"New" C2 Duo's?

Billy Bob

Guys

I asume the new (1300?FSB) chips aren't good for us OC'ers?

thx

bob

Phil Weldon

'Billy Bob' wrote:
| I asume the new (1300?FSB) chips aren't good for us OC'ers?
_____

Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on how high an FSB the motherboard can use
and, as always, the individual CPU chip. Motherboards based on the nVidia
680i have been shown to work well with an FSB of 1600 MHz. For a 2.66 GHz
Core 2 Duo 1333 MHz FSB CPU a 1600 MHz FSB would give a 3.2 GHz overclock.

As for me, I picked an 800 MHz FSB Core 2 Duo as a start in March, and would
consider upgrading to a 45 nm CPU but not to a 1333 MHz FSB 65 nm CPU.

Phil Weldon

"Billy Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
| Guys
|
| I asume the new (1300?FSB) chips aren't good for us OC'ers?
|

| thx
|
| bob

Phil

Phil Weldon wrote:
> 'Billy Bob' wrote:
> | I asume the new (1300?FSB) chips aren't good for us OC'ers?
> _____
>
> Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on how high an FSB the motherboard can
> use and, as always, the individual CPU chip. Motherboards based on
> the nVidia 680i have been shown to work well with an FSB of 1600 MHz.
> For a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo 1333 MHz FSB CPU a 1600 MHz FSB would give
> a 3.2 GHz overclock.

Sounds like NB cooling is going to become an issue for some. My MSI gets
unable-to-touch hot with my NB running at 315MHz. For the die-hards, it'll
give a small degree of better adjustability.

> As for me, I picked an 800 MHz FSB Core 2 Duo as a start in March,
> and would consider upgrading to a 45 nm CPU but not to a 1333 MHz FSB
> 65 nm CPU.

Good point. I may give it a go.
--
Phil

Phil Weldon

The nVidia 680i motherboard reference design has a moderately large (40 mm X
50 mm X 30 mm fin pack) heatsink and 50 mm 5000 rpm fan on the Nortbridge,
connected by a heatpipe to a heatsink on the Southbridge.

The ThermalTake i1 (~ $30 US) arrangement is a nice fit in that its airflow
does not interact with the airflow of the fin pack/fan on the nVidia 680i
reference design Northbridge heatsink/fan. The ThermalTake i1 airflow is
parallel to the surface of the
motherboard, directed from the internal connecter (front) side of the
motherboard toward the external connector (rear) side of the motherboard.
The Northbridge air flow is parallel to the motherboard directed from the
CPU end of the motherboard twoard the adapter slot end. The ThermalTake i1
fin pack is almost entirely further from the motherboard than the
Northbridge fin pack. I think this is probably the best possible
arrangement for air cooling when using a Core 2 CPU with a high speed FSB.

With my E4300 / EVGA 680i I've had no trouble using a 1333 MHz FSB
(multiplier X8) with the above air cooling arrangement. Had I the chance to
do it over, I might chose the ASUS 680i motherboard over the EVGA
motherboard but only because of the possibility that the ASUS
temperature/fan speed/voltage monitor program might give more results than
nVidia nTune and NVMonitor. (I originally passed over the ASUS because I
could not download the motherboard manual from the ASUS web site - but since
that time (March) I have been able to download that manual.)

Phil Weldon

"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46a3e141$0$32563$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Phil Weldon wrote:
| > 'Billy Bob' wrote:
| > | I asume the new (1300?FSB) chips aren't good for us OC'ers?
| > _____
| >
| > Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on how high an FSB the motherboard can
| > use and, as always, the individual CPU chip. Motherboards based on
| > the nVidia 680i have been shown to work well with an FSB of 1600 MHz.
| > For a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo 1333 MHz FSB CPU a 1600 MHz FSB would give
| > a 3.2 GHz overclock.
|
| Sounds like NB cooling is going to become an issue for some. My MSI gets
| unable-to-touch hot with my NB running at 315MHz. For the die-hards,
it'll
| give a small degree of better adjustability.
|
| > As for me, I picked an 800 MHz FSB Core 2 Duo as a start in March,
| > and would consider upgrading to a 45 nm CPU but not to a 1333 MHz FSB
| > 65 nm CPU.
|
| Good point. I may give it a go.
| --
| Phil

Phil

Phil Weldon wrote:
> The nVidia 680i motherboard reference design has a moderately large
> (40 mm X 50 mm X 30 mm fin pack) heatsink and 50 mm 5000 rpm fan on
> the Nortbridge, connected by a heatpipe to a heatsink on the
> Southbridge.
>
> The ThermalTake i1 (~ $30 US) arrangement is a nice fit in that its
> airflow does not interact with the airflow of the fin pack/fan on the
> nVidia 680i reference design Northbridge heatsink/fan. The
> ThermalTake i1 airflow is parallel to the surface of the
> motherboard, directed from the internal connecter (front) side of the
> motherboard toward the external connector (rear) side of the
> motherboard. The Northbridge air flow is parallel to the motherboard
> directed from the CPU end of the motherboard twoard the adapter slot
> end. The ThermalTake i1 fin pack is almost entirely further from the
> motherboard than the Northbridge fin pack. I think this is probably
> the best possible arrangement for air cooling when using a Core 2 CPU
> with a high speed FSB.
>
> With my E4300 / EVGA 680i I've had no trouble using a 1333 MHz FSB
> (multiplier X8) with the above air cooling arrangement. Had I the
> chance to do it over, I might chose the ASUS 680i motherboard over
> the EVGA motherboard but only because of the possibility that the ASUS
> temperature/fan speed/voltage monitor program might give more results
> than nVidia nTune and NVMonitor. (I originally passed over the ASUS
> because I could not download the motherboard manual from the ASUS web
> site - but since that time (March) I have been able to download that
> manual.)
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46a3e141$0$32563$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Phil Weldon wrote:
> | > _____
> | >
> | > Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on how high an FSB the motherboard
> | > can use and, as always, the individual CPU chip. Motherboards
> | > based on the nVidia 680i have been shown to work well with an FSB
> | > of 1600 MHz. For a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo 1333 MHz FSB CPU a 1600
> | > MHz FSB would give a 3.2 GHz overclock.
> |
> | Sounds like NB cooling is going to become an issue for some. My
> | MSI gets unable-to-touch hot with my NB running at 315MHz. For the
> | die-hards,
> it'll
> | give a small degree of better adjustability.
> |
> | > As for me, I picked an 800 MHz FSB Core 2 Duo as a start in March,
> | > and would consider upgrading to a 45 nm CPU but not to a 1333 MHz
> | > FSB 65 nm CPU.
> |
> | Good point. I may give it a go.
> | --
> | Phil

My MSI is a nVidia 650 mobo with a super-thin HS. I don't really know if my
NB cooling is a problem... yet. I may swap out my E4300 with a 6750 if it
turns out well.

--
Phil

Billy Bob

NB Cooling?

bob

"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46a3e141$0$32563$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Phil Weldon wrote:
>> 'Billy Bob' wrote:
>> | I asume the new (1300?FSB) chips aren't good for us OC'ers?
>> _____
>>
>> Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on how high an FSB the motherboard can
>> use and, as always, the individual CPU chip. Motherboards based on
>> the nVidia 680i have been shown to work well with an FSB of 1600 MHz.
>> For a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo 1333 MHz FSB CPU a 1600 MHz FSB would give
>> a 3.2 GHz overclock.

> Sounds like NB cooling is going to become an issue for some. My MSI gets
> unable-to-touch hot with my NB running at 315MHz. For the die-hards,
> it'll give a small degree of better adjustability.
>
>> As for me, I picked an 800 MHz FSB Core 2 Duo as a start in March,
>> and would consider upgrading to a 45 nm CPU but not to a 1333 MHz FSB
>> 65 nm CPU.

> Good point. I may give it a go.
> --
> Phil

Ed Medlin

"Billy Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> NB Cooling?
>

> bob

Northbridge chipset cooling. The 680i chipset is known for quite a bit
of heat at the northbridge.

Ed