NF7S: must use reset switch to boot.

Larry Gagnon

I have an NF7S M/B with an Antec SmartBlue 350W PS, Antec Lanboy case,
XP2500 overclocked, MS wireless KB and mouse.

The system all works fine except for the fact that when I hit the case
"power on" switch the system fans start up, the MB green LED lights up,
the CDROM drive starts, but the system will not actually boot until I
hit the reset switch.

Sometimes, if the system has been turned off recently it will boot up
properly with just the power on switch. Also, if I turn off and then on
again the main PS switch at rear of the case the power on switch works
fine and the computer boots up without having hit the reset switch.
However, in most situations I have to hit reset to get a boot.

I have substituted a brand new power supply, assuming that the problem
was a bad power_on signal to the PS, but this made no difference. I
have also checked the case power on and reset switches and their
wiring: they are OK. While talking to Antec about the problem they
suggested it was a motherboard or BIOS concern. I have tried some
different ACPI settings in BIOS: this also had no effect.

Has anyone out their had a similar problem or any ideas on where to
start looking to fix this problem? I don't want to rip apart the whole
computer and return this 2 month old motherboard unless necessary!

Larry Gagnon

********************************
to send direct email remove "fake"

BTNewsGroups

"Larry Gagnon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an NF7S M/B with an Antec SmartBlue 350W PS, Antec Lanboy case,
> XP2500 overclocked, MS wireless KB and mouse.
>
> The system all works fine except for the fact that when I hit the case
> "power on" switch the system fans start up, the MB green LED lights up,
> the CDROM drive starts, but the system will not actually boot until I
> hit the reset switch.

Same problem here with an Asus A7N8X and an *Antec PS*, could this be an
Antec problem? Also on mine this seems to be temperature related, if the
room temp. is below 18 C. I have the problem, above that it's generally OK.

Regards
Martin

PRIVATE1964

I had a problem almost like yours with a BH6. I would hit power, it would
get to the windows loading screen and then lockup. If I hit reset it would
start Windows with no problem. If I shut it off and turned it back on again
right away it would start with no problems. If I kept it off for a while it
wouldn't start again until hitting reset. I also found that if the keyboard
wasn't plugged in it would start fine. Nothing wrong with the keyboard. I also
tried a new keyboard same problem. Unplug it before hitting power and no
problems at all. Really really strange.

Here's a few things I can think of.

1) Test the power on switch. Unplug the power switch. Try shorting the 2 pins
with a screw driver. Just touch the pins then pull the screwdriver away. The
system should start.

2) Could be a power supply issue. Turning the system on capacitors charge in
the supply for DC. Maybe faulty capacitors not charging quick enough like they
should until hitting reset now the have enough of a charge. Turning the system
off capacitors will slowly lose their charge.

3) Could be a short to ground somewhere in the case.

4) Try starting the system with nothing plugged in such as Keyboard and or
Mouse.

Claudio

Hi:

I use to have a problem like this, I fix it changing the ps.

Claudio Leiva
Las Vegas, Nevada
USA
http://www.4x4.dynu.com/claudio

"Larry Gagnon" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an NF7S M/B with an Antec SmartBlue 350W PS, Antec Lanboy case,
> XP2500 overclocked, MS wireless KB and mouse.
>
> The system all works fine except for the fact that when I hit the case
> "power on" switch the system fans start up, the MB green LED lights up,
> the CDROM drive starts, but the system will not actually boot until I
> hit the reset switch.
>
> Sometimes, if the system has been turned off recently it will boot up
> properly with just the power on switch. Also, if I turn off and then on
> again the main PS switch at rear of the case the power on switch works
> fine and the computer boots up without having hit the reset switch.
> However, in most situations I have to hit reset to get a boot.
>
> I have substituted a brand new power supply, assuming that the problem
> was a bad power_on signal to the PS, but this made no difference. I
> have also checked the case power on and reset switches and their
> wiring: they are OK. While talking to Antec about the problem they
> suggested it was a motherboard or BIOS concern. I have tried some
> different ACPI settings in BIOS: this also had no effect.
>
> Has anyone out their had a similar problem or any ideas on where to
> start looking to fix this problem? I don't want to rip apart the whole
> computer and return this 2 month old motherboard unless necessary!
>
> Larry Gagnon
>
> ********************************
> to send direct email remove "fake"

- HAL9000

Normally the motherboard is supposed to hold the 'reset' line active
until the power is good from the power supply. Try (1) holding down
the reset button, (2) hitting the power button, (3) releasing the
reset button.

If this works then it appears as though the motherboard is not doing
what it is supposed to be doing - holding the reset active until power
is good. In this case think harder about ripping everything apart...
:-(

If it doesn't work then you need to take closer examination to
everything in the computer. Perhaps a card is forcing the reset line
in the inactive state during boot - thus the problem.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:56:46 -0800, Larry Gagnon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an NF7S M/B with an Antec SmartBlue 350W PS, Antec Lanboy case,
>XP2500 overclocked, MS wireless KB and mouse.
>
>The system all works fine except for the fact that when I hit the case
>"power on" switch the system fans start up, the MB green LED lights up,
>the CDROM drive starts, but the system will not actually boot until I
>hit the reset switch.
>
>Sometimes, if the system has been turned off recently it will boot up
>properly with just the power on switch. Also, if I turn off and then on
>again the main PS switch at rear of the case the power on switch works
>fine and the computer boots up without having hit the reset switch.
>However, in most situations I have to hit reset to get a boot.
>
>I have substituted a brand new power supply, assuming that the problem
>was a bad power_on signal to the PS, but this made no difference. I
>have also checked the case power on and reset switches and their
>wiring: they are OK. While talking to Antec about the problem they
>suggested it was a motherboard or BIOS concern. I have tried some
>different ACPI settings in BIOS: this also had no effect.
>
>Has anyone out their had a similar problem or any ideas on where to
>start looking to fix this problem? I don't want to rip apart the whole
>computer and return this 2 month old motherboard unless necessary!
>
>Larry Gagnon
>
>********************************
>to send direct email remove "fake"

GTD

.. I also found that if the keyboard
>wasn't plugged in it would start fine. Nothing wrong with the keyboard. I also
>tried a new keyboard same problem. Unplug it before hitting power and no
>problems at all. Really really strange.

Just a thought here, but there's a way to change what power the
keyboard and mouse use on the NF7. I'm not sure how to change it, but
I believe it is an undocumented jumper (not sure where though). I
remember someone talking about it, because changing it makes the light
in an optical mouse go OFF when the system is shut down, but then you
lose the ability to powerup by mouse or keyboard. I'm not sure if this
was only PS2 devices, USB, or both, but it seems like it would be
worth it to give a try since the keyboard may be somehow related.
Perhaps someone that knows exactly what setting / jumper does this can
elaborate.

You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
that will make things a lot smoother.
-Felatio Love

Y-Grl

"PRIVATE1964" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I had a problem almost like yours with a BH6. I would hit power, it

would
> get to the windows loading screen and then lockup. If I hit reset it would
> start Windows with no problem. If I shut it off and turned it back on

again
> right away it would start with no problems. If I kept it off for a while

it
> wouldn't start again until hitting reset.

I had a similar problem with a BE6 and the nearest I could figure in my as
was a conflict between an S3 Savage3D AGP card and a Voodoo2. Pretty sure it
was when loading drivers, but never got it sorted properly.

PRIVATE1964

>"PRIVATE1964" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I had a problem almost like yours with a BH6. I would hit power, it

>would
>> get to the windows loading screen and then lockup. If I hit reset it would
>> start Windows with no problem. If I shut it off and turned it back on

>again
>> right away it would start with no problems. If I kept it off for a while

>it
>> wouldn't start again until hitting reset.

My problem happened with different BH6's because I had to send one back because
of a bios misflash. They sent me back a different board but the same problem. I
told their tech support the problem and they didn't have a clue what could be
causing it.