NF7 v2.0: S. Bridge heatsink?

pigdos

I remember reading somewhere that the S. Bridge on the NF7s v2.0 runs very
hot, but I have a plain-jane NF7. Should I put a heatsink on the S. Bridge
of my NF7? Or is it just a waste of time?

--
Doug

Dylan C

pigdos wrote:
> I remember reading somewhere that the S. Bridge on the NF7s v2.0 runs very
> hot, but I have a plain-jane NF7. Should I put a heatsink on the S. Bridge
> of my NF7? Or is it just a waste of time?

if it needed one, it would've come with one.

-Dylan C

pigdos

Dylan, it's a well-known fact the S. Bridge on Nf7s v2.0 motherboards gets
very hot:

"The south bridge MCP-T chip in these nForce2 boards does indeed run VERY
hot! I have measured temps at the surface of the chip in the realm of
60-65C. I would recommend that ANYONE running a mobo with the nForce2
chipset, ESPECIALLY if it is running the MCP-T south bridge, put a heat sink
on that puppy. It is also worth investing in a decent cooler for the North
bridge if you are running an Abit board (may apply to others, also) as the
stock cooler supplied by Abit is barely adequate at stock speeds."

source:
http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/amd-m...idge-heat.html

I'm just curious if the plain-jane NF7 has the same problem...

--
Doug
"Dylan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> pigdos wrote:
>> I remember reading somewhere that the S. Bridge on the NF7s v2.0 runs
>> very hot, but I have a plain-jane NF7. Should I put a heatsink on the S.
>> Bridge of my NF7? Or is it just a waste of time?
>>

> if it needed one, it would've come with one.
>
> -Dylan C

Dylan C

pigdos wrote:
> Dylan, it's a well-known fact the S. Bridge on Nf7s v2.0 motherboards gets
> very hot:
>
> "The south bridge MCP-T chip in these nForce2 boards does indeed run VERY
> hot! I have measured temps at the surface of the chip in the realm of
> 60-65C. I would recommend that ANYONE running a mobo with the nForce2
> chipset, ESPECIALLY if it is running the MCP-T south bridge, put a heat sink
> on that puppy. It is also worth investing in a decent cooler for the North
> bridge if you are running an Abit board (may apply to others, also) as the
> stock cooler supplied by Abit is barely adequate at stock speeds."
>
> source:
> http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/amd-m...idge-heat.html
>
> I'm just curious if the plain-jane NF7 has the same problem...

It sounds like you've already decided. A heatsink won't cost that much
and if it will give you a little peace of mind, its probably worth it.
And it can't hurt, right? I would just be suprised if it actually
needed one and abit overlooked it.

I've never dealt with the version 2 boards, just a vanilla NF7 v1, but I
never noticed any problems with it.

-Dylan C