D. SHAW

Abit KR7A-RAID mobo. Currently have 2 x 256Mb Crucial CL2.5 PC2100
166/233Mhz DDR sticks. Just added a 1Gb Samsung CL3 PC3200 400Mhz DDR but
only a total of 1Gb is showing up. Took out the Crucials and it now shows
512Mb, so the Samsung is only registering as 512Mb whatever the combination.
Tried the Samsung in another (more modern) mobo and the full 1Gb shows up.
The KR7A-RAID should support 1Gb modules up to 3Gb unbuffered in total. Any
clues anyone?

Vanguard

"D. SHAW" wrote in message
news:9VNoi.621$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Abit KR7A-RAID mobo. Currently have 2 x 256Mb Crucial CL2.5 PC2100
> 166/233Mhz DDR sticks. Just added a 1Gb Samsung CL3 PC3200 400Mhz DDR
> but only a total of 1Gb is showing up. Took out the Crucials and it
> now shows 512Mb, so the Samsung is only registering as 512Mb whatever
> the combination. Tried the Samsung in another (more modern) mobo and
> the full 1Gb shows up. The KR7A-RAID should support 1Gb modules up to
> 3Gb unbuffered in total. Any clues anyone?

There is a reason why the high-density modules are cheap: few
motherboards can use them. You only get half of the total capacity with
high-density modules so double the price you paid to see if the
effective price was cheaper than buying the same low-density memory at
the same effective capacity.

Sellers, like at eBay, like to lure uneducated users into buying the
high-density modules because of their lower cost (due to low demand).
Sometimes they will put a small tiny-sized blurb in their ad about your
mobo having to support high-density modules, sometimes they don't.

Read the following articles:
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheideg...ome_256MB_high
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/113885...w-density.html

You motherboard won't support the geometry (128x4) for high-density
memory. It supports the geometry (64x8) for low-density memory. Since
your mobo doesn't have the extra address line for 128-bit addressing and
because the bit depth is only 4 (instead of 8) on each chip, you see
only half the memory capacity.

Also, high-density modules are SLOWER than low-density ones. You got
ripped.