New RAM in Old MacBook?

Bill

I'm upgrading the RAM on my new MacBook Pro. Afterward, I will have the
two 2 GB modules that were in the MacBook Pro from the factory.

Can I use those modules to upgrade the RAM on an older MacBook?

The RAM specs are different:

New MacBook Pro RAM: 1600 MHz DDR3

Old MacBook: 667 MHz DDR2

So I propose to install the faster DDR3 RAM in place of the slower DDR2
RAM.

Anybody know if that will work?

David Empson

Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm upgrading the RAM on my new MacBook Pro. Afterward, I will have the
> two 2 GB modules that were in the MacBook Pro from the factory.
>
> Can I use those modules to upgrade the RAM on an older MacBook?
>
> The RAM specs are different:
>
> New MacBook Pro RAM: 1600 MHz DDR3
>
> Old MacBook: 667 MHz DDR2
>
> So I propose to install the faster DDR3 RAM in place of the slower DDR2
> RAM.
>
> Anybody know if that will work?

It won't. DDR3 and DDR2 are physically incompatible. They won't even fit
in the same slots, because the notch moved.

The old MacBook needs DDR2 SO-DIMMs, at least 667 MHz. DDR2-800 might
work, but I prefer to play it safe and stick to the same speed RAM as
the original memory (unless only faster RAM is available, and then only
in the same family).

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Bill

In article <1kn57mi.cm5rxn1f8vlioN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

> Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I'm upgrading the RAM on my new MacBook Pro. Afterward, I will have the
> > two 2 GB modules that were in the MacBook Pro from the factory.
> >
> > Can I use those modules to upgrade the RAM on an older MacBook?
> >
> > The RAM specs are different:
> >
> > New MacBook Pro RAM: 1600 MHz DDR3
> >
> > Old MacBook: 667 MHz DDR2
> >
> > So I propose to install the faster DDR3 RAM in place of the slower DDR2
> > RAM.
> >
> > Anybody know if that will work?

> It won't. DDR3 and DDR2 are physically incompatible. They won't even fit
> in the same slots, because the notch moved.
>
> The old MacBook needs DDR2 SO-DIMMs, at least 667 MHz. DDR2-800 might
> work, but I prefer to play it safe and stick to the same speed RAM as
> the original memory (unless only faster RAM is available, and then only
> in the same family).

Thanks

Lewis

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm upgrading the RAM on my new MacBook Pro. Afterward, I will have the
>two 2 GB modules that were in the MacBook Pro from the factory.

>Can I use those modules to upgrade the RAM on an older MacBook?

Don't think so. The late 2011 MBP used 204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3
SO-DIMM and the new MacBookPro uses 1600Mhz RAM. It is possible it will
work in a 1333MHz slot, but I kind of doubt it.

>The RAM specs are different:

>New MacBook Pro RAM: 1600 MHz DDR3

>Old MacBook: 667 MHz DDR2

Oh, that is *OLD*. no way that will work. DDR3 versus DDR2. The notch
isn't even in the same place.

<http://www.google.com/search?q=can+I+put+DDR3+RAm+into+DDR2+slot>

--
Real magic is the hand around the bandsaw, the thrown spark in the
powder keg, the dimension-warp linking you straight into the heart of a

Old Zip drive in new computer for 73 year old mother Dell 12 09-13-2005 01:52 PM
NEW install of RAM, bug. [WAS: No boot after installing RAM] Gildar en fazer Abit 1 08-30-2005 09:05 PM
new RAM old MOBO faddy ECS 6 07-28-2005 04:35 AM
Old 1571 and new RAM Nanook of the North Tyan 2 12-30-2003 06:57 PM
K7S5A Pro and old, old i740 AGP card -- freezes larrymoencurly ECS 1 08-28-2003 07:06 AM