Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Newegg has Diamond X1950 Pro 512MB AGP

 
 
Too_Much_Coffee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
me/2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2006, 02:28 AM
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:33:12 -0800, "Too_Much_Coffee "
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

:>$290.00 USD
:>
:>
:>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814103024
:>
:>or
:>
:>http://tinyurl.com/yec4gl
:>

So other than Shader Model 3.0 what does this offer over a X850XT PE
AGP card? Performance improvement worth the cost? Is it really only 12
pipelines? Any information will be appreciated. I haven't been
following the specs on the newer chips lately since none of them
seemed to offer a performance increase over what I've already got.

Thanks,
me/2
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
oldwolf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2006, 03:48 AM
Have a look here: http://www.diamondmm.com/X1950PRO512AGP.php
Has 36/8, same as PCI-E version.


"me/2" <null@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:33:12 -0800, "Too_Much_Coffee "
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

:>$290.00 USD
:>
:>
:>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814103024
:>
:>or
:>
:>http://tinyurl.com/yec4gl
:>

So other than Shader Model 3.0 what does this offer over a X850XT PE
AGP card? Performance improvement worth the cost? Is it really only 12
pipelines? Any information will be appreciated. I haven't been
following the specs on the newer chips lately since none of them
seemed to offer a performance increase over what I've already got.

Thanks,
me/2


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kent_Diego
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2006, 04:03 AM
> $290.00 USD
>
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814103024
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yec4gl
>
>

Newegg is a great place to shop. I was looking at the PowerColor X1950 Pro
review on FiringSquad.com earlier today. That version has a very nice
looking cooler attached and is only $259 at Directron. I saw it for $249
somewhere but cannot find again. The Sapphire version with 512MB for $249 is
at AllStartShop.com (but out of stock). You could buy a much inferior 7800GS
or X850XT for similar price as the X1950 Pro. Best AGP performance at a
reasonable price.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kent_Diego
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2006, 04:06 AM
> ..... I was looking at the PowerColor X1950 Pro review on FiringSquad.com
> earlier today. That version has a very nice looking cooler attached and
> is only $259 at Directron. I saw it for $249 somewhere but cannot find
> again. ....


Here it is. In stock $249.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec....0&RSKU=AA65470


 
Reply With Quote
 
First of One
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2006, 06:01 AM
FiringSquad has a comparison between the X1950 Pro and the previously
fastest AGP cards like the X850XT PE and 7800GS. Whether the performance
improvement is worth the upgrade depends on the max resolution of your
monitor and the games you play:
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/powe...view/page5.asp

Even though the X1950 Pro has 12 texture units, keep in mind it has 36 pixel
shaders versus 16 on the X850XT. Shader-heavy games will see the X1950 Pro
pull ahead, with a wider margin at high resolutions. (More pixels - more
pixel shader operations.) The X1950 Pro is 60% faster in Company of Heroes,
60% faster in Pacific Fighters, 40% faster in BF2142, and 18% faster in
Quake 4.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

"me/2" <null@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So other than Shader Model 3.0 what does this offer over a X850XT PE
> AGP card? Performance improvement worth the cost? Is it really only 12
> pipelines? Any information will be appreciated. I haven't been
> following the specs on the newer chips lately since none of them
> seemed to offer a performance increase over what I've already got.
>
> Thanks,
> me/2



 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2006, 06:17 AM
"First of One" <root@localhost> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> FiringSquad has a comparison between the X1950 Pro and the previously
> fastest AGP cards like the X850XT PE and 7800GS.


Not all 7800GS's are created equal. Gainward's 7800GS+
has 24 pipes, 512MB, SM3.0, dual-link DVI etc. I'm hoping
to see side-by-side performance benchmarks with the GS+
and X1950 AGP.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Too_Much_Coffee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2006, 07:00 AM
me/2 wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:33:12 -0800, "Too_Much_Coffee "
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> $290.00 USD
>>>
>>>
>>>

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814103024
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/yec4gl
>>>

>
> So other than Shader Model 3.0 what does this offer over a

X850XT PE
> AGP card? Performance improvement worth the cost? Is it really

only
> 12 pipelines? Any information will be appreciated. I haven't

been
> following the specs on the newer chips lately since none of

them
> seemed to offer a performance increase over what I've already

got.

Here's a review in German that compares several of the fastest
AGP cards. No 850 but the 800 is there. No need to translate
really.

http://www.hartware.de/review_668.html

It would have been nice if all the cards tested had the same
amount of memory. Considering the difference in price, the
7800GS doesn't look too bad. Newegg only wants $175.99 for the
BFG 7800GS OC. The 256MB X1950 AGP is only $240 at Amazon but it
won't be available until Jan 15.

Amazon:
http://tinyurl.com/yglhzr

TMC
>
> Thanks,
> me/2




 
Reply With Quote
 
First of One
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2006, 07:22 AM
The Gainward 7800GS+ is essentially a 7900GT on AGP, so at best it will
perform like a regular 7900GT. The X1950 Pro AGP has been shown to perform
almost identically to its PCIe counterpart. There are plenty of articles
that include both the 7900GT and X1950 Pro PCIe, like this one:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2858&p=5 . It can be seen that
the two chipsets offer very similar levels of performance.

Note the Gainward 7800GS+ still carries an inflated pricetag. With PCIe
7900GT cards dropping in price continuously, the disparity is almost at a
factor of two.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9wnlh.55538$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> "First of One" <root@localhost> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> FiringSquad has a comparison between the X1950 Pro and the previously
>> fastest AGP cards like the X850XT PE and 7800GS.

>
> Not all 7800GS's are created equal. Gainward's 7800GS+
> has 24 pipes, 512MB, SM3.0, dual-link DVI etc. I'm hoping
> to see side-by-side performance benchmarks with the GS+
> and X1950 AGP.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2006, 07:36 AM
"First of One" <root@localhost> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> The Gainward 7800GS+ is essentially a 7900GT on AGP, so at best it will
> perform like a regular 7900GT.


Not quite true. The GS+ has 512MB and is substantially
more overclockable than the GS. On the PCIE side you
need to move to a GTX for comparable performance.

> The X1950 Pro AGP has been shown to perform
> almost identically to its PCIe counterpart. There are plenty of articles
> that include both the 7900GT and X1950 Pro PCIe, like this one:
> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2858&p=5 . It can be seen that
> the two chipsets offer very similar levels of performance.
>
> Note the Gainward 7800GS+ still carries an inflated pricetag.


See above. The proper comparison is with a GTX, and in
that case the price is only slightly inflated, if at all.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
waterblock for x1950 pro agp keithdisco ATI 4 05-02-2007 03:46 PM
PSU for X1950 Pro (AGP) Rand Al'Thor ATI 4 04-12-2007 02:07 AM
Sapphire x1950 pro ultimate & 512MB Kent Smith ATI 8 02-25-2007 08:41 PM
Upgrading to ATI X1950 Pro AGP - advice please safeer1982@gmail.com ATI 2 01-31-2007 04:37 AM
iiyama Vision Master Pro 514 (HM204DT) vs Mitsubishi Diamond Pro (2070SB-BK) Steve Rossiter Matrox 1 08-23-2003 12:19 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment