New theory/story: Bios is dead ! Possible evidence: CPU Fan spins slowly.

Skybuck

Hello,

The BIOS chip could be dead.

Possible evidence:

When turning on the power the cpu fan spins slowly ?!

(Some have said the cpu fan is controlled by motherboard and spins up
to full speed (?))

Possible invalid evidence:

Graphics cards fans spin up to 100%, this is probably invalid evidence
since these fans could be controlled by the cards themselfes ?!

^^^ These do spin up last time I checked ^^^

Possible causes for dead bios:

1. Bios attack from "crack".

2. Bios corruption from many resets because of system freeze. (Maybe
power surges)

3. Bugged beta bios killed it.

4. Flashing could be bad, some transistors failed to be flashed
properly.

5. Bad quality of bios chip. (Possibly refurbished motherboard (?))

6. Bios chip damaged by touching it.

7. Wrong settings killed bios chip (?).

8. Too much heat killed bios chip (?).

Bye,
Skybuck.

Eeyore

Skybuck wrote:

> Possible causes for dead bios:
>
> 1. Bios attack from "crack".

"Crack" is what you're on.

Graham

Skybuck

On Jun 4, 9:39 am, Eeyore <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Skybuck wrote:
> > Possible causes for dead bios:

> > 1. Bios attack from "crack".

> "Crack" is what you're on.
>
> Graham

I wish I was then it was all a gigant illusion

And everything would be fine as the crack's effects were out

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Paul

Skybuck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The BIOS chip could be dead.
>
> Possible evidence:
>
> When turning on the power the cpu fan spins slowly ?!
>
> (Some have said the cpu fan is controlled by motherboard and spins up
> to full speed (?))
>
> Possible invalid evidence:
>
> Graphics cards fans spin up to 100%, this is probably invalid evidence
> since these fans could be controlled by the cards themselfes ?!
>
> ^^^ These do spin up last time I checked ^^^
>
> Possible causes for dead bios:
>
> 1. Bios attack from "crack".
>
> 2. Bios corruption from many resets because of system freeze. (Maybe
> power surges)
>
> 3. Bugged beta bios killed it.
>
> 4. Flashing could be bad, some transistors failed to be flashed
> properly.
>
> 5. Bad quality of bios chip. (Possibly refurbished motherboard (?))
>
> 6. Bios chip damaged by touching it.
>
> 7. Wrong settings killed bios chip (?).
>
> 8. Too much heat killed bios chip (?).
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

I'm waiting for you to stop crossposting, so someone can help you.
This doesn't belong in sci.electronics.design. Try posting *only*
to the alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus group, and then someone can
walk through a test procedure..

Paul

Craig Sutton

"Skybuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> The BIOS chip could be dead.
>
> Possible evidence:
>
> When turning on the power the cpu fan spins slowly ?!

For gods sake.. get over the fixation of fans, static and bios chips..

You havn't even done the most simple of checking procedures. Which would be
checking the power supply or trying with another one.

Or disconnect all the unecessary extra components such as all the extras
hd's.

Before faffing around with bios chips and pulling out motherboards and what
not It would of been the first thing I would of checked.

David L. Jones

On Jun 4, 5:11 pm, Skybuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The BIOS chip could be dead.
>
> Possible evidence:
>
> When turning on the power the cpu fan spins slowly ?!
>
> (Some have said the cpu fan is controlled by motherboard and spins up
> to full speed (?))
>
> Possible invalid evidence:
>
> Graphics cards fans spin up to 100%, this is probably invalid evidence
> since these fans could be controlled by the cards themselfes ?!
>
> ^^^ These do spin up last time I checked ^^^
>
> Possible causes for dead bios:
>
> 1. Bios attack from "crack".
>
> 2. Bios corruption from many resets because of system freeze. (Maybe
> power surges)
>
> 3. Bugged beta bios killed it.
>
> 4. Flashing could be bad, some transistors failed to be flashed
> properly.
>
> 5. Bad quality of bios chip. (Possibly refurbished motherboard (?))
>
> 6. Bios chip damaged by touching it.
>
> 7. Wrong settings killed bios chip (?).
>
> 8. Too much heat killed bios chip (?).
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

This explains the problem completely:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEBKAC

Dave.

Maus

"David L. Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jun 4, 5:11 pm, Skybuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The BIOS chip could be dead.
>>
>> Possible evidence:
>>
>> When turning on the power the cpu fan spins slowly ?!
>>
>> (Some have said the cpu fan is controlled by motherboard and spins up
>> to full speed (?))
>>
>> Possible invalid evidence:
>>
>> Graphics cards fans spin up to 100%, this is probably invalid evidence
>> since these fans could be controlled by the cards themselfes ?!
>>
>> ^^^ These do spin up last time I checked ^^^
>>
>> Possible causes for dead bios:
>>
>> 1. Bios attack from "crack".
>>
>> 2. Bios corruption from many resets because of system freeze. (Maybe
>> power surges)
>>
>> 3. Bugged beta bios killed it.
>>
>> 4. Flashing could be bad, some transistors failed to be flashed
>> properly.
>>
>> 5. Bad quality of bios chip. (Possibly refurbished motherboard (?))
>>
>> 6. Bios chip damaged by touching it.
>>
>> 7. Wrong settings killed bios chip (?).
>>
>> 8. Too much heat killed bios chip (?).
>>
>> Bye,
>> Skybuck.

> This explains the problem completely:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEBKAC
>
> Dave.

Wrong! i think it's PICNIC!

Maus

--
(\__/)
(O.o )

Alfred Kaufmann

Another possible cause, Motherboard Logo program corrupted the bios.
Ak

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 00:11:37 -0700, Skybuck <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>The BIOS chip could be dead.
>
>Possible evidence:
>
>When turning on the power the cpu fan spins slowly ?!
>
>(Some have said the cpu fan is controlled by motherboard and spins up
>to full speed (?))
>
>Possible invalid evidence:
>
>Graphics cards fans spin up to 100%, this is probably invalid evidence
>since these fans could be controlled by the cards themselfes ?!
>
>^^^ These do spin up last time I checked ^^^
>
>Possible causes for dead bios:
>
>1. Bios attack from "crack".
>
>2. Bios corruption from many resets because of system freeze. (Maybe
>power surges)
>
>3. Bugged beta bios killed it.
>
>4. Flashing could be bad, some transistors failed to be flashed
>properly.
>
>5. Bad quality of bios chip. (Possibly refurbished motherboard (?))
>
>6. Bios chip damaged by touching it.
>
>7. Wrong settings killed bios chip (?).
>
>8. Too much heat killed bios chip (?).
>
>Bye,
> Skybuck.

John Larkin

wrote:

>Hello,
>
>The BIOS chip could be dead.

The more you muck with this board, the more damage you are going to
do. You don't have 5% of the knowledge or the tools to work on
something this complex. Either get a new motherboard, or send this one
back for repair. Expect to pay for repair, as you have likely voided
the warranty by messing with it.

And please don't post this endless tale of woe to s.e.d. It's actually
not appropriate.

John

Jim Yanik

"Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:f40fgp$7su$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Skybuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> The BIOS chip could be dead.
>>
>> Possible evidence:
>>
>> When turning on the power the cpu fan spins slowly ?!
>>

> For gods sake.. get over the fixation of fans, static and bios chips..
>

> You havn't even done the most simple of checking procedures. Which
> would be checking the power supply or trying with another one.
>
> Or disconnect all the unecessary extra components such as all the
> extras hd's.
>
> Before faffing around with bios chips and pulling out motherboards and
> what not It would of been the first thing I would of checked.

My PC(900Mhz Athlon) was having trouble BECAUSE of a bad PC fan.
It was loading the PS and causing reboots.And the fan was still turning at
speed,not slow.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

New CPU = No POST (Fan spins briefly) Ryan Asus 9 06-14-2007 02:28 AM
CPU fan rarely spins Knack AMD Overclocking 19 12-20-2005 08:25 AM
CPU fan rarely spins Knack Laptops 19 12-20-2005 08:25 AM
CPU fan spins every 20 minutes yes PC Hardware 0 07-25-2005 11:05 AM
Power supply dead? CPU fan still spins. hirvonen@hotmail.com PC Hardware 12 05-23-2005 02:44 AM