NF7-S2G won't boot - sits at BIOS screen

Daniel DeGroff

I'm leaning towards a bad mobo ... but I thought I would see if anyone
has seen this before...

I have:

Abit NF7-S2G
ATI Radeon VE/7000 64MB DDR AGP
AMD Sempron 2800+
x2 512 MB DDR 400

And when I turn on the system, the LED's on the MB turn
on to indicate the power is applied, and on... that seems good.

And the default setting for the CMOS Clear jumper was contrary
to what the manual said was the clear position.
In other words, the setting that the jumper came in indicated
it was in the clear position, but when I put it in the 'normal'
position(according to the manual) I don't get any video at all.

But when in the default position, the video comes and and it
has an Abit screen, and says press 'del' to enter BIOS and
'tab' to see POST screen. Seems normal, but it doesn't leave that
screen.

I can't press 'del' or 'tab' the keyboard doesn't seem to register.
The keyboard is good, it works on my other system, and I have tried
other keyboards as well.

I can't really attribute this to anything other than a bad mobo...
But I have never really seen symptoms such as this with a new system...

I have:
pulled the memory, and the system correctly beeps out POST codes..
pulled the AGP video and the system correctly beeps out POST codes..

I'm not sure what to do other than RMA the board...

Any ideas? or suggestions?

I just saw a suggestion on a similiar problem about maybe an incompat.
cpu? I will check abit's site to see if I can find out if the 2800
should work or not..

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Daniel

Daniel DeGroff

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread...hlight=sempron

Looks like I need new BIOS to support sempron.

Daniel DeGroff wrote:
> I'm leaning towards a bad mobo ... but I thought I would see if anyone
> has seen this before...
>

> I have:
>
> Abit NF7-S2G
> ATI Radeon VE/7000 64MB DDR AGP
> AMD Sempron 2800+
> x2 512 MB DDR 400
>
> And when I turn on the system, the LED's on the MB turn
> on to indicate the power is applied, and on... that seems good.
>
> And the default setting for the CMOS Clear jumper was contrary
> to what the manual said was the clear position.
> In other words, the setting that the jumper came in indicated
> it was in the clear position, but when I put it in the 'normal'
> position(according to the manual) I don't get any video at all.
>
> But when in the default position, the video comes and and it
> has an Abit screen, and says press 'del' to enter BIOS and
> 'tab' to see POST screen. Seems normal, but it doesn't leave that
> screen.
>
> I can't press 'del' or 'tab' the keyboard doesn't seem to register.
> The keyboard is good, it works on my other system, and I have tried
> other keyboards as well.
>
> I can't really attribute this to anything other than a bad mobo...
> But I have never really seen symptoms such as this with a new system...
>

> I have:
> pulled the memory, and the system correctly beeps out POST codes..
> pulled the AGP video and the system correctly beeps out POST codes..
>
> I'm not sure what to do other than RMA the board...
>
> Any ideas? or suggestions?
>
> I just saw a suggestion on a similiar problem about maybe an incompat.
> cpu? I will check abit's site to see if I can find out if the 2800
> should work or not..
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
> Daniel

Daniel DeGroff

www.excaliberpc.com sells the chip for this board

It is $15.99 plus s/h

http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_i...oducts_id=3883

Also, an FYI for this mobo .. the doc is incorrect about the
clear CMOS jumper, the rightmost two pins are the normal position
not the leftmost.