NF7-M Video Card

SL

I've got a NF7-M with a Athlon 2300 xp cpu that does about everything I need
so don't want to invest in a new mb. However, I'd like to play some of the
modern games. Two questions:
1) What is the fastest video card I can put into this machine before the
cpu becomes a bottleneck? I'm looking at GeFORCE 6800GT 256MB AGP, Radeon
X800 XT 256MB AGP, or RADEON X850 XT AGP.
2) What's the fast cpu I can put into this mb, and would it really make any
difference?

Thanks for any advise.

Scott

Dylan C

SL wrote:
> I've got a NF7-M with a Athlon 2300 xp cpu that does about everything I need
> so don't want to invest in a new mb. However, I'd like to play some of the
> modern games. Two questions:
> 1) What is the fastest video card I can put into this machine before the
> cpu becomes a bottleneck? I'm looking at GeFORCE 6800GT 256MB AGP, Radeon
> X800 XT 256MB AGP, or RADEON X850 XT AGP.
> 2) What's the fast cpu I can put into this mb, and would it really make any
> difference?
>
> Thanks for any advise.
>
> Scott

The fastest stock CPU would be right around an XP 3200+ (2.2GHz) going
for ~$80 in ebay. There are a few different mobile CPUs that will go up
to about 2.5GHz but they'll run $90-$100. Meanwhile a 939 3800+ costs
$110. probaly another $75 and you've got a decent board, too. I'm not
much on games or video cards, so I'll leave that alone.

bottom line: upgrade the whole platform

-dylan C

Wes Newell

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 01:42:03 +0000, SL wrote:

> I've got a NF7-M with a Athlon 2300 xp cpu that does about everything I need
> so don't want to invest in a new mb. However, I'd like to play some of the
> modern games. Two questions:
> 1) What is the fastest video card I can put into this machine before the
> cpu becomes a bottleneck? I'm looking at GeFORCE 6800GT 256MB AGP, Radeon
> X800 XT 256MB AGP, or RADEON X850 XT AGP.
> 2) What's the fast cpu I can put into this mb, and would it really make any
> difference?

Don't waste any more money on this MB/CPU. Overclock the one you have. If
it's a B core (CPUID 681), it should clock up to about 2400MHz by raising
vcore and rasing the FSB.

Zadok

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 01:42:03 GMT, "SL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've got a NF7-M with a Athlon 2300 xp cpu that does about everything I need
>so don't want to invest in a new mb. However, I'd like to play some of the
>modern games. Two questions:
>1) What is the fastest video card I can put into this machine before the
>cpu becomes a bottleneck? I'm looking at GeFORCE 6800GT 256MB AGP, Radeon
>X800 XT 256MB AGP, or RADEON X850 XT AGP.
>2) What's the fast cpu I can put into this mb, and would it really make any
>difference?
>
>Thanks for any advise.
>
>Scott

Bottleneck with that CPU is a given. I like Nvidia so the 6800 would
be my choice. XP3200+ is the fastest for your MOBO. Be sure you have 1
gb ram at least. I have the NF7s and put a 7800 GS in mine with an
XP3000+. Right now I'm playing Warhammer4000DOW & WA with everything
on high perfectly. It gags on Oblivion.

In hindsight I should have spent less on the videocard but as is I'm
going to wait at least 6-8 months for a new system. The XP3200+ goes
for $130-150 but the 3000+ can be had cheaper as it's less desireable.
> I'd like to play some of the modern games

It all depends on the game. After Christmas $1500 will get you a very
nice system with PCIe e6600 2 gb ram and a nice case. My spare system
was very similar to yours and I just sold it to a friend for $200.
Save your money.

-- Zadok

Dave Garrett

In article <tPHUg.19948$Oh3.7401@trnddc04>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 01:42:03 +0000, SL wrote:
>
> > I've got a NF7-M with a Athlon 2300 xp cpu that does about everything I need
> > so don't want to invest in a new mb. However, I'd like to play some of the
> > modern games. Two questions:
> > 1) What is the fastest video card I can put into this machine before the
> > cpu becomes a bottleneck? I'm looking at GeFORCE 6800GT 256MB AGP, Radeon
> > X800 XT 256MB AGP, or RADEON X850 XT AGP.
> > 2) What's the fast cpu I can put into this mb, and would it really make any
> > difference?
> >

> Don't waste any more money on this MB/CPU. Overclock the one you have. If
> it's a B core (CPUID 681), it should clock up to about 2400MHz by raising
> vcore and rasing the FSB.

I have the same mobo, but I'm running an XP 1700 instead of a 2300, and
I'm not a gamer, so I'm not really too interested in upgrading the video
card I have. I have 1GB of RAM installed. Would your answer still be the
same for my scenario, or is it worth considering replacement of the 1700
with a 3200 (or something else in between)?

Dave

Wes Newell

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 12:41:49 -0500, Dave Garrett wrote:

> In article <tPHUg.19948$Oh3.7401@trnddc04>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>
>> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 01:42:03 +0000, SL wrote:
>>
>> > I've got a NF7-M with a Athlon 2300 xp cpu that does about everything I need
>> > so don't want to invest in a new mb. However, I'd like to play some of the
>> > modern games. Two questions:
>> > 1) What is the fastest video card I can put into this machine before the
>> > cpu becomes a bottleneck? I'm looking at GeFORCE 6800GT 256MB AGP, Radeon
>> > X800 XT 256MB AGP, or RADEON X850 XT AGP.
>> > 2) What's the fast cpu I can put into this mb, and would it really make any
>> > difference?
>> >

>> Don't waste any more money on this MB/CPU. Overclock the one you have. If
>> it's a B core (CPUID 681), it should clock up to about 2400MHz by raising
>> vcore and rasing the FSB.

> I have the same mobo, but I'm running an XP 1700 instead of a 2300, and
> I'm not a gamer, so I'm not really too interested in upgrading the video
> card I have. I have 1GB of RAM installed. Would your answer still be the
> same for my scenario, or is it worth considering replacement of the 1700
> with a 3200 (or something else in between)?

If it's a Tbred B core, then the same applies. If it's a Palomino or tbred
A core, then you can probably get about 1800MHz out of it. BTW, a
3200+/400 won't work at full speed in that board unless the FSB rated at
166MHz will overclock to 200MHz (400FSB). Besides a new AM2 MB and Sempron
3000+ would be faster and cost less than the XP CPU alone. If you want to
replace the CPU, a cheap alternative would be a Duron 1600 with 12x
multiplier for $25 at Newegg. Just set the FSB to 166Mhz and raise vcore
to 1.65v and it'll run a 2.0GHz There's lots of options, but I sure
wouldn't spend more than $40 for a new CPU.