New CD-RW combo drive for MSI-6561 (745 Ultra)

Herbert Boehl

I attempted to instal a combo drive on my machine and failed. My board is
an MSI-6561 (745 Ultra) and the BIOS failed to recognize my new drive (ASUS
CB-5216A; at NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16827135075).

Is there a combo drive or CD-RW/DVD and DVD burner that is known to work on
this board? I heard one time that Samsung drives with with almost any board
or company (within reason, of course).

I don't really want to upgrade my board as I have everything else running
fine, including a 40Gig ATA133 HDD, 256MB video card, USB, sound, everything
except the CD-RW/DVD ROM/DVD burner.

MY cpu is OC'd at 2.25GHz actual, 300MHz FSB, 542MB running W98se. I was
getting my system ready to run Vista when the time was right, selecting
Vista compliant components.

Any feedback will be welcome. Thanks!!

mikeyhsd

check Lite-On products, what I use on MSI 6701

(E-Mail Removed)

"Herbert Boehl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:2A_jh.13004$(E-Mail Removed) et...
I attempted to instal a combo drive on my machine and failed. My board is
an MSI-6561 (745 Ultra) and the BIOS failed to recognize my new drive (ASUS
CB-5216A; at NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16827135075).

Is there a combo drive or CD-RW/DVD and DVD burner that is known to work on
this board? I heard one time that Samsung drives with with almost any board
or company (within reason, of course).

I don't really want to upgrade my board as I have everything else running
fine, including a 40Gig ATA133 HDD, 256MB video card, USB, sound, everything
except the CD-RW/DVD ROM/DVD burner.

MY cpu is OC'd at 2.25GHz actual, 300MHz FSB, 542MB running W98se. I was
getting my system ready to run Vista when the time was right, selecting
Vista compliant components.

Any feedback will be welcome. Thanks!!

Herbert Boehl

My Asus drive is fully and flawlessly installed. Boy do I fell dumb and
grateful.

In proceeding to remove the drive that my BIOS "would not read", I noticed
that the IDE cable plug pulled out more easily on one end than the other:
it had not been plugged in correctly as one end went in with more force than
the other, and I had thought it was fully seated. Sheesh... plug it in and
it works flawlessly. Go figure. But I sure am glad I discovered my
mistake.

This is the most quite drive I have ever owned. So far, so good.

My v1.4 BIOS, dated 07/05/2002 reads it just fine. Everything is running
great. I'm now ready for Vista, tho I am now starting to hear bug reports
coming in. (Typo in original note... 512MB RAM, not 542MB.)

Thank you for your reply, mikeyhsd.