Michelle Steiner

So what is the consensus for a newsreader to replace MTNW on Mavericks?
Thoth, Unison, Hogwasher, something else?

I'm trying Unison, and I'm not all that happy with it, but I guess that
I could learn to live with it. I've downloaded Thoth, but haven't
tried it yet; is it worth giving it a try?

-- Michelle

--
I'm a year older than I was exactly one year ago.

Lloyd

In article <l4jfnl$995$(E-Mail Removed)>, Michelle Steiner
<email@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So what is the consensus for a newsreader to replace MTNW on Mavericks?
> Thoth, Unison, Hogwasher, something else?
>
> I'm trying Unison, and I'm not all that happy with it, but I guess that
> I could learn to live with it. I've downloaded Thoth, but haven't
> tried it yet; is it worth giving it a try?
>
> -- Michelle

If you liked MTNW, you'll like Thoth because they are very similar.
The setup is a bit more convoluted but otherwise it is very much what
you are used to. I just paid for mine.

I did buy Unison, and it is very nice in many respects. I really can't
fault it for text groups, which is all I do. But in the end I'll
probably end up using Thoth.

--
Lloyd

Davoud

Michelle Steiner:
> So what is the consensus for a newsreader to replace MTNW on Mavericks?
> Thoth, Unison, Hogwasher, something else?

> I'm trying Unison, and I'm not all that happy with it, but I guess that
> I could learn to live with it. I've downloaded Thoth, but haven't
> tried it yet; is it worth giving it a try?

Thoth is a solid, reliable, plain-vanilla newsreader. It has served me
since, well, since I-don't-know-when. Version 1.9.0.22, which is
somewhere near the latest version, is going strong under Mavericks.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Lloyd

In article <271020131301063819%(E-Mail Removed)>, Davoud <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Michelle Steiner:
> > So what is the consensus for a newsreader to replace MTNW on Mavericks?
> > Thoth, Unison, Hogwasher, something else?

> > I'm trying Unison, and I'm not all that happy with it, but I guess that
> > I could learn to live with it. I've downloaded Thoth, but haven't
> > tried it yet; is it worth giving it a try?

> Thoth is a solid, reliable, plain-vanilla newsreader. It has served me
> since, well, since I-don't-know-when. Version 1.9.0.22, which is
> somewhere near the latest version, is going strong under Mavericks.

That is the current version, or at least the current released, non-beta
version.

Got it yesterday in 'trial' version, went through the god-awful
configuration and in the end it works wonderfully, just as it always
did.

So since I like to encourage software developers, I bought it just as I
did with Unison the day before yesterday.

Thoth is very MTNW like in many respects.

Unison is a slicker interface, more in line with other OSX apps.

Both are excellent!

--
Lloyd

Lloyd E Parsons

On 2013-10-27 17:36:30 +0000, Lloyd said:

> In article <271020131301063819%(E-Mail Removed)>, Davoud <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Michelle Steiner:
>>> So what is the consensus for a newsreader to replace MTNW on Mavericks?
>>> Thoth, Unison, Hogwasher, something else?

>>> I'm trying Unison, and I'm not all that happy with it, but I guess that
>>> I could learn to live with it. I've downloaded Thoth, but haven't
>>> tried it yet; is it worth giving it a try?

>> Thoth is a solid, reliable, plain-vanilla newsreader. It has served me
>> since, well, since I-don't-know-when. Version 1.9.0.22, which is
>> somewhere near the latest version, is going strong under Mavericks.

> That is the current version, or at least the current released, non-beta
> version.
>
> Got it yesterday in 'trial' version, went through the god-awful
> configuration and in the end it works wonderfully, just as it always
> did.
>
> So since I like to encourage software developers, I bought it just as I
> did with Unison the day before yesterday.
>
> Thoth is very MTNW like in many respects.
>
> Unison is a slicker interface, more in line with other OSX apps.
>
> Both are excellent!

Let me go on a bit.

Thoth, just like MTNW, breaks long links on other readers. Not a
problem if you are only in Mac newsgroups, but for others it is an
issue. Even Unison doesn't do that, but Unison definitely will see the
link as broken.

--
Lloyd

Jolly Roger

On 2013-10-27, Michelle Steiner <email@michelle> wrote:
> So what is the consensus for a newsreader to replace MTNW on Mavericks?
> Thoth, Unison, Hogwasher, something else?
>
> I'm trying Unison, and I'm not all that happy with it, but I guess that
> I could learn to live with it. I've downloaded Thoth, but haven't
> tried it yet; is it worth giving it a try?

I felt like Unison was lacking as well. Lots of folks here like MacSOUP.
Wasn't Thoth created with stolen code, or something to that effect?
There's no way in hell you could convince me to switch to a Windows news
client.

I'm loving slrn with vim as a replacement, so far. I'm very much a power
user though, and am very comfortable using command-line tools. But if
power features are what you appreciate, slrn is definitely worth a look,
IMO.

JR

Sn!pe

Lloyd E Parsons <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]

> Thoth, just like MTNW, breaks long links on other readers. Not a
> problem if you are only in Mac newsgroups, but for others it is an
> issue. Even Unison doesn't do that, but Unison definitely will see the
> link as broken.

MacSOUP no longer breaks URLs in the latest version 2.8.4* and
works well on Maverick. It is still actively maintained by the
author, Stefan Haller.

* the recent update

--
^^. Sn!pe <(E-Mail Removed)>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Lloyd E Parsons

On 2013-10-27 19:58:35 +0000, Sn!pe said:

> Lloyd E Parsons <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Thoth, just like MTNW, breaks long links on other readers. Not a
>> problem if you are only in Mac newsgroups, but for others it is an
>> issue. Even Unison doesn't do that, but Unison definitely will see the
>> link as broken.

> MacSOUP no longer breaks URLs in the latest version 2.8.4* and
> works well on Maverick. It is still actively maintained by the
> author, Stefan Haller.
>

> * the recent update

Good to know.

How does it handle the broken links from Thoth/MTNW? Unison seems to
handle them though it does show them as broken.

--
Lloyd

Sn!pe

Lloyd E Parsons <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2013-10-27 19:58:35 +0000, Sn!pe said:

[...]

> > MacSOUP no longer breaks URLs in the latest version 2.8.4* and
> > works well on Maverick. It is still actively maintained by the
> > author, Stefan Haller.
> >

> Good to know.
>
> How does it handle the broken links from Thoth/MTNW? Unison seems to
> handle them though it does show them as broken.

I can't honestly say that I've noticed, but then I'm quite used to
reassembling broken links simply by highlighting the whole link.
MacSOUP strips out the 'newline' characters nicely. Of course,
this doesn't work if there are '>' quote marks in the URL lines.

--
^^. Sn!pe <(E-Mail Removed)>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Lloyd E Parsons

On 2013-10-27 21:50:08 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

> On 2013-10-27, Michelle Steiner <email@michelle> wrote:
>> On 2013-10-27 19:57:23 +0000, Jolly Roger said:
>>
>>> Wasn't Thoth created with stolen code, or something to that effect?

>> Thoth's predecessor, a NewsWatcher varient, was based on NewsWatcher,
>> of course, and therefore was free. Thoth's developer says that he
>> didn't use any NW code in Thoth. Some (many?) dispute that.

> Yep. That's it. No thanks.
>
>>> I'm loving slrn with vim as a replacement, so far. I'm very much a power
>>> user though, and am very comfortable using command-line tools. But if
>>> power features are what you appreciate, slrn is definitely worth a look,
>>> IMO.

>> I'll stick with a GUI reader; if I wanted CLI, I'd have gone with Linux
>> or something.

> To each, his own, of course. : )
>
> Ultimately, I'd write a new Mac Usenet client and try to re-think the
> whole idea of a Usenet client while I'm at it. Until that day, I'm
> looking for whatever gets me by while meeting as many of my needs as
> possible. So far, slrn exceeds mtnw in terms of raw functionality, at
> the expense of ease of use. But since I'm already very familiar with
> command-line tools, that aspect doesn't bother me a whole lot. I usually
> have Terminal running anyway. Not a huge change for me.

Glad to hear you like it. I've been following the discussion about it
a bit as interesting. Personally I can't remember the last time I ran
a terminal session, and don't look forward to ever doing it again!

It is great that we have these choices! I encouraged both Unison's and
Thoth's developers by buying a copy of each. Not a big deal and I
spend more than that on smokes in a month!

--
Lloyd

Newsreaders David Fritzinger Apple 36 10-28-2013 03:31 PM
Re: iPhone newsreaders (was Re: Connect An iPod / iPhone To My Car Via USB) nospam Apple 0 08-22-2009 04:28 PM
Re: recommendations on newsreaders for leopard Nick Naym Apple 1 11-26-2008 03:31 PM
Mac newsreaders... barcaroller Apple 11 01-04-2008 09:07 PM
NewsReaders -- Which one is best? Earle Jones Apple 24 05-27-2007 10:23 PM