new to tablet pc & MS Office Small Business 2007

muddywater

I'm new to tablets and am considering purchasing a Toshiba Portege M700
series. Is vista the best os
for a tablet? Will handwriting that is input on a tablet automatically be
transcribed into text in a "Word" or excel document without any additional
program installed other than MS Office Small Business 2007?

--
Thanks for your help!
"Muddy"

Invalid

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
muddywater <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I'm new to tablets and am considering purchasing a Toshiba Portege M700
>series. Is vista the best os
>for a tablet? Will handwriting that is input on a tablet automatically be
>transcribed into text in a "Word" or excel document without any additional
>program installed other than MS Office Small Business 2007?

To answer you questions

Vista - probably yes if the laptop comes with it preinstalled from the
manufacturer. The handwriting recognition is (In my opinion) better in
Vista than XP. On the other hand you need a significantly higher spec
machine to run Vista.

Handwriting will automatically be transcribed into (almost) any program.
That said the integration with Word is good and works well. However
unless you are a really bad typist you will find using the keyboard
quicker for text input if you are sitting at a desk. Standing, walking
around or relaxing in an easy chair the handwriting is probably more
comfortable.

I haven't uses Excel 2007 so I don't know whether they have made
significant changes, but Excel 2003 and earlier, or any spreadsheet, is
probably the worst experience with a tablet. It does work, but it is not
a good match. If all you are entering is text and data into a pre-built
sheet, it is just about acceptable. If you want to enter formulae then
you will be better off with the keyboard. The recognition system wants
to interpret your input as English words - formulae are will be garbled.

I hope this helps
--
Peter R Cook