Is a new Mac Mini supposed supposed to come with a Mac OS X disc/USBdrive?

Ant

Hello.

I just got a new Mac Mini at work today. I noticed something from its
small box. Is it supposed to come with a Mac OS X 10.7.x install
disc/USB flash drive or something in case I ever need to reinstall, fix,
etc.? I only got these items:

1. Mac Mini
2. DVI to HDMI adapter
3. Power adapter
4. White Apple stickers
5. A manual (didn't see any disc and USB flash drive in it?)

If I am missing it, then I hope I don't have to return since I already
set it up, installed a bunch of software, copy my data, etc.

Thank you in advance.
--
"Cheerios: Hula-hoops for ants." --unknown
| |o o| |

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ant
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello.
>

> I just got a new Mac Mini at work today. I noticed something from its
> small box. Is it supposed to come with a Mac OS X 10.7.x install
> disc/USB flash drive or something in case I ever need to reinstall, fix,
> etc.? I only got these items:

nope. there's a recovery partition on the hard drive and it can
reinstall lion over the net from apple's servers if necessary.

Ant

On 6/15/2012 9:32 PM PT, nospam typed:

>> I just got a new Mac Mini at work today. I noticed something from its
>> small box. Is it supposed to come with a Mac OS X 10.7.x install
>> disc/USB flash drive or something in case I ever need to reinstall, fix,
>> etc.? I only got these items:

> nope. there's a recovery partition on the hard drive and it can
> reinstall lion over the net from apple's servers if necessary.

Oh! So how does one get to those? Is this happening on all new Apple
computers or just Mac Minis? Is there way to make a installer disc/USB
flash media like with IBM PCs? Physical medias would be faster than
downloading especially for those with crappy Internet connections and/or
with caps.
--
"I got worms! That's what we're going to call it. We're going to
specialize in selling worm farms. You know like ant farms. What's the

Larry Gusaas

On 2012-06-15 10:17 PM Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>

> I just got a new Mac Mini at work today. I noticed something from its small box. Is it
> supposed to come with a Mac OS X 10.7.x install disc/USB flash drive or something in case I
> ever need to reinstall, fix, etc.? I only got these items:
>
> 1. Mac Mini
> 2. DVI to HDMI adapter
> 3. Power adapter
> 4. White Apple stickers
> 5. A manual (didn't see any disc and USB flash drive in it?)
>
> If I am missing it, then I hope I don't have to return since I already set it up, installed a
> bunch of software, copy my data, etc.
>
> Thank you in advance.

From http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html
Lion Recovery
OS X Lion includes a built-in set of tools for repairing your Mac in the Recovery HD, a new
feature that lets you repair disks or reinstall OS X Lion without a physical disc. Learn more
about Lion Recovery http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I just got a new Mac Mini at work today. I noticed something from its
> >> small box. Is it supposed to come with a Mac OS X 10.7.x install
> >> disc/USB flash drive or something in case I ever need to reinstall, fix,
> >> etc.? I only got these items:

> > nope. there's a recovery partition on the hard drive and it can
> > reinstall lion over the net from apple's servers if necessary.

> Oh! So how does one get to those?

cmd-r

> Is this happening on all new Apple
> computers or just Mac Minis?

all new macs

> Is there way to make a installer disc/USB
> flash media like with IBM PCs? Physical medias would be faster than
> downloading especially for those with crappy Internet connections and/or
> with caps.

how often do you expect to be installing lion?

anyway, the really cool thing is you can network boot the mini with a
totally blank hard drive from apple.com and install lion. just be sure
you have a fast connection.

Ant

On 6/15/2012 9:38 PM PT, Larry Gusaas typed:

> From http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html
> Lion Recovery
> OS X Lion includes a built-in set of tools for repairing your Mac in the
> Recovery HD, a new feature that lets you repair disks or reinstall OS X
> Lion without a physical disc. Learn more about Lion Recovery
> http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

Thanks. That would suck if its HDD goes bad with the recovery!
--
"We ants are runnin' the show! We're the lords of the earth!" --ANTZ

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Is there way to make a installer disc/USB
> >> flash media like with IBM PCs? Physical medias would be faster than
> >> downloading especially for those with crappy Internet connections and/or
> >> with caps.

> > how often do you expect to be installing lion?

> You never know! What happen if the HDD goes bad?

restore from a backup.

> > anyway, the really cool thing is you can network boot the mini with a
> > totally blank hard drive from apple.com and install lion. just be sure
> > you have a fast connection.

> Yeah and no caps! That's not always the case. Hence, I still prefer the
> physical media. BTW, how big is Lion download and need for HDD space?

the installer is about 4 gig.

Michael Vilain

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 6/15/2012 9:38 PM PT, Larry Gusaas typed:
> >
> > From http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html
> > Lion Recovery
> > OS X Lion includes a built-in set of tools for repairing your Mac in the
> > Recovery HD, a new feature that lets you repair disks or reinstall OS X
> > Lion without a physical disc. Learn more about Lion Recovery
> > http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

> Thanks. That would suck if its HDD goes bad with the recovery!

that's why you have it on AppleCare, so you can take it into the
AppleStore to get it's disk replaced.

I don't know how this will work for 3rd-party, non-Apple Drives. I have
5 of them, all either data or with 10.6.8. None can be reformatted to
add a recovery partition. How does one 'recover' from _that_ situation?

JF Mezei

Larry Gusaas wrote:

> OS X Lion includes a built-in set of tools for repairing your Mac in the Recovery HD, a new
> feature that lets you repair disks or reinstall OS X Lion without a physical disc. Learn more
> about Lion Recovery http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

You still need to copy that partition to another physical media. If your
hard disk dies (hardware failure), then you lose that recovery partition
as well as your real partition.

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > anyway, the really cool thing is you can network boot the mini with a
> > totally blank hard drive from apple.com and install lion. just be sure
> > you have a fast connection.

> Yeah and no caps! That's not always the case. Hence, I still prefer the
> physical media.

You can buy a Lion installer USB Flash drive from Apple for $69.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as