New to Intel processors

Carl

Hello all, I have just ordered up an Intel E2140, to put into a Lan Party
ICFX3200-T2R/G, I would apprecciate some tips on overclocking it for a
novice. I have read that this processor will go to 3Ghz on air alone, could
anyone offer opinions? Also, this is a long shot, but here goes anyway, has
anyone got a BFG PhysX card? If you have, have you added a third party
cooler to it to replace the quiet, but ineffective standard one?

Phil Weldon

| Hello all, I have just ordered up an Intel E2140, to put into a Lan Party
| ICFX3200-T2R/G, I would apprecciate some tips on overclocking it for a
| novice. I have read that this processor will go to 3Ghz on air alone,
could
| anyone offer opinions? Also, this is a long shot, but here goes anyway,
has
| anyone got a BFG PhysX card? If you have, have you added a third party
| cooler to it to replace the quiet, but ineffective standard one?
_____

An Intel E2140 is likely not as good a choice as an E4300 at $30 US more
unless you are on a VERY tight budget (and your inquiry about a PhysX card
tends to say otherwise.) The higher CPU multiplier and higher CPU stock
speed make it a better overclock candidate (and twice the L2 cache make it a
better performer at equal CPU speeds. Yes, we have all heard about
air-alone super overclocks, but the judging from the posts here, these
claims are at best elusive, at worse imaginative. One thing to keep in mind
that Core 2 Duo (and, I would expect, Core Duo) CPUs don't have the same
default voltage even within a specific model; that voltage is set at the
factory after testing. So you might get a CPU with a higher than expected
core voltage and that will likely produce more heat. For example, my E4300
has a factory default voltage of 1.325 volts; on the other hand it
overclocks quite nicely at 2.7 GHz with a 1200 MHz FSB and a core voltage of
1.2500 volts. I use the stock Intel boxed, retail heatsink, high speed
DDR2-1066 memory set a a 1200 MHz bus (2:1 Memory Clock to CPU Clock ratio)
and an overclocked 8800 GTX 320 MByte (640 MHz / 975 MHz) in an EVGA 680i
motherboard. The 3DMark06 score is 9674 3DMarks.

All the overclocking parameters are stock except
FSB is 1200 MHz rather than 800 MHz
Memory BUS is 1200 MHz rather than 1066 MHz
CPU voltage is 1.2500 volts rather than 1.3250 volts
Memory voltage is 2.30 volts (which is stock for the Patriot DDR2 1066
memory)
Memory timings are relaxed to 5-5-5-9

It is possible to overclock the CPU to 3.15 GHz, but the system is then not
very stable.

You can find quite a bit of information for overclocking Core 2 Duo CPUs in
posts over the last three months in this newsgroup. I would just emphasize
that you try for the lowest possible core voltage that will give a stable
overclock, and that Orthos with the 'small FFTs' option used to test the CPU
for stability - some old favorite CPU stablitiy tests do not properly load
both CPUs.

Phil Weldon

"Carl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hello all, I have just ordered up an Intel E2140, to put into a Lan Party
| ICFX3200-T2R/G, I would apprecciate some tips on overclocking it for a
| novice. I have read that this processor will go to 3Ghz on air alone,
could
| anyone offer opinions? Also, this is a long shot, but here goes anyway,
has
| anyone got a BFG PhysX card? If you have, have you added a third party
| cooler to it to replace the quiet, but ineffective standard one?

Carl

Thanks, Phil.

I only got the E2140 to do me until the 45nm Penryn chips are available here
in the UK. I have a box full of new kit that I am busting to get installed,
finally cracked today and ordered up the E2140, I will have fun mucking
about with it until I get a quad core CPU. I would have waited, only I have
sold all my current PC innards and will be building them into another PC in
a few days time. I don't see the point of buying a really good Core 2 CPU
now, when I intend to get another in about 8 weeks time!

Phil Weldon

'Carl' wrote:
| I only got the E2140 to do me until the 45nm Penryn chips are available
here
| in the UK. I have a box full of new kit that I am busting to get
installed,
| finally cracked today and ordered up the E2140, I will have fun mucking
| about with it until I get a quad core CPU. I would have waited, only I
have
| sold all my current PC innards and will be building them into another PC
in
| a few days time. I don't see the point of buying a really good Core 2 CPU
| now, when I intend to get another in about 8 weeks time!
_____

I 'heard' there would be an Intel CPU price drop July 22, for whatever
that's worth B^) I think it likely that the price drops would be at the
upper end to continue pressure on AMD, with the lower end remaining pretty
much the same.

Your reasoning is similar to mine when I selected the E4300 three months
ago; something to run with my 680i / 8800 system until the Penryn (too bad
the code name isn't Pendragon, but Intel is enumerating rivers of
Northwestern North America. )

Phil Weldon

"Carl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Thanks, Phil.
|
| I only got the E2140 to do me until the 45nm Penryn chips are available
here
| in the UK. I have a box full of new kit that I am busting to get
installed,
| finally cracked today and ordered up the E2140, I will have fun mucking
| about with it until I get a quad core CPU. I would have waited, only I
have
| sold all my current PC innards and will be building them into another PC
in
| a few days time. I don't see the point of buying a really good Core 2 CPU
| now, when I intend to get another in about 8 weeks time!

Lin Chung

Phil Weldon wrote:
> Carl wrote:
> > I only got the E2140 to do me until the 45nm Penryn chips are
> > available here in the UK....

> ..Your reasoning is similar to mine when I selected the E4300 three
> months ago; something to run with my 680i / 8800 system until the
> Penryn...

Same here. But...."No Desktop Penryn 45 nm this year"
http://tinyurl.com/36oz43

--
Lin Chung.
[Paste ntlworld over the Water Margin to send a private e-mail.]

Phil Weldon

'Lin Chung' wrote:
| Same here. But...."No Desktop Penryn 45 nm this year"
| http://tinyurl.com/36oz43
_____

I hold out a hope for the dual core Penryn this year B^)

Phil Weldon

"Lin Chung" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eAxki.20894$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Phil Weldon wrote:
| > Carl wrote:
| > > I only got the E2140 to do me until the 45nm Penryn chips are
| > > available here in the UK....
| > ..Your reasoning is similar to mine when I selected the E4300 three
| > months ago; something to run with my 680i / 8800 system until the
| > Penryn...
|

| Same here. But...."No Desktop Penryn 45 nm this year"
| http://tinyurl.com/36oz43
|
| --
| Lin Chung.
| [Paste ntlworld over the Water Margin to send a private e-mail.]

Carl

ta for the link. fingers crossed for yorkfield then. Or something that will
run Crysis easily!