New Dell Inspiron Laptop

oh well

I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit, new
to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?

I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table and
the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged into
USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.

thx

Tom

Ben Myers

On May 10, 4:48*pm, "oh well" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. *I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit,new
> to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. *I was never enthusiastic about
> computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
> disc. *What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
> install my own Win7 or even XP. *Can I do this, how?
>
> I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table and
> the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged into
> USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
>
> thx
>
> Tom

It is probably way more straightforward and far less time-consuming to
download the free Revo Uninstaller and remove the programs you do not
want or need. Revo does a more thorough job of uninstalling than the
Windows uninstaller, but it has occasional quirks where you really do
not want to let it delete everything it wants to.

If Revo is too daunting, remove what you do not want using the usual
Windows uninstaller.

After uninstalling all the junk, e.g. 30-day trial of McAfee or Norton
Anti-Virus, run CCleaner to clean up the Windows registry and other
leftover junk files.

Dell should have provided you with the capability to create restore
media for 64-bit Windows 7, but that may well reinstall all the junk.
The only way to avoid the junkware is to install Windows 7 from a DVD
that matches the product key on the bottom of your Dell. Or you could
go out and buy another version of Windows, but be careful here.

64-bit Windows 7 supports more than 3GB of memory, the practical limit
of the 32-bit version of any operating system. If you choose to go
back to XP, you need to make sure that there are XP drivers for all
the hardware in your laptop. Frankly, I would stick with Windows 7.
All the reports from my clients with Win 7 are pretty positive,
compared to Vista, where everyone is still wretching and vomiting from
over-exposure to a badly flawed OS, me included... Ben Myers

RnR

On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:48:10 -0500, "oh well" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit, new
>to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
>computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
>disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
>install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
>
>I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table and
>the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged into
>USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
>
>thx
>
>Tom

What is Windows 7 Supreme? I mean where does it rank among other
editions. I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find it
on the MS site so far. Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
perhaps???

Daddy

RnR wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:48:10 -0500, "oh well" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit, new
>> to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
>> computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
>> disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
>> install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
>>
>> I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table and
>> the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged into
>> USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
>>
>> thx
>>
>> Tom
>>

> What is Windows 7 Supreme? I mean where does it rank among other
> editions. I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find it
> on the MS site so far. Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
> perhaps???

Instead of "Start", the button says "Stop - in the name of love."

Daddy

RnR

On Wed, 11 May 2011 10:23:22 -0400, Daddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>RnR wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:48:10 -0500, "oh well" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit, new
>>> to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
>>> computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
>>> disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
>>> install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
>>>
>>> I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table and
>>> the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged into
>>> USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
>>>
>>> thx
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

>> What is Windows 7 Supreme? I mean where does it rank among other
>> editions. I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find it
>> on the MS site so far. Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
>> perhaps???

>Instead of "Start", the button says "Stop - in the name of love."
>
>Daddy

Daddy, you made me laugh.... good one !!!! (and thank you)

oh well

"RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:48:10 -0500, "oh well" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit,
>>new
>>to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
>>computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
>>disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
>>install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
>>
>>I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table
>>and
>>the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged
>>into
>>USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
>>
>>thx
>>
>>Tom
>>

> What is Windows 7 Supreme? I mean where does it rank among other
> editions. I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find it
> on the MS site so far. Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
> perhaps???

OK, so it's premium, my bad, but I betcha knew what I was talking about,
huh.

Tom

Timothy Daniels

"oh well" wrote:

>> What is Windows 7 Supreme? I mean where does it rank among
>> other editions. I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find
>> it on the MS site so far. Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
>> perhaps???

> OK, so it's premium, my bad, but I betcha knew what I was talking
> about, huh.
>
> Tom

The Supremes was a female singing group. Premium is a grade of
gasoline. So what are you guys talking about? :-|

*TimDaniels*

RnR

On Wed, 11 May 2011 12:42:02 -0500, "oh well" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:48:10 -0500, "oh well" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit,
>>>new
>>>to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
>>>computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
>>>disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
>>>install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
>>>
>>>I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table
>>>and
>>>the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged
>>>into
>>>USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
>>>
>>>thx
>>>
>>>Tom
>>>

>> What is Windows 7 Supreme? I mean where does it rank among other
>> editions. I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find it
>> on the MS site so far. Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
>> perhaps???

>OK, so it's premium, my bad, but I betcha knew what I was talking about,
>huh.
>
>Tom

Actually I was really thinking this was a Dell branded Windows OS.
Thanks for the correction as I thought this tidbit slipped by my
reading.

oh well

"oh well" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4dc9a48b$0$26686$(E-Mail Removed) ng.com...
>I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit, new
>to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
>computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
>disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
>install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
>
> I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table
> and the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse
> plugged into USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
>
> thx
>
> Tom

ok, thanks anyway y'all.

Tom

Bob Villa

On May 11, 3:53*pm, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2011 12:42:02 -0500, "oh well" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

> >> What is Windows 7 Supreme? * I mean where does it rank among other
> >> editions. *I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find it
> >> on the MS site so far. * Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
> >> perhaps???

> >OK, so it's premium, my bad, but I betcha knew what I was talking about,
> >huh.

> >Tom

> Actually I was really thinking this was a Dell branded Windows OS.
> Thanks for the correction as I thought this tidbit slipped by my
> reading.

RnR, you're so naive...that's what I like about you.