NEWBIE QUESTION

Apologies if this is a really stupid question #(or if it doesn't make
sense!)

Someone has given me a 5.1 surround sound system for my pc - problem is I
have a fairly basic sound card - it's a SoundMax Integrated digitial audio
card - the original one that came with my PC a couple of years ago. Without
wishing to spend too much upgrading my soundcard, what is the best way for
me to make use of the surround sound system, or should I just stick with my
2 ancient OEM speakers?

cheers

Rob

H wrote:

>Apologies if this is a really stupid question #(or if it doesn't make
>sense!)
>
>Someone has given me a 5.1 surround sound system for my pc - problem is I
>have a fairly basic sound card - it's a SoundMax Integrated digitial audio
>card - the original one that came with my PC a couple of years ago. Without
>wishing to spend too much upgrading my soundcard, what is the best way for
>me to make use of the surround sound system, or should I just stick with my
>2 ancient OEM speakers?
>
>cheers

Pretty sure you could get a basic retail 5.1 card for $10 to $15 , less
for an OEM. Check E-bay or local shops.
Rob

Tod

H wrote:
> Apologies if this is a really stupid question #(or if it doesn't make
> sense!)
>
> Someone has given me a 5.1 surround sound system for my pc - problem is I
> have a fairly basic sound card - it's a SoundMax Integrated digitial audio
> card - the original one that came with my PC a couple of years ago. Without
> wishing to spend too much upgrading my soundcard, what is the best way for
> me to make use of the surround sound system, or should I just stick with my
> 2 ancient OEM speakers?
>
> cheers

You can get a sound card with the C-Media CMI8738 chip
starting at $8

The Chaintech AV-710 card will give you really good sound
starting at $24

www.pricewatch.com

I've just installed a used Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card
in my computer, cost me $20.50 on www.ebay.com
The Santa Cruz has a built in DSP chip.
You can also have both the speakers (2 or 4)and headphones
plugged in at the same time.

Newbie Question Pete Abit 1 07-03-2005 03:23 PM
Newbie question on AI7 & Motherbroad Monitor NewsReader Abit 1 08-08-2004 12:36 PM
re-newbie question: HDD drivers & support Mark Asus 1 11-24-2003 02:51 AM
Newbie question Dave Davidson Asus 2 11-06-2003 03:18 AM
Re: Super Newbie Question, Please Egil Solberg Asus 4 07-21-2003 10:30 AM