Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

New K8WE Thunder (S2895) BIOS 105 Available

 
 
Jim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2007, 05:30 AM
I was cruising the new Tyan site tonight, and I noticed a new 105 BIOS
for the K8WE Thunder (S2895) motherboard. It installed like a charm.
I don't know whether everybody already knew about it.

Enjoy! :-)

Jim

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2007, 10:22 PM
In his posting of Sat, 12 May 2007, Jim writes
>I was cruising the new Tyan site tonight, and I noticed a new 105 BIOS
>for the K8WE Thunder (S2895) motherboard. It installed like a charm.
>I don't know whether everybody already knew about it.
>
>Enjoy! :-)
>
>Jim
>


Jim, thanks for that but what are the advantages of installing these new
BIOS please. I purchased one of these boards 18 months ago.

Thanks
--
Richard



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bob Gleitsmann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-14-2007, 02:00 AM
Richard wrote:
> In his posting of Sat, 12 May 2007, Jim writes
>> I was cruising the new Tyan site tonight, and I noticed a new 105 BIOS
>> for the K8WE Thunder (S2895) motherboard. It installed like a charm.
>> I don't know whether everybody already knew about it.
>>
>> Enjoy! :-)
>>
>> Jim
>>

>
> Jim, thanks for that but what are the advantages of installing these new
> BIOS please. I purchased one of these boards 18 months ago.
>
> Thanks

After trying it out I found the following problems:
1. PCI-X slots don't work. Only the PCI and PCI Express were operational.
2. SCSI doesn't work
3. No boot option for net
4. Max speed on SATA was 1.5 Gb/s instead of 3.0 (Did I measure this
with a bit speedometer? No, I looked at the messages that Linux emits
while it's booting.)
After going back to 1.0.4, these problems went away. BTW, I am running
Linux 2.6.22.9 at the moment (Fedora Core 6) and updated numerous times
while 1.0.5 firmware was installed. All were the same. I don't know how
it works with Win, don't have it installed on this machine.
This makes me wonder about Tyan's QA.
Oh, I didn't lose any functionality going back to 1.0.4. So if you want
to cripple your computer, go ahead and install 1.0.5. Of course, your
results may be totally different. I can say that I tried it and it
didn't like it.

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-14-2007, 04:08 PM
On Oct 13, 9:00 pm, Bob Gleitsmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> After trying it out I found the following problems:
> 1. PCI-X slots don't work. Only the PCI and PCI Express were operational.


Bob,

I'm *sorry* about your problems, but I did not have them. I am using
*both* the PCI-X and PCI-E slots, and both continued to work.

> 2. SCSI doesn't work


I am also using the onboard SCSI, and it has continued to work.
However, I am *not* using the driver from Tyan; I am using a driver
from LSI Logic. I took a chance, and it worked. I have a SCSI tape
drive.

> 3. No boot option for net


I have *not* checked this.

> 4. Max speed on SATA was 1.5 Gb/s instead of 3.0 (Did I measure this
> with a bit speedometer? No, I looked at the messages that Linux emits
> while it's booting.)


I am using a 3ware/AMCC SATA-3 controller (9550 SX), so I am not
running this off the motherboard.

> After going back to 1.0.4, these problems went away. BTW, I am running
> Linux 2.6.22.9 at the moment (Fedora Core 6) and updated numerous times
> while 1.0.5 firmware was installed. All were the same. I don't know how
> it works with Win, don't have it installed on this machine.
> This makes me wonder about Tyan's QA.
> Oh, I didn't lose any functionality going back to 1.0.4. So if you want
> to cripple your computer, go ahead and install 1.0.5. Of course, your
> results may be totally different. I can say that I tried it and it
> didn't like it.


Sorry I recommended the new BIOS. Obviously it is *not* for
*everybody!*

Jim

 
Reply With Quote
 
midol
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2007, 06:53 PM
On Oct 14, 9:08 am, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 13, 9:00 pm, Bob Gleitsmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > After trying it out I found the following problems:
> > 1. PCI-X slots don't work. Only the PCI and PCI Express were operational.

>
> Bob,
>
> I'm *sorry* about your problems, but I did not have them. I am using
> *both* the PCI-X and PCI-E slots, and both continued to work.
>
> > 2. SCSI doesn't work

>
> I am also using the onboard SCSI, and it has continued to work.
> However, I am *not* using the driver from Tyan; I am using a driver
> from LSI Logic. I took a chance, and it worked. I have a SCSI tape
> drive.
>
> > 3. No boot option for net

>
> I have *not* checked this.
>
> > 4. Max speed on SATA was 1.5 Gb/s instead of 3.0 (Did I measure this
> > with a bit speedometer? No, I looked at the messages that Linux emits
> > while it's booting.)

>
> I am using a 3ware/AMCC SATA-3 controller (9550 SX), so I am not
> running this off the motherboard.
>
> > After going back to 1.0.4, these problems went away. BTW, I am running
> > Linux 2.6.22.9 at the moment (Fedora Core 6) and updated numerous times
> > while 1.0.5 firmware was installed. All were the same. I don't know how
> > it works with Win, don't have it installed on this machine.
> > This makes me wonder about Tyan's QA.
> > Oh, I didn't lose any functionality going back to 1.0.4. So if you want
> > to cripple your computer, go ahead and install 1.0.5. Of course, your
> > results may be totally different. I can say that I tried it and it
> > didn't like it.

>
> Sorry I recommended the new BIOS. Obviously it is *not* for
> *everybody!*
>
> Jim


I wonder about the half speed SATA drive. I bought a seagate 320 sata
and found it was shipped from the factory with a jumper limiting it to
half speed. Removed the jumper, full speed operation, and quite
reliable. It looks like that's what we have here.

Dave



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2007, 02:34 PM

> I wonder about the half speed SATA drive. I bought a seagate 320 sata
> and found it was shipped from the factory with a jumper limiting it to
> half speed. Removed the jumper, full speed operation, and quite
> reliable. It looks like that's what we have here.


Midol,

I telephoned Seagate earlier about the settings of their SATA drives.
(I am running two of them in RAID 0 in a different machine.) They
said that they jumpered--at that time--*all* of their drives as SATA 1
because *most* people did *not* have SATA-2 controllers. Hitachi, on
the other hand, has no jumpers on their drives, and they will work
full-speed at either SATA 1 or SATA 2 depending on the controller.

Just some interesting trivia.

Jim

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Gleitsmann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2007, 10:22 PM
midol wrote:
> On Oct 14, 9:08 am, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Oct 13, 9:00 pm, Bob Gleitsmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> After trying it out I found the following problems:
>>> 1. PCI-X slots don't work. Only the PCI and PCI Express were operational.

>> Bob,
>>
>> I'm *sorry* about your problems, but I did not have them. I am using
>> *both* the PCI-X and PCI-E slots, and both continued to work.
>>
>>> 2. SCSI doesn't work

>> I am also using the onboard SCSI, and it has continued to work.
>> However, I am *not* using the driver from Tyan; I am using a driver
>> from LSI Logic. I took a chance, and it worked. I have a SCSI tape
>> drive.
>>
>>> 3. No boot option for net

>> I have *not* checked this.
>>
>>> 4. Max speed on SATA was 1.5 Gb/s instead of 3.0 (Did I measure this
>>> with a bit speedometer? No, I looked at the messages that Linux emits
>>> while it's booting.)

>> I am using a 3ware/AMCC SATA-3 controller (9550 SX), so I am not
>> running this off the motherboard.
>>
>>> After going back to 1.0.4, these problems went away. BTW, I am running
>>> Linux 2.6.22.9 at the moment (Fedora Core 6) and updated numerous times
>>> while 1.0.5 firmware was installed. All were the same. I don't know how
>>> it works with Win, don't have it installed on this machine.
>>> This makes me wonder about Tyan's QA.
>>> Oh, I didn't lose any functionality going back to 1.0.4. So if you want
>>> to cripple your computer, go ahead and install 1.0.5. Of course, your
>>> results may be totally different. I can say that I tried it and it
>>> didn't like it.

>> Sorry I recommended the new BIOS. Obviously it is *not* for
>> *everybody!*
>>
>> Jim

>
> I wonder about the half speed SATA drive. I bought a seagate 320 sata
> and found it was shipped from the factory with a jumper limiting it to
> half speed. Removed the jumper, full speed operation, and quite
> reliable. It looks like that's what we have here.
>
> Dave
>
>
>

I don't think that is what caused the problem as I had full speed with
the original v1.01 BIOS that came with the motherboard and also with V
1.04. I made no changes to the disk drive in getting the different results.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New K8WE Thunder (S2895) BIOS 105d Available Jim Tyan 0 06-02-2008 11:36 PM
which memory slots to fill on Tyan Thunder K8WE Scotter Tyan 3 01-12-2006 12:08 AM
PCI-X 100 MHz Sound Card for Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) Under x64 Jim Tyan 5 10-11-2005 09:35 PM
Thunder K8WE (S2895) SATA RAID Hell Francesco Chu Tyan 2 08-02-2005 05:52 PM
Thunder K8WE Overclocking Options? lukas@somnia.com Tyan 3 02-28-2005 11:12 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment