New Thinkpad battery won't hold charge

pat

I was recently given a Thinkpad T22. When I first got it it wouldn't run at
all off the battery (although it runs fine off the AC adapter). I assumed
this was because the battery was old and worn out. So I purchased a
replacement battery, and after letting it charge overnight (where it
appeared to recharge fine) I went to use it but after only 3 or 4 minutes of
use got a message saying the battery was low and to shut down. The power
died shortly after. Although it's possible the new battery could be bad,
that seems unlikely. So I'm wondering if there could be some other problem
with the unit (maybe with the recharging?). Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help. -Pat

John Doue

pat wrote:
> I was recently given a Thinkpad T22. When I first got it it wouldn't run at
> all off the battery (although it runs fine off the AC adapter). I assumed
> this was because the battery was old and worn out. So I purchased a
> replacement battery, and after letting it charge overnight (where it
> appeared to recharge fine) I went to use it but after only 3 or 4 minutes of
> use got a message saying the battery was low and to shut down. The power
> died shortly after. Although it's possible the new battery could be bad,
> that seems unlikely. So I'm wondering if there could be some other problem
> with the unit (maybe with the recharging?). Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks for any help. -Pat

I would start by asking the giver ... May be he also experienced the
problem. It certainly looks like there is a short somewhere that drains
the battery very fast but not so badly the power supply cannot
compensate for it.

Regards

--
John Doue

Woody

New battery or used battery. Where did it come from? If from e-bay it could
be someone else's junk.

"John Doue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u5Ljh.5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> pat wrote:
>> I was recently given a Thinkpad T22. When I first got it it wouldn't run
>> at all off the battery (although it runs fine off the AC adapter). I
>> assumed this was because the battery was old and worn out. So I
>> purchased a replacement battery, and after letting it charge overnight
>> (where it appeared to recharge fine) I went to use it but after only 3 or
>> 4 minutes of use got a message saying the battery was low and to shut
>> down. The power died shortly after. Although it's possible the new
>> battery could be bad, that seems unlikely. So I'm wondering if there
>> could be some other problem with the unit (maybe with the recharging?).
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks for any help. -Pat

> I would start by asking the giver ... May be he also experienced the
> problem. It certainly looks like there is a short somewhere that drains
> the battery very fast but not so badly the power supply cannot compensate
> for it.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> John Doue

Pat Kelecy

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was away over the holiday.

The battery did come from eBay, but the seller assures me he tested it in a
T22 and that it ran for well over an hour. He seems honest, and has offered
to give me a refund, if I want, so I'm inclined to believe him. I guess the
only way to know for sure is to get another battery and try it. But if
there is some other problem with the unit, I was hoping to be able to
confirm that, and, if possible, fix it before going through the trouble of
returning the battery.

Any ideas on how I might be able to trouble shoot this? Could the CMOS
battery (which has never been replaced) play a role in this?

Thanks. -Pat

"Woody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4jikh.17938$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> New battery or used battery. Where did it come from? If from e-bay it
> could be someone else's junk.
>

> "John Doue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u5Ljh.5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> pat wrote:
>>> I was recently given a Thinkpad T22. When I first got it it wouldn't
>>> run at all off the battery (although it runs fine off the AC adapter).
>>> I assumed this was because the battery was old and worn out. So I
>>> purchased a replacement battery, and after letting it charge overnight
>>> (where it appeared to recharge fine) I went to use it but after only 3
>>> or 4 minutes of use got a message saying the battery was low and to shut
>>> down. The power died shortly after. Although it's possible the new
>>> battery could be bad, that seems unlikely. So I'm wondering if there
>>> could be some other problem with the unit (maybe with the recharging?).
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help. -Pat

>> I would start by asking the giver ... May be he also experienced the
>> problem. It certainly looks like there is a short somewhere that drains
>> the battery very fast but not so badly the power supply cannot compensate
>> for it.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> --
>> John Doue

Woody

You need to check the voltage of the battery and load test it. Did the
battery light on the laptop show it was charging for a couple hours before
turning green? What kind of battery is it. Li-ion? Bring up on AC and run PC
Doctor. If not on your Thinkpad you can get it from the Lenovo support site
as well as any drivers you may need and the hardware service manual. First
though is to check the battery voltage. Fully charged it should read a
couple volts above the Nom voltage listed on the battery label.

"Pat Kelecy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry for the delay in responding. I was away over the holiday.
>
> The battery did come from eBay, but the seller assures me he tested it in
> a T22 and that it ran for well over an hour. He seems honest, and has
> offered to give me a refund, if I want, so I'm inclined to believe him. I
> guess the only way to know for sure is to get another battery and try it.
> But if there is some other problem with the unit, I was hoping to be able
> to confirm that, and, if possible, fix it before going through the trouble
> of returning the battery.
>
> Any ideas on how I might be able to trouble shoot this? Could the CMOS
> battery (which has never been replaced) play a role in this?
>
> Thanks. -Pat
>

> "Woody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4jikh.17938$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>> New battery or used battery. Where did it come from? If from e-bay it
>> could be someone else's junk.
>>

>> "John Doue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:u5Ljh.5$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I would start by asking the giver ... May be he also experienced the
>>> problem. It certainly looks like there is a short somewhere that drains
>>> the battery very fast but not so badly the power supply cannot
>>> compensate for it.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> --
>>> John Doue

Pat Kelecy

It's a Li-ion battery (original IBM). Since posting this I've done some
further investigations and think part of what is going on is a software
issue (with the way the laptop tracks the state of charge). I updated the
BIOS and applied other updates to the system (using ThinkVantage System
Update) and recharged the battery again. The laptop will now run for about
30 minutes on battery alone. That's a lot better than what I was seeing
before, but still not the hour + the seller claimed.

When charged, the Battery Information indicates the battery is at about 12.5
volts, and during operation it draws between 1 to 2 amp, depending on what
the laptop is doing. That seems reasonable, but since it only lasts about
half an hour is no where near the rated 3.6 amp hours.

I'll try checking the voltage with my meter (to confirm that it really is at
12.5V when charged) and also run PC Doctor. It would be nice if I could
somehow eke a little more run time out of it.

Thanks for the help. -Pat

"Woody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vCzlh.7879$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> You need to check the voltage of the battery and load test it. Did the
> battery light on the laptop show it was charging for a couple hours before
> turning green? What kind of battery is it. Li-ion? Bring up on AC and run
> PC Doctor. If not on your Thinkpad you can get it from the Lenovo support
> site as well as any drivers you may need and the hardware service manual.
> First though is to check the battery voltage. Fully charged it should read
> a couple volts above the Nom voltage listed on the battery label.
>
> "Pat Kelecy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sorry for the delay in responding. I was away over the holiday.
>>
>> The battery did come from eBay, but the seller assures me he tested it in
>> a T22 and that it ran for well over an hour. He seems honest, and has
>> offered to give me a refund, if I want, so I'm inclined to believe him.
>> I guess the only way to know for sure is to get another battery and try
>> it. But if there is some other problem with the unit, I was hoping to be
>> able to confirm that, and, if possible, fix it before going through the
>> trouble of returning the battery.
>>
>> Any ideas on how I might be able to trouble shoot this? Could the CMOS
>> battery (which has never been replaced) play a role in this?
>>
>> Thanks. -Pat
>>

>> "Woody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4jikh.17938$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>>> New battery or used battery. Where did it come from? If from e-bay it
>>> could be someone else's junk.
>>>

>>> "John Doue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:u5Ljh.5$(E-Mail Removed)...

PJ

Pat Kelecy wrote:
> It's a Li-ion battery (original IBM). Since posting this I've done some
> further investigations and think part of what is going on is a software
> issue (with the way the laptop tracks the state of charge). I updated the
> BIOS and applied other updates to the system (using ThinkVantage System
> Update) and recharged the battery again. The laptop will now run for about
> 30 minutes on battery alone. That's a lot better than what I was seeing
> before, but still not the hour + the seller claimed.
>
> When charged, the Battery Information indicates the battery is at about 12.5
> volts, and during operation it draws between 1 to 2 amp, depending on what
> the laptop is doing. That seems reasonable, but since it only lasts about
> half an hour is no where near the rated 3.6 amp hours.
>
> I'll try checking the voltage with my meter (to confirm that it really is at
> 12.5V when charged) and also run PC Doctor. It would be nice if I could
> somehow eke a little more run time out of it.
>
> Thanks for the help. -Pat
>

> "Woody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vCzlh.7879$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> You need to check the voltage of the battery and load test it. Did the
>> battery light on the laptop show it was charging for a couple hours before
>> turning green? What kind of battery is it. Li-ion? Bring up on AC and run
>> PC Doctor. If not on your Thinkpad you can get it from the Lenovo support
>> site as well as any drivers you may need and the hardware service manual.
>> First though is to check the battery voltage. Fully charged it should read
>> a couple volts above the Nom voltage listed on the battery label.
>>
>> "Pat Kelecy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Sorry for the delay in responding. I was away over the holiday.
>>>
>>> The battery did come from eBay, but the seller assures me he tested it in
>>> a T22 and that it ran for well over an hour. He seems honest, and has
>>> offered to give me a refund, if I want, so I'm inclined to believe him.
>>> I guess the only way to know for sure is to get another battery and try
>>> it. But if there is some other problem with the unit, I was hoping to be
>>> able to confirm that, and, if possible, fix it before going through the
>>> trouble of returning the battery.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how I might be able to trouble shoot this? Could the CMOS
>>> battery (which has never been replaced) play a role in this?
>>>
>>> Thanks. -Pat
>>>

>>> "Woody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4jikh.17938$(E-Mail Removed) et...

The CMOS battery shouldn't be a player in this. When the CMOS batt
dies, you'll get an error message when you start the machine.

Remember that, particularly when new, batts thrive on a couple of
complete charge-discharge cycles (more so NiMH's than Lion's). If it's
an older battery that's laid dormant for several months, you might try
the charge, then fully discharge routine.

--
PJ
'89 auto cpe - '02 eblu 6spd