New motherboard won't boot

Tom Hill

I am unable to boot a new ASRock K7VM3 motherboard that I am installing in
an
e-machines H2482 computer case.
I am using an Athlon XP 2400 CPU and 512-meg of DDR RAM, which both were
working correctly in another computer.
After installing the RAM, CPU and CPU fan, and connecting a 300 watt power
supply, I:

1. Connected the power cable to the motherboard
2. Connected a monitor
3. Connected the front panel power switch
4. Turned on the power switch on the power supply
5. Turned on the front panel power switch

The first time I followed these steps, the monitor did indicate the
motherboard was booting (startup routines, prompting to insert boot floppy).

I then did the following:

1. Turned off the power supply switch
2. Conncted the Hard Drive, Floppy Drive, CD Burner and CD ROM to the
mother board with ribbon cables
3. Connected the power supply cables to the Hard Drive, Floppy Drive, CD
Burner and CD ROM
4. Turned on the power switch on the power supply
5. Turned on the front panel power switch

At this point the CPU fan began spinning, but the motherboard would not
boot - nothing would appear on the monitor screen.

Then I did the following:

1. Disconnected everything from the motherboard except the monitor and the
power supply
2. Turned on the power supply switch
3. Shorted the power switch pins on the Front Panel Connector.

Again, the CPU fan began spinning but the motherboard would not boot -
nothing would appear on the monitor screen.

I tried resetting the CMOS but this had no impact.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Buffalo

"Tom Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V8wZe.22$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am unable to boot a new ASRock K7VM3 motherboard that I am installing in
> an
> e-machines H2482 computer case.
> I am using an Athlon XP 2400 CPU and 512-meg of DDR RAM, which both were
> working correctly in another computer.
> After installing the RAM, CPU and CPU fan, and connecting a 300 watt power
> supply, I:
>
> 1. Connected the power cable to the motherboard
> 2. Connected a monitor
> 3. Connected the front panel power switch
> 4. Turned on the power switch on the power supply
> 5. Turned on the front panel power switch
>
> The first time I followed these steps, the monitor did indicate the
> motherboard was booting (startup routines, prompting to insert boot floppy).
>
> I then did the following:
>
> 1. Turned off the power supply switch
> 2. Conncted the Hard Drive, Floppy Drive, CD Burner and CD ROM to the
> mother board with ribbon cables
> 3. Connected the power supply cables to the Hard Drive, Floppy Drive, CD
> Burner and CD ROM
> 4. Turned on the power switch on the power supply
> 5. Turned on the front panel power switch
>
> At this point the CPU fan began spinning, but the motherboard would not
> boot - nothing would appear on the monitor screen.
>
> Then I did the following:
>
> 1. Disconnected everything from the motherboard except the monitor and the
> power supply
> 2. Turned on the power supply switch
> 3. Shorted the power switch pins on the Front Panel Connector.
>
> Again, the CPU fan began spinning but the motherboard would not boot -
> nothing would appear on the monitor screen.
>
> I tried resetting the CMOS but this had no impact.
>
> Any ideas on what's going on here?

Check that the voltage selector on the back of the Power Supply Unit is in the
correct position. (115v-230v)
Check cpu heatsink for solid and proper mounting.
Check that the cpu/heatsink fan connector is on the proper set of pins.

Colon Terminus

"Tom Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V8wZe.22$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am unable to boot a new ASRock K7VM3 motherboard that I am installing in
> an
> e-machines H2482 computer case.
> I am using an Athlon XP 2400 CPU and 512-meg of DDR RAM, which both were
> working correctly in another computer.
> After installing the RAM, CPU and CPU fan, and connecting a 300 watt power
> supply, I:
>
> 1. Connected the power cable to the motherboard
> 2. Connected a monitor
> 3. Connected the front panel power switch
> 4. Turned on the power switch on the power supply
> 5. Turned on the front panel power switch
>
> The first time I followed these steps, the monitor did indicate the
> motherboard was booting (startup routines, prompting to insert boot

floppy).

> I then did the following:
>
> 1. Turned off the power supply switch
> 2. Conncted the Hard Drive, Floppy Drive, CD Burner and CD ROM to the
> mother board with ribbon cables
> 3. Connected the power supply cables to the Hard Drive, Floppy Drive, CD
> Burner and CD ROM
> 4. Turned on the power switch on the power supply
> 5. Turned on the front panel power switch
>
> At this point the CPU fan began spinning, but the motherboard would not
> boot - nothing would appear on the monitor screen.
>
> Then I did the following:
>
> 1. Disconnected everything from the motherboard except the monitor and the
> power supply
> 2. Turned on the power supply switch
> 3. Shorted the power switch pins on the Front Panel Connector.
>
> Again, the CPU fan began spinning but the motherboard would not boot -
> nothing would appear on the monitor screen.
>
> I tried resetting the CMOS but this had no impact.
>
> Any ideas on what's going on here?

Pretty good chance that the Mobo is dead.
It gave it's first feeble attempt, then keeled over.

Try RAM, Video and Processor in another board.