Newbie question (sorry)

bornfree

These are my questions -
re: overclocking your CPU

Why would overclocking cause your system to crash or bluescreen?

Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system and
be pretty much certain it will be stable?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh interweb bornfree typed:
> These are my questions -
> re: overclocking your CPU
>
> Why would overclocking cause your system to crash or bluescreen?

Because your CPU is not stable and is producing errors.

> Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system and
> be pretty much certain it will be stable?

Hell yes! Who in their right mind would run an unstable system?

My E4500 (2.2GHz nominal) is running at 3.3GHz rock-solid. I wouldn't have
it any other way.

There are utilities that you can run (Memtest, Prime95, Orthos, TAT....)
that push your system to it's limits. If it can run all of those at least
overnight then you can be pretty confident that it's stable.
--
TTFN,

Shaun.

Ed Medlin

"bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> These are my questions -
> re: overclocking your CPU
>
> Why would overclocking cause your system to crash or bluescreen?
>
> Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system and
> be pretty much certain it will be stable?

Of course, that is why we do it. No overclock is good unless it is at least
as stable as a stock system as far as I am concerned. We actually
'overbuild' our systems to the point that they should be just as stable, if
not more so, than a stock system with all OEM parts. We cool better, we also
test the hell out of stability before we consider our system "done". There
are many reasons that an overclocked system would crash. Needing a bit more
Vcore voltage is one of them. Raising Vcore will raise temps so then you
need to make sure your cooling system is up to par. I have two overclocked
systems here that are both rock solid with no issues at all. Laptops are the
only thing around here that run at stock speeds..........:-)

Ed

bornfree

On 22 Nov, 13:06, "Ed Medlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > These are my questions -
> > re: overclocking your CPU

> > Why would overclocking cause your system to crash or bluescreen?

> > Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system and
> > be pretty much certain it will be stable?

> Of course, that is why we do it.

Sorry I meant

Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system and
be pretty much certain it will be stable /without stress testing it/?

But I guess I should already know the answer now anyway.

Ed Medlin

"bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 22 Nov, 13:06, "Ed Medlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > These are my questions -
>> > re: overclocking your CPU

>> > Why would overclocking cause your system to crash or bluescreen?

>> > Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system and
>> > be pretty much certain it will be stable?

>> Of course, that is why we do it.

> Sorry I meant
>
> Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system and
> be pretty much certain it will be stable /without stress testing it/?
>
> But I guess I should already know the answer now anyway.

Stressing the system is part of the overclocking process. The goal is to
lessen that stress as much as possible with extra cooling, ventilation ect.
There are some who overclock, mainly for bragging rights, and if the system
boots into Windows it is a successful overclock. The vast majority of us in
this group are far more meticulous than that (not that we don't look for
bragging rights now and then.......:-). A PERFECTLY stable system is always
my first benchmark objective. Performance benchmarks come later.

Ed

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh interweb Ed Medlin typed:
> "bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 22 Nov, 13:06, "Ed Medlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> "bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Of course, that is why we do it.

>> Sorry I meant
>>
>> Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system
>> and be pretty much certain it will be stable /without stress testing
>> it/? But I guess I should already know the answer now anyway.

> Stressing the system is part of the overclocking process. The goal is
> to lessen that stress as much as possible with extra cooling,
> ventilation ect. There are some who overclock, mainly for bragging
> rights, and if the system boots into Windows it is a successful
> overclock. The vast majority of us in this group are far more
> meticulous than that (not that we don't look for bragging rights now
> and then.......:-). A PERFECTLY stable system is always my first
> benchmark objective. Performance benchmarks come later.

What Ed said.
--
TTFN,

Shaun.

Newbie Question Pete Abit 1 07-03-2005 03:23 PM
Newbie question on AI7 & Motherbroad Monitor NewsReader Abit 1 08-08-2004 12:36 PM
re-newbie question: HDD drivers & support Mark Asus 1 11-24-2003 02:51 AM
Newbie question Dave Davidson Asus 2 11-06-2003 03:18 AM
Re: Super Newbie Question, Please Egil Solberg Asus 4 07-21-2003 10:30 AM