No XEON Chips Available for RMA?

egon.phillips

Hi,

Intel has accepted responsibility for requesting that I perform tests
resulting in the damage of two processors. We are now negotiating a
replacement. I've discussed this problem with the following Intel
representatives:

Intel Technical Support Jason Grant, 800.intel.tech.support
Intel Technical Support John Sulek, 503.264.5115
Intel Sales and Marketing Sue Cola, 408.653.9537, 408.765.9197

I've requested that intel replace two processors with Xeon 533 MHZ,
3.0 Gig. The Intel Technical Support representatives say they can't
give me these processors because of an Intel cashflow/supply problem
related to the Xeon processors. This sounds ridiculous, although
Intel has had problems with CPU supplies in the past? Does anyone
know if there is any truth to this?

spinlock

You are right about one thing: "This sounds ridiculous"!

"egon.phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> Intel has accepted responsibility for requesting that I perform tests
> resulting in the damage of two processors. We are now negotiating a
> replacement. I've discussed this problem with the following Intel
> representatives:
>
> Intel Technical Support Jason Grant, 800.intel.tech.support
> Intel Technical Support John Sulek, 503.264.5115
> Intel Sales and Marketing Sue Cola, 408.653.9537, 408.765.9197
>
> I've requested that intel replace two processors with Xeon 533 MHZ,
> 3.0 Gig. The Intel Technical Support representatives say they can't
> give me these processors because of an Intel cashflow/supply problem
> related to the Xeon processors. This sounds ridiculous, although
> Intel has had problems with CPU supplies in the past? Does anyone
> know if there is any truth to this?

egon.phillips

Yeah, I was wondering if these people even worked for Intel?
Have you heard anything about a supply problem with 533MHz Xeon Processors?

"spinlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> You are right about one thing: "This sounds ridiculous"!
>
> "egon.phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Intel has accepted responsibility for requesting that I perform tests
> > resulting in the damage of two processors. We are now negotiating a
> > replacement. I've discussed this problem with the following Intel
> > representatives:
> >
> > Intel Technical Support Jason Grant, 800.intel.tech.support
> > Intel Technical Support John Sulek, 503.264.5115
> > Intel Sales and Marketing Sue Cola, 408.653.9537, 408.765.9197
> >
> > I've requested that intel replace two processors with Xeon 533 MHZ,
> > 3.0 Gig. The Intel Technical Support representatives say they can't
> > give me these processors because of an Intel cashflow/supply problem
> > related to the Xeon processors. This sounds ridiculous, although
> > Intel has had problems with CPU supplies in the past? Does anyone
> > know if there is any truth to this?

Franc Zabkar

On 25 May 2004 09:16:49 -0700, (E-Mail Removed)
(egon.phillips) put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Intel has accepted responsibility for requesting that I perform tests
>resulting in the damage of two processors.

I'm curious. What kind of test can damage a CPU?

- Franc Zabkar

Chuck Tribolet

What were the damaged processors?

--
Chuck Tribolet
(E-Mail Removed)

"egon.phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> Intel has accepted responsibility for requesting that I perform tests
> resulting in the damage of two processors. We are now negotiating a
> replacement. I've discussed this problem with the following Intel
> representatives:
>
> Intel Technical Support Jason Grant, 800.intel.tech.support
> Intel Technical Support John Sulek, 503.264.5115
> Intel Sales and Marketing Sue Cola, 408.653.9537, 408.765.9197
>
> I've requested that intel replace two processors with Xeon 533 MHZ,
> 3.0 Gig. The Intel Technical Support representatives say they can't
> give me these processors because of an Intel cashflow/supply problem
> related to the Xeon processors. This sounds ridiculous, although
> Intel has had problems with CPU supplies in the past? Does anyone
> know if there is any truth to this?

John McGaw

"Franc Zabkar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 25 May 2004 09:16:49 -0700, (E-Mail Removed)
> (egon.phillips) put finger to keyboard and composed:
>
> >Intel has accepted responsibility for requesting that I perform tests
> >resulting in the damage of two processors.

> I'm curious. What kind of test can damage a CPU?
>

> - Franc Zabkar
> --
> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.

I might be the "drill a 10mm hole in the lid to see if there is really
anything inside test". Or possibly the "heat chip using the oxy-acetylene
torch to see what happens test".
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

egon.phillips

The kind that requires you to remove the CPU from a desktop
replacement laptop without the proper tools. And install the new CPU
without the proper tools. All of this after you've already tested the
original motherboard by inserting a working CPU, veryfying that the
motherboard works. And, already tested the non-working CPU in working
motherboard.

Franc Zabkar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On 25 May 2004 09:16:49 -0700, (E-Mail Removed)
> (egon.phillips) put finger to keyboard and composed:
>
> >Intel has accepted responsibility for requesting that I perform tests
> >resulting in the damage of two processors.

> I'm curious. What kind of test can damage a CPU?
>

> - Franc Zabkar

spinlock

Did you say "laptop"? A Xeon laptop?

Was it a dual or quad Xeon laptop? LOL

egon, you should cut back on the street drugs
or increase the drugs prescribed by your shrink.

"egon.phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> The kind that requires you to remove the CPU from a desktop
> replacement laptop without the proper tools. And install the new CPU
> without the proper tools. All of this after you've already tested the
> original motherboard by inserting a working CPU, veryfying that the
> motherboard works. And, already tested the non-working CPU in working
> motherboard.
>

> Franc Zabkar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> > On 25 May 2004 09:16:49 -0700, (E-Mail Removed)
> > (egon.phillips) put finger to keyboard and composed:
> >
> > >Intel has accepted responsibility for requesting that I perform tests
> > >resulting in the damage of two processors.

> > I'm curious. What kind of test can damage a CPU?
> >

> > - Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On 26 May 2004 09:46:38 -0700, (E-Mail Removed)
(egon.phillips) put finger to keyboard and composed:

>The kind that requires you to remove the CPU from a desktop
>replacement laptop without the proper tools. And install the new CPU
>without the proper tools. All of this after you've already tested the
>original motherboard by inserting a working CPU, veryfying that the
>motherboard works. And, already tested the non-working CPU in working
>motherboard.

So the CPU is physically broken as a result of your mishandling? Well
that would explain Intel's attitude. Can't say I blame them ...

>Franc Zabkar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> On 25 May 2004 09:16:49 -0700, (E-Mail Removed)
>> (egon.phillips) put finger to keyboard and composed:
>>
>> >Intel has accepted responsibility for requesting that I perform tests
>> >resulting in the damage of two processors.

>> I'm curious. What kind of test can damage a CPU?
>>

>> - Franc Zabkar

- Franc Zabkar

egon.phillips

I didn't say the laptop was a xeon, nor did I say it had two
processors.

These days Intel is billing xeon as a server/workstation processor.
Given that desktop replacements are usually workstation replacements,
I wouldn't be supprised to find a xeon in a laptop. I've seen
desktop/workstation CPUs in laptops since the mid 90's. Here's an
example:

http://www.sunhelp.org/archives/2003...indows-laptop/

Back in the day, several desktop replacement manufacturers extracted
the PII SEC and SEC2 CPU's and use a zif socket without the latch.