can run the computer, therefore it shuts off.

Interesting!

> replace the battery.
>
> you *might* be able to do a full discharge/recharge to weasel a little
> extra life out of it, but it's not going to be much better.
>
> if you option-click the battery menu extra, it will display the
> battery's condition and it will probably say service battery or
> something to that effect.

We did not see anything odd/unusual. It said 84% (we were charging
earlier after the incident) after pulling the power AC to check,
different battery power options, and status options, but no "extra"
text. We did not see any "service battery" or anything like that.

> as for replacements, there are third party batteries, but personally,
> i'd get only apple label ones. shop around for the best deal.

So, would Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Costco, Apple stores, Radio
Shack, etc. carry these MBP batteries?

> you also might have success finding one on ebay that's in reasonable
> condition if you don't want to pay full price for a battery for a 4
> year old computer, however, you might also get stuck with another
> failing one.

How much does a new one usually cost?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > replace the battery.
> >
> > you *might* be able to do a full discharge/recharge to weasel a little
> > extra life out of it, but it's not going to be much better.
> >
> > if you option-click the battery menu extra, it will display the
> > battery's condition and it will probably say service battery or
> > something to that effect.

> We did not see anything odd/unusual. It said 84% (we were charging
> earlier after the incident) after pulling the power AC to check,
> different battery power options, and status options, but no "extra"
> text. We did not see any "service battery" or anything like that.

if you option-click it, there's an extra line about the battery
condition. mine says condition: normal. yours probably won't.

you can also run system profiler and see what it says in the power
section.

> > as for replacements, there are third party batteries, but personally,
> > i'd get only apple label ones. shop around for the best deal.

> So, would Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Costco, Apple stores, Radio
> Shack, etc. carry these MBP batteries?

apple stores obviously will, as will best buy. radio shack won't. i
have no idea about costco or fry's.

> > you also might have success finding one on ebay that's in reasonable
> > condition if you don't want to pay full price for a battery for a 4
> > year old computer, however, you might also get stuck with another
> > failing one.

> How much does a new one usually cost?

$129

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I forgot to mention that right before the last power loss, MBP's
> wireless lost its password to the wireless router! That might be
> related. I had to enter that in and then a few minutes later, MBP shut
> off. Sheesh.

Funny you should mention this! In the last couple of days, I have been
logging in and out quite a bit. But the mains AC is connected all the
time to my MB. My AirPort, the built-in wireless connection in the MB,
for the first time in two years did not know the password! It just
suddenly lost wireless connection and when I opened up the Airport
menu to right of screen, it showed no password and asked me for it!

I would have to fish it out keychain but it does not matter, I just
plugged in the ethernet cable. But very curious. The battery is
showing as 97% full and am not having any power problems. The MB still
works fine on battery. You are making me wonder if something about the
battery (it getting long in the tooth, 2.4 yrs), combined with some
sys thing is causing this?

--
dorayme

SRMoll

On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:37:47 AM UTC+1, nospam wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Ant
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > replace the battery.
> > >
> > > you *might* be able to do a full discharge/recharge to weasel a little
> > > extra life out of it, but it's not going to be much better.
> > >
> > > if you option-click the battery menu extra, it will display the
> > > battery's condition and it will probably say service battery or
> > > something to that effect.

> > We did not see anything odd/unusual. It said 84% (we were charging
> > earlier after the incident) after pulling the power AC to check,
> > different battery power options, and status options, but no "extra"
> > text. We did not see any "service battery" or anything like that.

> if you option-click it, there's an extra line about the battery
> condition. mine says condition: normal. yours probably won't.
>
> you can also run system profiler and see what it says in the power
> section.
>
> > > as for replacements, there are third party batteries, but personally,
> > > i'd get only apple label ones. shop around for the best deal.

> > So, would Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Costco, Apple stores, Radio
> > Shack, etc. carry these MBP batteries?

> apple stores obviously will, as will best buy. radio shack won't. i
> have no idea about costco or fry's.
>
> > > you also might have success finding one on ebay that's in reasonable
> > > condition if you don't want to pay full price for a battery for a 4
> > > year old computer, however, you might also get stuck with another
> > > failing one.

> > How much does a new one usually cost?

> $129

The battery on my aged 2009 MacBook Pro started doing that, it would die suddenly after 20 to 30 minutes.Eventually, literally overnight, the battery swelled up and was distorting the MacBook chassis. I was able to unclip thebattery and put it aside, but I guessing you don't have that option, and will need to ensure the old battery is out of the machine before it has a chace to do irreversible damage.

Ant

On 5/30/2012 12:16 AM PT, dorayme typed:

> Funny you should mention this! In the last couple of days, I have been
> logging in and out quite a bit. But the mains AC is connected all the
> time to my MB. My AirPort, the built-in wireless connection in the MB,
> for the first time in two years did not know the password! It just
> suddenly lost wireless connection and when I opened up the Airport
> menu to right of screen, it showed no password and asked me for it!
>
> I would have to fish it out keychain but it does not matter, I just
> plugged in the ethernet cable. But very curious. The battery is
> showing as 97% full and am not having any power problems. The MB still
> works fine on battery. You are making me wonder if something about the
> battery (it getting long in the tooth, 2.4 yrs), combined with some
> sys thing is causing this?

Weird. Yours lost/forgot with AC connected? My client's was on battery
when it happened. It only happened once so far!
--
"At high tide the fish eat ants; at low tide the ants eat fish." --Thai
Proverb

Ant

On 5/30/2012 2:43 AM PT, SRMoll typed:

>>> We did not see anything odd/unusual. It said 84% (we were charging
>>> earlier after the incident) after pulling the power AC to check,
>>> different battery power options, and status options, but no "extra"
>>> text. We did not see any "service battery" or anything like that.

>> if you option-click it, there's an extra line about the battery
>> condition. mine says condition: normal. yours probably won't.

Is that the one where it has options to pick best performance, normal,
best performance, custom, etc.? Then, they looked fine to me. No
odd/weird errors/texts.

>> you can also run system profiler and see what it says in the power
>> section.

Here is what it says when running on battery right after seeing 97% charge:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: Sony-ASMB012-38f9-d6e9
Manufacturer: Sony
Device name: ASMB012
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0110
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0303
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 1993
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 2092
Health Information:
Cycle count: 79
Condition: Check Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -1142
Voltage (mV): 11963

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 60
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 30
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 1
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: No
Charging: No

I see that "Check battery" text. I guess that means to change it?

>>> So, would Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Costco, Apple stores, Radio
>>> Shack, etc. carry these MBP batteries?

>> apple stores obviously will, as will best buy. radio shack won't. i
>> have no idea about costco or fry's.

OK. Do I have to find specific models or something for this old MBP from
2008?

>>> How much does a new one usually cost?

>> $129

> The battery on my aged 2009 MacBook Pro started doing that, it would die suddenly after 20 to 30 minutes.Eventually, literally overnight, the battery swelled up and was distorting the MacBook chassis. I was able to unclip the battery and put it aside, but I guessing you don't have that option, and will need to ensure the old battery is out of the machine before it has a chace to do irreversible damage.

Wow, expensive. Yikes for the physical damage!! I will tell my client to
remove it then! That's scary! I hope it is easy to remove it.

Good thing we made a big external USB HDD backup (Time Machine and
manually) over the long Memorial Day weekend.
--
"Ants can attack with a grain of rice." --a Malagasy Proverb
| |o o| |

Barry Margolin

In article <290520122337476948%(E-Mail Removed)>,
nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Ant
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > replace the battery.
> > >
> > > you *might* be able to do a full discharge/recharge to weasel a little
> > > extra life out of it, but it's not going to be much better.
> > >
> > > if you option-click the battery menu extra, it will display the
> > > battery's condition and it will probably say service battery or
> > > something to that effect.

> > We did not see anything odd/unusual. It said 84% (we were charging
> > earlier after the incident) after pulling the power AC to check,
> > different battery power options, and status options, but no "extra"
> > text. We did not see any "service battery" or anything like that.

> if you option-click it, there's an extra line about the battery
> condition. mine says condition: normal. yours probably won't.
>
> you can also run system profiler and see what it says in the power
> section.

And there's a third-party utility Battery Health Monitor that may
display some useful info.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA