New problem: Start-up w/Athon

bruce hight

A day ago I got some help with my computer problem after I installed a
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard. Those suggestions helped, at least at
first, but now I'm in a new nightmare. The problems are probably related,
but I'm not sure how.

Here's the immediate problem: The computer freezes within a few minutes
after I boot up -- if I can even boot up. Sometimes it freezes during
boot-up, sometimes during Windows XP loading, sometimes after it's loaded
and I've even done one or two things such as check my e-mail before it
freezes again.

Sometimes when I reboot it just freezes up again. Sometimes it will reboot
part of the way and then freeze. Sometimes it will ask me if I want to go
into safe mode but usually not; sometimes it even freezes up when I'm trying
to decide.

I pulled the Santa Cruz card and even managed to get the drivers removed,
and reenabled the on-board audio, but none of that helped.

Specs: IWill 333-R motherboard, Athlon XP 1700, 512 PC2700 memory, Windows
XP. Until I put in the Santa Cruz card, this computer worked fine. White
box. 60-gig Seagate hardrive; DVD drive; CD-RW drive. (Note, until all this
happened, bios would report 333 memory at start-up; then it dropped to 200.
Your help showed me how to bump that to 266, but I could no longer bump it
back up to 333 and asynchronous mode without causing problems. It's back to
266.

I'm about ready to give up and take it to a tech, but wanted to see if
anyone had a silver bullet.

Thanks in advance. (I'm now using my eight-year-old Dell backup.)

Io

Possible problems:

faulty motherboard
faulty power supply unit
overheating CPU

JB

bruce hight wrote:
> A day ago I got some help with my computer problem after I installed a
> Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard. Those suggestions helped, at least at
> first, but now I'm in a new nightmare. The problems are probably related,
> but I'm not sure how.
>
> Here's the immediate problem: The computer freezes within a few minutes
> after I boot up -- if I can even boot up. Sometimes it freezes during
> boot-up, sometimes during Windows XP loading, sometimes after it's loaded
> and I've even done one or two things such as check my e-mail before it
> freezes again.
>
> Sometimes when I reboot it just freezes up again. Sometimes it will reboot
> part of the way and then freeze. Sometimes it will ask me if I want to go
> into safe mode but usually not; sometimes it even freezes up when I'm trying
> to decide.
>
> I pulled the Santa Cruz card and even managed to get the drivers removed,
> and reenabled the on-board audio, but none of that helped.
>
> Specs: IWill 333-R motherboard, Athlon XP 1700, 512 PC2700 memory, Windows
> XP. Until I put in the Santa Cruz card, this computer worked fine. White
> box. 60-gig Seagate hardrive; DVD drive; CD-RW drive. (Note, until all this
> happened, bios would report 333 memory at start-up; then it dropped to 200.
> Your help showed me how to bump that to 266, but I could no longer bump it
> back up to 333 and asynchronous mode without causing problems. It's back to
> 266.
>
> I'm about ready to give up and take it to a tech, but wanted to see if
> anyone had a silver bullet.
>
> Thanks in advance. (I'm now using my eight-year-old Dell backup.)

Check your bios, see if you have "plug and play" OS set to yes or no. I
always set it to no, as I've had Win 2000 have all sorts of problems
with IRQ's with this set to yes.