No beep from bios

Simon Woods

Hi

I think my mobo's gone but I wonder if I've missed anything.

I switch on and nothing happens. No disk activity (it may be spinning but
there is no head movement sounds -when there used to be), no video. Just the
fans working on the processor and graphics card.

I've removed all expansion slots and am trying to use the on-board graphics.
The graphics card in the expansion slot didn't produce anything.

I've removed the bios battery to try and reset it, but as the subject line
says, there's no beeping at all at startup.

There's just no life. I've also tried re-attaching the power to the mobo
and re-attaching to the power and data to the HDD.

I've proved the monitor with a laptop.

It's about 4 years old now and been on many hours everyday just about each
day of the week - so it's done well.

Are there any other things I should be doing?

Thanks

Simon

Chris Hill

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:12:08 GMT, "Simon Woods"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I think my mobo's gone but I wonder if I've missed anything.
>
>I switch on and nothing happens. No disk activity (it may be spinning but
>there is no head movement sounds -when there used to be), no video. Just the
>fans working on the processor and graphics card.
>
>I've removed all expansion slots and am trying to use the on-board graphics.
>The graphics card in the expansion slot didn't produce anything.
>
>I've removed the bios battery to try and reset it, but as the subject line
>says, there's no beeping at all at startup.
>
>There's just no life. I've also tried re-attaching the power to the mobo
>and re-attaching to the power and data to the HDD.
>
>I've proved the monitor with a laptop.
>
>It's about 4 years old now and been on many hours everyday just about each
>day of the week - so it's done well.
>
>Are there any other things I should be doing?

Examine the board. Look for the little round cans. If the tops bulge
or liquid is leaking, your caps are bad, which for most of us means
toss the board. If they are okay, I'd consider trying a different
power supply, just because the fans spin does not mean that the power
supply is working correctly.

Arno Wagner

Previously Simon Woods <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi

> I think my mobo's gone but I wonder if I've missed anything.

> I switch on and nothing happens. No disk activity (it may be spinning but
> there is no head movement sounds -when there used to be), no video. Just the
> fans working on the processor and graphics card.

> I've removed all expansion slots and am trying to use the on-board graphics.
> The graphics card in the expansion slot didn't produce anything.

> I've removed the bios battery to try and reset it, but as the subject line
> says, there's no beeping at all at startup.

> There's just no life. I've also tried re-attaching the power to the mobo
> and re-attaching to the power and data to the HDD.

> I've proved the monitor with a laptop.

> It's about 4 years old now and been on many hours everyday just about each
> day of the week - so it's done well.

> Are there any other things I should be doing?

Check the PSU. It may not deliver all voltages or have serious
undervolgae on some outputs.

Arno

Simon Woods

Thanks Chris and Arno

gfretwell@aol.com

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:59:02 GMT, "Simon Woods"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks Chris and Arno

The other thing that can do this is a bad memory stick.
Other than that the only other FRU is the CPU.

Simon Woods

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:59:02 GMT, "Simon Woods"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> Thanks Chris and Arno
>>

> The other thing that can do this is a bad memory stick.
> Other than that the only other FRU is the CPU.

Thanks ... just tested the psu and all the voltages look good.

I had a play with the memory. There are 2 mem modules, I tried each of these
in different slots. I don't think it needs paired memory as there are only 3
slots (probably not the best indicator!).

So it looks like it's had it!

Thank you, again

Simon

M.I.5

"Simon Woods" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YETai.650$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I think my mobo's gone but I wonder if I've missed anything.
>
> I switch on and nothing happens. No disk activity (it may be spinning but
> there is no head movement sounds -when there used to be), no video. Just
> the fans working on the processor and graphics card.
>
> I've removed all expansion slots and am trying to use the on-board
> graphics. The graphics card in the expansion slot didn't produce anything.
>
> I've removed the bios battery to try and reset it, but as the subject line
> says, there's no beeping at all at startup.
>
> There's just no life. I've also tried re-attaching the power to the mobo
> and re-attaching to the power and data to the HDD.
>
> I've proved the monitor with a laptop.
>
> It's about 4 years old now and been on many hours everyday just about each
> day of the week - so it's done well.
>
> Are there any other things I should be doing?

Listen to that disk drive again. When power is applied, you should hear
some activity as the drive reads its own operating system from the disk (oh
yes - really). If not, it sounds like one of the supply rails is missing.

Joey

I have a similar problem with my PC which I am also keen to resolve. In my
case, the PC hangs during the BIOS POST, but if I leave it for a couple of
minutes, then power off an on again, it boots up OK. You might try that, if
you haven't already done so. I've also tried reseating all PCI cards and
RAM, checking connectors, swapping IDE cables, pushing the odd chip or two,
all to no avail.

I might buy a disk controller card and see if that helps. If I do find an
answer, I'll report back and would be obliged if you would do likewise.

Pete K

MSI Mega 651 - Not booting - Long beep (pause) long beep njohn MSI 2 11-21-2007 05:54 PM
IBM Thinkpad T40 beep with 3 keys pressed simultaneously [keyboard beep key] Haris Laptops 3 03-07-2004 12:05 PM
A7V133-VM + PCI video = BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP? Lost Asus 2 11-13-2003 05:33 AM
BEEP BEEP Apoc Asus 5 10-27-2003 09:22 PM
BE7 - beep , beep beep zero Abit 9 10-07-2003 04:36 PM