New memory for K7S5A Pro

JimL

I bought the following memory which will not work in my K7S5A Pro
version 5.0:
MT4VDDT1664AG-335C3 PC2700U-25331-C1

Now I need to buy a 512mb stick that WILL work. Any suggestions?

Paul

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, JimL
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I bought the following memory which will not work in my K7S5A Pro
>version 5.0:
>MT4VDDT1664AG-335C3 PC2700U-25331-C1
>
> Now I need to buy a 512mb stick that WILL work. Any suggestions?

Just bought a Crucial 512mg 184 pin dimm 64Mx64 DDR 3200 unbuffered
for my k7s5a rev 3.1 - works fine.
On Crucial's website they will recommend and guarantee a stick of memory
for your motherboard. Worth the little extra.
--
Paul reply-to is valid

Ken

JimL wrote:
> I bought the following memory which will not work in my K7S5A Pro
> version 5.0:
> MT4VDDT1664AG-335C3 PC2700U-25331-C1
>
> Now I need to buy a 512mb stick that WILL work. Any suggestions?

As Paul suggested, the Crucial site will MAKE SURE the memory will work
on your MB. This MB has some issues with the density of the memory as I
found out when I tried to install a stick of Kingston 512MB DDR. It
recognized the size but would not run error free. I now have the
Kingston memory in another MB and it works fine.

JimL

Thanks,
Just ordered a 64mx64 stick from buy.com. I have my fingers crossed.

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:57:41 +0000, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, JimL
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>I bought the following memory which will not work in my K7S5A Pro
>>version 5.0:
>>MT4VDDT1664AG-335C3 PC2700U-25331-C1
>>
>> Now I need to buy a 512mb stick that WILL work. Any suggestions?
>>

>Just bought a Crucial 512mg 184 pin dimm 64Mx64 DDR 3200 unbuffered
>for my k7s5a rev 3.1 - works fine.
>On Crucial's website they will recommend and guarantee a stick of memory
>for your motherboard. Worth the little extra.

tod

I just installed a 512MB PC3200 Patriot brand, works fine.

Did you try clearing the bios before installing the memory?

"JimL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I bought the following memory which will not work in my K7S5A Pro
> version 5.0:
> MT4VDDT1664AG-335C3 PC2700U-25331-C1
>
> Now I need to buy a 512mb stick that WILL work. Any suggestions?

tcsenter

>>MT4VDDT1664AG-335C3<<

This module uses 4 - 16Mx16 DRAM chips with a total module capacity of
128MB.

For 512MB, you'll need a module that uses 8 - 64Mx8 DRAM chips or 16 -
32Mx8 DRAM chips, preferrably the latter for best compatibility. I've
found that Elixir Original modules work fine.

larry moe 'n curly

JimL wrote:

> I bought the following memory which will not work in my K7S5A Pro
> version 5.0: MT4VDDT1664AG-335C3 PC2700U-25331-C1

Have you tried configuring the BIOS manually? Because when I tested
various budget lines of PC3200 memory with several mobos rated for only
PC2100, most had problems if the BIOS was set to automatic memory
configuration, and I don't think any worked when the safe (slowest)
defaults were chosen. Otherwise the only modules that failed in these
PC2100 mobos were rated for PC2100, including a Kingston and a couple
of K-bytes.

I strongly suggest you test all memory overnight with both MemTest86
and Gold Memory because some errors don't appear for a long time, and
some are detected by only one of these diagnostics.

Eric Wolfe

"larry moe 'n curly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> I strongly suggest you test all memory overnight with both MemTest86
> and Gold Memory because some errors don't appear for a long time, and
> some are detected by only one of these diagnostics.

Thanks for the reminder. I was about to install the OS without deep testing
in my haste to see how fast the new machine was. The new NFORCE3-A clocks
at 1495MB per second compared to my old K7S5A's 495. I wonder how that will
translate into real world performance.

--
Eric

JimL

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 07:01:23 -0500, "Eric Wolfe"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"larry moe 'n curly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> I strongly suggest you test all memory overnight with both MemTest86
>> and Gold Memory because some errors don't appear for a long time, and
>> some are detected by only one of these diagnostics.

>Thanks for the reminder. I was about to install the OS without deep testing
>in my haste to see how fast the new machine was. The new NFORCE3-A clocks
>at 1495MB per second compared to my old K7S5A's 495. I wonder how that will
>translate into real world performance.

The K7S5A Pro has been a real workhorse for me. I now need to get
another machine that will be another workhorse for a couple of years.
I want nothing too cutting edge and would prefer a good video built
into the motherboard. I expect it to run Athlon 3400.
What do you recommend?

JimL

On 27 Feb 2006 04:10:16 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>JimL wrote:
>
>> I bought the following memory which will not work in my K7S5A Pro
>> version 5.0: MT4VDDT1664AG-335C3 PC2700U-25331-C1

>Have you tried configuring the BIOS manually? Because when I tested
>various budget lines of PC3200 memory with several mobos rated for only
>PC2100, most had problems if the BIOS was set to automatic memory
>configuration, and I don't think any worked when the safe (slowest)
>defaults were chosen. Otherwise the only modules that failed in these
>PC2100 mobos were rated for PC2100, including a Kingston and a couple
>of K-bytes.
>
>I strongly suggest you test all memory overnight with both MemTest86
>and Gold Memory because some errors don't appear for a long time, and
>some are detected by only one of these diagnostics.

Oh yeah, I tried everthing to make the memory work. Fortunately it
worked in my Fry's $99 Linspire machine and I needed it there so no
great loss..

Today, My new 512mb memory stick was added to a 256mb stick that I
had been running and a 128mb was removed. I then ran memtest first
thing and sure enough, I had 10 memory errors in 5 minutes of running.

I was dreading returning the kingston 512mb memory to buy.com, so I
double checked by removing my old 256mb chip that I had been running
for over a year, and testing with just the new memory. It checked
fine. I then added back my 128mb and it worked fine too.

So I take a close look at the bad 256mb chip, also a kingston value
ram and notice that it is pc2100. The new is Pc 3200 and the 128 is
pc2700. No wonder it was giving me errors. I've been running the
pc2100 chip at pc2700 speed for over a year.

Now that I think about it, I've had memory failures about once a
month and at exactly the same address that memtest showed. Evidently,
the 'bad' memory is in a range that is rarely used, because I run my
machine for weeks at a time without rebooting and it just keeps on
working.

Go Figure!

Should this memory work in K7S5A Pro PJx ECS 2 05-01-2004 07:13 PM
PC2100 memory for K7S5A Pro v5 32x4 ?? PJx ECS 1 04-10-2004 05:42 AM
mix memory on a K7S5A PRO ? Tod ECS 2 01-26-2004 06:02 PM
k7s5a Pro memory question.... Bilar Crais ECS 1 01-04-2004 09:45 AM
Core speed..... memory speed.... K7S5A Pro???? Xeno Chauvin ECS 3 10-02-2003 05:32 AM