Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

News Flash! No More Windows Discs!

 
 
Daddy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2010, 02:19 AM
Attention All:

Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.

Not any more.

"Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery
disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery
media."

https://support.dell.com/support/top...942&l=en&s=dhs

Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.

And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm
negotiating with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this article
was first published.

Daddy
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hank Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2010, 09:42 AM
On 3/4/2010 9:19 PM, Daddy wrote:
> Attention All:
>
> Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
> disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
>
> Not any more.
>
> "Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
> box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
> disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery
> disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery
> media."
>
> https://support.dell.com/support/top...942&l=en&s=dhs
>
>
> Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
> piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.
>
> And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
> recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm
> negotiating with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this article
> was first published.
>
> Daddy


We just received 4 latitudes and 7 Towers last month and each came with
all the usual disks. I have a lot of copies of W7 32 bit & 64 bit now....

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Novicki
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2010, 01:36 PM

"Daddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hmppmt$oce$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Attention All:
>
> Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
> disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
>
> Not any more.
>
> "Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the box
> for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery disks in
> case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery disks,
> there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery media."
>
> https://support.dell.com/support/top...942&l=en&s=dhs
>
> Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
> piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.
>
> And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
> recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm negotiating
> with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this article was first
> published.
>
> Daddy


I have an order in production (from 2/28/10) for a Inspiron Zino HD with
Windows 7 Premium. I let the group know what I get when I receive it.

John

 
Reply With Quote
 
Daddy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Tom Scales wrote:
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Daddy [(E-Mail Removed)]
>> Posted At: Thursday, March 04, 2010 8:19 PM
>> Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
>> Conversation: News Flash! No More Windows Discs!
>> Subject: News Flash! No More Windows Discs!
>>
>> Attention All:
>>
>> Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows
>> install
>> disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
>>
>> Not any more.
>>
>> "Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
>> box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
>> disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the
>> recovery
>> disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system
>> recovery
>> media."
>>
>>

> https://support.dell.com/support/top...rt/dsn/documen
>> t?c=us&cs=19&docid=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E1294 2&l=en&s=dhs
>>
>> Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
>> piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.
>>
>> And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
>> recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm
>> negotiating with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this

> article
>> was first published.
>>
>> Daddy

>
>
> I've purchased three Dell laptops in the last three months from Best
> Buy, including one about 10 days ago.
>
> All came with full Windows CDs. Not sure about the link or what
> machines they're talking about.
>


Best Buy can make its own arrangements with Dell.

You bought a computer from Best Buy?

Daddy
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben Myers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2010, 03:00 PM
On 3/5/2010 9:43 AM, Daddy wrote:
> Tom Scales wrote:
>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Daddy [(E-Mail Removed)]
>>> Posted At: Thursday, March 04, 2010 8:19 PM
>>> Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
>>> Conversation: News Flash! No More Windows Discs!
>>> Subject: News Flash! No More Windows Discs!
>>>
>>> Attention All:
>>>
>>> Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows
>>> install
>>> disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
>>>
>>> Not any more.
>>>
>>> "Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
>>> box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
>>> disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the
>>> recovery
>>> disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system
>>> recovery
>>> media."
>>>
>>>

>> https://support.dell.com/support/top...rt/dsn/documen
>>> t?c=us&cs=19&docid=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E1294 2&l=en&s=dhs
>>>
>>> Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
>>> piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.
>>>
>>> And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
>>> recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm
>>> negotiating with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this

>> article
>>> was first published.
>>>
>>> Daddy

>>
>>
>> I've purchased three Dell laptops in the last three months from Best
>> Buy, including one about 10 days ago.
>>
>> All came with full Windows CDs. Not sure about the link or what
>> machines they're talking about.
>>

>
> Best Buy can make its own arrangements with Dell.
>
> You bought a computer from Best Buy?
>
> Daddy


What's wrong with buying computer gear from Best Buy, Staples, or even
WalMart? If you get exactly what you want and the price is right, you
buy it. For a while, I was buying Linksys WRT54G routers at Walmart for
less than I would pay my distributor for one, and for less than anywhere
else. Well over a year ago when prices were still pretty high, I bought
a pair of 8GB Cruzer flash sticks for $25 apiece at Staples. Long ago,
we entered the commodity age of computing for the most common items.
Make sure you read the warranties first, both mfr and store... Ben Myers


 
Reply With Quote
 
GTS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2010, 03:23 PM
"Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8227A99288C24A4D97A536E665702298@XPS13...
>
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Daddy [(E-Mail Removed)]
>> Posted At: Thursday, March 04, 2010 8:19 PM
>> Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
>> Conversation: News Flash! No More Windows Discs!
>> Subject: News Flash! No More Windows Discs!
>>
>> Attention All:
>>
>> Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows
>> install
>> disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
>>
>> Not any more.
>>
>> "Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
>> box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
>> disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the
>> recovery
>> disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system
>> recovery
>> media."
>>
>>

> https://support.dell.com/support/top...rt/dsn/documen
>> t?c=us&cs=19&docid=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E1294 2&l=en&s=dhs
>>
>> Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
>> piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.
>>
>> And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
>> recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm
>> negotiating with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this

> article
>> was first published.
>>
>> Daddy

>
>
> I've purchased three Dell laptops in the last three months from Best
> Buy, including one about 10 days ago.
>
> All came with full Windows CDs. Not sure about the link or what
> machines they're talking about.
>


I bought 2 Dell laptops in the last few months from Walmart and neither
included a Windows media.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Nick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2010, 03:59 PM

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 21:19:08 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Daddy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
>disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
>
>Not any more.
>
>"Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
>box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
>disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery
>disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery
>media."


I ordered my XPS 9000 about a month ago, and received it a couple of days
ago. It came with a Dell Win7 reinstallation DVD.

I was surprised that it didn't come with the usual discs with drivers,
utilities, etc.: just the Win7 disc.

What really annoyed me, though, is that the manual doesn't include the usual
instructions for opening the computer case, adding and removing components,
etc. Apparently you have to get that information from Dell's web site.
Which means that if you only own one computer, you might want to print out
the relevant part of the online manual before opening it up to do stuff
inside...

--
Nick <(E-Mail Removed)>

May you live in interesting times...
 
Reply With Quote
 
William R. Walsh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Hi!

> You bought a computer from Best Buy?


Ben said it very well. If you know exactly what you want (and maybe if
they've got a good deal going), and what you're getting, there's no
problem buying from there. And that includes computers.

Just ignore the 'Geek Squad', extended warranties (unless there is an
absolutely screaming good deal on one) and anything else, get what you
want and get out.

Best Buy and related stores do very well when you need something *now*
as well.

William
 
Reply With Quote
 
William R. Walsh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Hi!

Dell doesn't qualify whether that is true for only home store
purchases, business ones or even both. They do mention that media is
available, with a potential cost.

Going through the small business store (which I still advise) still
seems to imply (especially with regard to downgrade options) that you
will receive operating system installation media.

As much as I despise any so-called recovery setups, I'd gladly phone
them up and pay the extra cost. (What could it be, more than a few
bucks?)

William
 
Reply With Quote
 
Daddy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2010, 04:46 PM
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> You bought a computer from Best Buy?

>
> Ben said it very well. If you know exactly what you want (and maybe if
> they've got a good deal going), and what you're getting, there's no
> problem buying from there. And that includes computers.
>
> Just ignore the 'Geek Squad', extended warranties (unless there is an
> absolutely screaming good deal on one) and anything else, get what you
> want and get out.
>
> Best Buy and related stores do very well when you need something *now*
> as well.
>
> William


"You pays your money and you takes your choice."

Daddy
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Still more good news about the iMac HenryHenry Apple 0 12-02-2012 05:34 PM
Good News/Bad News Mountain Lion Installation Douglas C. Neidermeyer Apple 0 07-27-2012 12:49 PM
More Seagate Firmware News William R. Walsh Dell 13 01-30-2009 04:59 AM
Some more Itanium news YKhan Intel 0 01-29-2006 02:22 PM
Router Blocking Sites: Idiot Fixes! More News @ 11 John Steinberg Apple 12 10-26-2004 06:17 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment