The new Shuttle 250 watt power supply

Jim T

I just installed the new Shuttle 250 watt power supply in a SB75g2
that originally sounded like a turbojet. My power supply runs cooler
now, the fan runs faster under same conditions, and the sound is a
little less. I don't think those of us who want silence will think it
is acceptable.

Eric Parker

"Jim T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I just installed the new Shuttle 250 watt power supply in a SB75g2
> that originally sounded like a turbojet. My power supply runs cooler
> now, the fan runs faster under same conditions, and the sound is a
> little less. I don't think those of us who want silence will think it
> is acceptable.

Jim

Is this the "Silent X" that you talk about ?

http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/ba..._a.asp?A_id=28

I suggested to someone that this power supply could quieten their SN41G2.

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Jim T

Yes, this is their new quiet Silent X power supply. Definitely runs
cooler. At similar fan speeds is a bit quieter. I am going to install
one in my SB 51g too.
But it did not make my SB75g2 "quiet".
JGT

"Eric Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<kD5Pb.6981$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Jim T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > I just installed the new Shuttle 250 watt power supply in a SB75g2
> > that originally sounded like a turbojet. My power supply runs cooler
> > now, the fan runs faster under same conditions, and the sound is a
> > little less. I don't think those of us who want silence will think it
> > is acceptable.

> Jim
>
> Is this the "Silent X" that you talk about ?
>
> http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/ba..._a.asp?A_id=28
>
> I suggested to someone that this power supply could quieten their SN41G2.
>
> eric

Clas Mehus

On 20 Jan 2004 07:55:30 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Jim T) wrote:

>Yes, this is their new quiet Silent X power supply. Definitely runs
>cooler. At similar fan speeds is a bit quieter. I am going to install
>one in my SB 51g too.
>But it did not make my SB75g2 "quiet".
>JGT

Let's hope for more models with external PSU.
I measured the ST61G4 to 41-43 dB with P4 2,8 GHz and Samsung P80 160
GB HDD -- almost 10 dB less with the ST62K with the same config (the
temperature inside the "case" I use for noise-measurements was about
26-27 degrees after the PC had been on for a while with the case
closed -- did this to see how the heat could make the fans spin
faster. While 26-27 is very hot here in Norway for a room, it ain't
unnormal other places...) . The ST61G4 has the SilentX, while the
ST62K was the one annonced today with 180W external PSU. Too bad the
ST62K don't have AGP.... But let's hope for some other models with
external PSU -- which don't have fan(s).

--
Clas Mehus
Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/

Olaf Krause

For me it's around 5 ° cooler (new 41° old 50°) but noisier then the old
default one (SB61G2)

news:(E-Mail Removed) m...