New Chaintech motherboard has problems

Zentraleinheit@copper.net

1: No USB devices will work.

2: My ATI All In Wonder 128 Pro AGP card is not listed nor available.

3: While my 3. 5 floppy drive is listed as available, I can’s access any
data from it.

4: My 5.25 floppy drive is not listed at all

5: I don’t get any sound from the built in audio,

6: The Red power LED and Green Hard Drive LED do not light under any
circumstances.

Also, as I power up I get the following post codes:

50 52 60 6F 75 7F 8B 96

And the message: “Floppy Drive Fail (40)

Has anyone any ideas?

Uncle jimmy

What exactly did you do? There is not enough info!

In another post you say you wanted to use an old drive so are you using an
old drive and trying to boot that without reinstalling xp ((which i assume
you are using you dont say and thats important)

If you ARE using xp then you need to do a repair install

If you need to know how to do this post back

If that doesnt work then a complete reinstall of xp is required and then you
will have to load your driver discs etc

For example.......is your usb`s USB2? If so then you need to load sp1 or 2
before they will work!

You also need to load a driver for your video card.

Give more detailed info and someone may help you or I will as far as I can!

"(E-Mail Removed)" <Zentraleinheit(REMOVE)@copper.net> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1: No USB devices will work.
>
> 2: My ATI All In Wonder 128 Pro AGP card is not listed nor available.
>
> 3: While my 3. 5 floppy drive is listed as available, I can's access any
> data from it.
>
> 4: My 5.25 floppy drive is not listed at all
>
> 5: I don't get any sound from the built in audio,
>
> 6: The Red power LED and Green Hard Drive LED do not light under any
> circumstances.
>
> Also, as I power up I get the following post codes:
>
> 50 52 60 6F 75 7F 8B 96
>
> And the message: "Floppy Drive Fail (40)
>
> Has anyone any ideas?

Zentraleinheit@copper.net

Excuse the lack of detail on my last post, but, after hours of trying to get
my chaintech motherboard running one tends to loose ones focus!

The problem is with a Chiantech S1689 939 socket MB using the Uli M1689
chipset. I am running the original Windows 98 OS, 512 of memory, and an AMD
Athlon64 3000+ CPU.

While I have many problems, I am only go to focus on the top three.

1: After checking "enable" in the BIOS for USB 1.1 (with keyboard and mouse)
and USB 2.0, I was able to finally get my mouse/graphic pad to work.
However, only using Windows' built in drivers. When I tried to load the
mouse/pad own drivers, I got the messages that there is no USB ports on the
computer. No other USB device that I tried will work either. In addition no
USB ports/hubs show up in System.

2: I cannot load the drivers for my ATI All-in-Wonder 128 video card. When I
try to use Windows' automatic system to find my video card, all it finds and
loads are the OS's own standard VGA drivers. Making the screen look like it
does when in safe mode. I have gone into the BIOS and "told" it use the AGP
port, but, I do not know whether it does or does not. For when I try to
manually load the drivers for this card I get the following message:

"The Display Driver is not Compatible with the Display Adapter(s) Installed
on Your System"

The video card in seated firmly in the AGP slot, and it did work in my last
system. So, why can't this MB/OS "see it?"

3: While the BIOS and Windows' see that I have a 3.5 floppy drive as A: I
cannot read/write to it. When I do, I get the message that the drive does
not exist. On the other hand, the BIOS/OS cannot see my 5.25 B: floppy
drive. It does not show up anywhere. In addition, as the computer boots up,
a message appears saying: "Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)."

Also, the following post codes appear as the computer boots up:

50 52 60 6F 75 7F 8B 96

I have contacted Chaintech USA and their answer was to reinstall Windows 98
since I hade an OS failure. However, I doubt that, and I would like a second
opnion before going to such a desperate step.

I hope that with this more detailed report that an answer can be found.

Thank you for any help

Zentraleinheit@copper.net

Another Chapter in the Saga of the S1689 Motherboard :-)

I did what Chainthech support said and reinstalled Windows 98.

IT WORKED (all most)!

I now have my ATI video card, USB, ports, and sound.

However, the problem with the Floppy disks remain.

> While the BIOS and Windows' see that I have a 3.5 floppy drive as A: I

cannot read/write to it. When I do, I get the message that the drive does
not exist. On the other hand, the BIOS/OS cannot see my 5.25 B: floppy
drive. It does not show up anywhere. In addition, as the computer boots up,
a message appears saying: "Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)."

>I can't figure out why, I think I installed the ribbon the right way (the

wire with the red coloring is pin one ain't it?). I tried both the
connections in the middle and at the end of the cable. Yet my 5.25 B: drive
is not notice at all, and while the 3.5 A: drive is "seen" by the bios and
Windows 98. I still can't read or write to it.

I'll try asking the same question from Chaintech, maybe between this group
and them an answer can be discovered.

Guy

I doubt this board even supports a 5-14" drive; did the FDD cable tha
came in the box have one header? I am surprised the pin-out is eve
compatible.

Assuming the board does support the 5-14" FDD, try going into BIOS an
activating it. There should be instructions in your manual.

I hope you can get it running

Have you re-installed your graphics tablet yet? I highly recommend
system restore point before doing so. I think you had an IR
conflict

Uncle jimmy

did you remember to reverse the floppy cable at the floppy end??

this usually causes error 40

"(E-Mail Removed)" <Zentraleinheit(REMOVE)@copper.net> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Another Chapter in the Saga of the S1689 Motherboard :-)
>
> I did what Chainthech support said and reinstalled Windows 98.
>
> IT WORKED (all most)!
>
> I now have my ATI video card, USB, ports, and sound.
>
> However, the problem with the Floppy disks remain.
>
>> While the BIOS and Windows' see that I have a 3.5 floppy drive as A: I

> cannot read/write to it. When I do, I get the message that the drive does
> not exist. On the other hand, the BIOS/OS cannot see my 5.25 B: floppy
> drive. It does not show up anywhere. In addition, as the computer boots
> up,
> a message appears saying: "Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)."
>
>>I can't figure out why, I think I installed the ribbon the right way (the

> wire with the red coloring is pin one ain't it?). I tried both the
> connections in the middle and at the end of the cable. Yet my 5.25 B:
> drive
> is not notice at all, and while the 3.5 A: drive is "seen" by the bios and
> Windows 98. I still can't read or write to it.
>
> I'll try asking the same question from Chaintech, maybe between this group
> and them an answer can be discovered.

Zentraleinheit@copper.net

>did you remember to reverse the floppy cable at the floppy end?

Yes, I tried that. and may other way of connecting (using the middle
connector - using the last connector-pluging in to the MB/Drive with the red
stripe at the 1st pin-the red stripe in the last pin- etc).

And except for the green power light going off instead of staying on,the
same keeps on happening.

The A: drive is seeen by the BIOS and in Windows 98, but, when I try to
acess it I get after a minute or so of the computer being frozen a pop-up
saying that the drive is unaccessable. Or it will make noise if the the
cable is in the other way, but, will still be unaccessable to the computer.
Yet still be seen by it!

Plus, on boot up I still get the Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40). Even with the B:
drive cable (which only plugs in one way) installed or not installed.

P.S. Putting the floppy disk connector at the bottom of the MB is a bad
design mistake!

Zentraleinheit@copper.net

>>did you remember to reverse the floppy cable at the floppy end?

OOPS - I been a bad boy!

I thought I did, but, I read the manual wrong and thought the pin one was on
the right side of the MB connector. - Its on the LEFT!

Once I got the pins right my A: dirve workes.

But, as for the B: drive?

Because Chaintech unwisely put the floppy disk (among others) connection at
the bottom of the MB my cable is not long enought to reach my second floppy
drive.

I must either find a longer cable, or when I get a new case, find one in
which the distance between the MB and drives are shorter.

Sorry for the mix-up, but, ones mind go dim as it get colder :-)))))))))

Ginchy

I may have a floppy cable for you ...I am Unkle Jimmy BTW.............

Measure the size you need and I will go through them I have quite a few

Are you still left with any problems or is that you all sorted now?

"(E-Mail Removed)" <Zentraleinheit(REMOVE)@copper.net> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>did you remember to reverse the floppy cable at the floppy end?

> OOPS - I been a bad boy!
>
> I thought I did, but, I read the manual wrong and thought the pin one was
> on
> the right side of the MB connector. - Its on the LEFT!
>
> Once I got the pins right my A: dirve workes.
>
> But, as for the B: drive?
>
> Because Chaintech unwisely put the floppy disk (among others) connection
> at
> the bottom of the MB my cable is not long enought to reach my second
> floppy
> drive.
>
> I must either find a longer cable, or when I get a new case, find one in
> which the distance between the MB and drives are shorter.
>
> Sorry for the mix-up, but, ones mind go dim as it get colder :-)))))))))

Zentraleinheit

>Measure the size you need and I will go through them I have quite a few

For both a 3.5 and a 5.25 drive?

>Are you still left with any problems or is that you all sorted now

Are you Kidding?

I still have my first and major problem!

I can't video capture with my All-in-Wonder 128 pro video card. Yet I have
no graphic trouble otherwise.

Every time I try - Or when I first use DixDiag after uploading DirectX9c- I
get the following error message.

A Fatal Exception 0E has occured at 0028:00000009, The current application
will be terminated.

I don't know if it is the application (it wored before I upgraded) or that
somthiong to do with this motherboard prevents video caputure with ATI
applications.

Any help would be nice - I getting sick of waiting for the computer to
reboot after trying a fix- and nothing happens!