New CPU installed! error

Dion Macale

Gday all,

this error appears when i try to boot up windows XP home, SP2

"New CPU installed! Please enter setup
to configure your system."

"Press F1 to enter setup"

"Press F2 to load default values and continue"

the mobo is an Asus P4P800SE, and the cpu is a s478 2.4ghz northwood.

it only happens with this particular CPU.

i have all the correct jumper settings and the CMOS battery is fine.
any help would be appreciated

Thanks
DioMac

Custom Computers

Did you press F-1 to enter setup and make sure your CPU Operating
Frequency is set correctly?

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, "Dion
Macale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gday all,
>
> this error appears when i try to boot up windows XP home, SP2
>
> "New CPU installed! Please enter setup
> to configure your system."
>
> "Press F1 to enter setup"
>
> "Press F2 to load default values and continue"
>
> the mobo is an Asus P4P800SE, and the cpu is a s478 2.4ghz northwood.
>
> it only happens with this particular CPU.
>
> i have all the correct jumper settings and the CMOS battery is fine.
> any help would be appreciated
>
> Thanks
> DioMac

I have heard of this happening before, but usually it happens with
some obscure model of high end processor. I also haven't seen a
post back from anyone, claiming that they fixed it. I can give you
a little background info, which may suggest some things to try,
but don't hold your breath in terms of a cure.

There are several "processor recognition" issues that the
BIOS wants to solve. The first one is the obvious one - identify
the processor type, so that hardware settings in the processor
and/or chipset can be applied, such that the processor will operate
properly. Perhaps that might include enabling the L1 and L2
cache, setting necessary frequencies (if the BSEL pins didn't do
their thing properly) and so on.

A second flavor of "processor recognition", is the loading of
microcode patches. A microcode patch is a series of corrections
to the operation of the processor, which is loaded into some
RAM on the processor. If the processor likes the patch (patch
has a good checksum and appears to be for that model of processor),
it will accept an attempt to load a microcode. If no microcode
patch works, you may see a warning on the screen, but I don't
think there are any other consequences (except for the obvious
one, of the processor not computing correctly). An OS like
WinXP also has a microcode loader, and it is possible for the
OS to load a later microcode patch, if one is stored in the OS.

The third issue, is a bookkeeping type issue. There are areas of
the flash, called DMI/ESCD, that the BIOS writes the current
hardware details. A tool like Asus Probe or perhaps some earlier
utility, would have a "DMI Explorer" tab, that can read the
contents of what is stored in DMI/ESCD. I suspect the code that
handles DMI/ESCD is responsible for what you are seeing.

The way the processor might work, is when the BIOS starts to
run, it looks to the DMI/ESCD. Say that the word "Celeron" is
written in DMI/ESCD, and the BIOS finds "Pentium 4" in the
motherboard socket. The BIOS will rewrite the DMI/ESCD area
of the BIOS flash chip, with the new information, so that the
next time the computer starts, the word "Pentium 4" is recorded
in that bookkeeping area.

Now, say the DMI/ESCD code recognizes that the old info is
not equal to the new info, and yet the update of DMI/ESCD
fails. Maybe it fails because the code cannot properly handle
the information it is getting from the processor. Perhaps the
attempt to flash the DMI/ESCD segment is failing altogether.

So that suggests, the flashing the BIOS will attempt to overwrite
the DMI/ESCD. Perhaps flashing the BIOS will be enough to
get the BIOS to compute the DMI/ESCD properly. I cannot see
a Northwood failing to be recognized, either from a config or
a microcode point of view. I suppose you could use BIOS tools
to extract the microcode and examine what patches are loaded,
but I wouldn't really expect to see support for a 2.4GHz
Northwood to be missing.

I don't think clearing the CMOS will help here, as I cannot
imagine there being enough room in the CMOS to hold anything
that would screw up the process. But if you run out of things
to try, I suppose it might be worth a shot. (Unplug the
computer before following the procedure in the manual, so
that +5VSB cannot damage anything. Some motherboard designs
are not "+5VSB safe", and always unplugging removes the
uncertainty about the potential for damage.)

If you do find a solution, please post back what you find.

HTH,
Paul

Dion Macale

Hi,

i just flashed the bios up to version 1006, as i did not want to
install a more recent beta version, however the problem persists.

i am not really sure where to go from here

sdlomi2

"Dion Macale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> i just flashed the bios up to version 1006, as i did not want to
> install a more recent beta version, however the problem persists.
>
> i am not really sure where to go from here

Have you "pressed F2 to continue" to see if it will then boot? If so,
it will be running at minimal output due to its automatically setting
parameters to minimal output in cmos in order to 'ensure' a boot; but it
would at least allow you to enter cmos and attempt tweaking from that point.
HTH & good luck, s

Macale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i just flashed the bios up to version 1006, as i did not want to
> install a more recent beta version, however the problem persists.
>
> i am not really sure where to go from here

OK, try the following tests.

1) Get a copy of Asus Probe. Go to support.asus.com.tw, select
Download, type "tools" into the upper left search box. The
returned list of tools should include Asus Probe version 22308,
suitable for Win2k/WinXP. Install Asus Probe. You should not
have to restart.

There should be an Information tab, and a DMI Explorer option.
DMI Explorer dumps the text strings stored in the DMI/ESCD.
Click the processor item on the left hand column.
For my 2.8GHz/FSB800/512KB Northwood, it tells me the
family is 0F29 and there is an extended BFEBFBFF value as
well (and I don't know right off hand what that value means).
In any case, what we are checking here, is what the BIOS has
managed to record and write to the DMI. The value itself
doesn't have any value, except when we compare the output to
the other utilities.

There is a picture of Asus Probe here, except the processor
item hasn't been highlighted here yet. This is what you
see when first entering the DMI Explorer tab.

http://www.benchmark.co.yu/tests/mai...ubx/probe5.jpg

2) Install the Intel Processor Identification tool.

This tools is pretty anemic, but has one piece of information
of interest.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...=1881&lang=eng

Once pidenu06.msi is installed, the tool should confirm one
of the values above. The 0F29 family string should be
verifiable. The other tidbit of value with this tool,
is the "revision". The "revision" in this case, is actually
the revision of the microcode loaded into the processor.
The microcode is the greater of the revisions found in the
BIOS or as delivered by the Windows microcode loader, depending
on the version of OS. In this case, a value of 0 for the
revision is bad, and means neither the BIOS nor the OS
loaded microcode.

3) The third tool is CPUZ (www.cpuid.com). There is a text
dump option, which records all sorts of hardware info.
CPUZ will have the 0F29 value as well. (Unfortunately,
I don't see the "revision" recorded, so you'll have to
get that from step 2 above.) You will also find a line
with the string "Function 1" in the text dump and the right-most
column will have the magic BFEBFBFF string I found in the
DMI Explorer in step one. Again, the DMI contents for that
eight character hex number, should match the CPUZ value
currently being read out.

If the tools don't have matching info, it means DMI/ESCD is
not getting updated. If the "revision" in step 2 is 0, then
further work will be needed on your BIOS version. (There are
BIOS toola for extracting the microcode file, and with some
luck, reading the revision of the microcode being used.)

Since CPUZ is most detailed, you could post the contents from
the text dump tool, removing whatever parts of it that seem
pointless (like your disks or I/O ports etc).

I know this is a lot of work, but that is "science" for you :-)

HTH,
Paul

d2431

Paul

Thank you very much for your information. I had exact the same erro
message and it stays even after I updated the bios to the latest.
have a Compaq D510 Ultra Slim p4-1.6. I did step 2 of your proposa
and found the version is 0. Can you please help me with th
following question

1) what can I do to load the microcode into the bios and change th
version

2) I have another same cpu installed on another desktop, its versio
is 4. Can I just swap them and will it work

Your help is greatly appreciated. Regards, Davi

d2431

Paul

Thank you very much for your information. I had exact the same erro
message and it stays even after I updated the bios to the latest.
have a Compaq D510 Ultra Slim p4-1.6. I did step 2 of your proposa
and found the version is 0. Can you please help me with th
following question

1) what can I do to load the microcode into the bios and change th
version

2) I have another same cpu installed on another desktop, its versio
is 4. Can I just swap them and will it work

Your help is greatly appreciated. Regards, Davi

Paul

In article <fUnPf.10758$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)lid
(d2431) wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Thank you very much for your information. *I had exact the same error
> message and it stays even after I updated the bios to the latest. *I
> have a Compaq D510 Ultra Slim p4-1.6. *I did step 2 of your proposal
> and found the version is 0. *Can you please help me with the
> following questions
>
> 1) what can I do to load the microcode into the bios and change the
> version?
>
> 2) *I have another same cpu installed on another desktop, its version
> is 4. *Can I just swap them and will it work?
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated. *Regards, *David

The microcode version is a reflection of the BIOS of the motherboard.
The motherboard that returns "4" has a better BIOS than the
Compaq that returns "0".

If the BIOS was made by Award, you could try CTMC to fix it.
Or, you could contact HP/Compaq tech support, and ask them
if there is a BIOS upgrade to handle whatever processor you
have plugged into the Compaq.

I don't know how to take one of these apart, so I cannot
even look at it, to determine what kind of BIOS it is.
Sorry.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...reg_R1002_USEN

The release notes for the D510, say that the 1.08 BIOS
updated the microcode support. The 1.09 is a later
release:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...sion/6254.html

"Updates microcode patch for Intel Pentium 4 C1 processors."

To know whether that flash ROM upgrade (1.08 or 1.09) would help,
you need to know which of these processors you have plugged into
the Compaq motherboard:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scr...+on+selections

There is always a danger, that flashing the BIOS can result in
a non-working motherboard. Badflash.com can send you a new ROM
for $25 or so if that happens.

Paul

d2431

Thank you, Paul

Do you think BOTH PCs will work (no error message) by swapping the cp
from different pcs? The motherboard is made by Compaq and I do no
know how to find the model? The bios is already updated to v.109
686o1 rom) and still gives the error message. Can you help me to ge
rid of this? Any info very much appreciated