Non-marring tool for opening/repairing laptop

mACKnIFE

Hi,

In Dell documentation they refer to a "nonmarring plastic scribe" to
pry up some plastic covers or parts in a laptop. I've searched for
that tool on the internet but I can't find it. At some newsgroups I
saw that some people refer to this tool as a "wedge".

I'd like to know if anybody knows where to buy that tool?

It looks like a flathead screwdriver but instead of being made of
steel, it's made of plastic. That way it doesn't hurt the plastic
parts of the laptop.

Thanks!

Michael Geary

> In Dell documentation they refer to a "nonmarring plastic
> scribe" to pry up some plastic covers or parts in a laptop.
> I've searched for that tool on the internet but I can't find it.
> At some newsgroups I saw that some people refer to this
> tool as a "wedge".
>
> I'd like to know if anybody knows where to buy that tool?
>
> It looks like a flathead screwdriver but instead of being
> made of steel, it's made of plastic. That way it doesn't
> hurt the plastic parts of the laptop.

Depending on the piece you are removing, you might try the toothpick from a
Swiss Army knife. It has a flat point that slides under plastic covers
nicely, and it's a soft plastic that is unlikely to damage anything. It
doesn't have much strength and won't pry up a cover that is more securely
attached, but it works well for a lot of things.

You may already have one of these, or any store that sells Swiss Army knives
will have them as replacement parts.

-Mike

bobchang

Them good old finger nails are probably just as good when you're trying to
part those plastic panels held together by numerous snaps - such panels
are most commonly found surrounding the LCD display - and yes, a toothpick
would be helpful to keep the already parted snaps from snapping close.

If you're using tools, please note that even plastic tools can cause
scratch marks or dent/pry marks (plastic versus plastic is an even fight).

Lawrence Glasser

mACKnIFE wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In Dell documentation they refer to a "nonmarring plastic scribe" to
> pry up some plastic covers or parts in a laptop. I've searched for
> that tool on the internet but I can't find it. At some newsgroups I
> saw that some people refer to this tool as a "wedge".
>
> I'd like to know if anybody knows where to buy that tool?
>
> It looks like a flathead screwdriver but instead of being made of
> steel, it's made of plastic. That way it doesn't hurt the plastic
> parts of the laptop.

You might try a plastic putty knife.

Larry

David Lee

Try using the clip on the cap of a basic cheapo Bic ballpoint pen - trim it
to size if necessary.

David

"mACKnIFE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> In Dell documentation they refer to a "nonmarring plastic scribe" to
> pry up some plastic covers or parts in a laptop. I've searched for
> that tool on the internet but I can't find it. At some newsgroups I
> saw that some people refer to this tool as a "wedge".
>
> I'd like to know if anybody knows where to buy that tool?
>
> It looks like a flathead screwdriver but instead of being made of
> steel, it's made of plastic. That way it doesn't hurt the plastic
> parts of the laptop.
>
> Thanks!

bobchang

That's the best idea I've heard so far...

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

> In Dell documentation they refer to a "nonmarring plastic scribe" to
> pry up some plastic covers or parts in a laptop. I've searched for

A set of coil tuning tools will include one device like this - a
plastic screwdriver. Usually one end is a hex driver and the other is
a flathead screwdriver, for adjusting inductors.

mACKnIFE

Hehehe!

This is funny! You guys are very resourceful! And I thought I was the
only one in the boat with this one, not finding where to buy that damn
plastic screwdriver! :-)

Thanks guys!

(E-Mail Removed) (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > In Dell documentation they refer to a "nonmarring plastic scribe" to
> > pry up some plastic covers or parts in a laptop. I've searched for

> A set of coil tuning tools will include one device like this - a
> plastic screwdriver. Usually one end is a hex driver and the other is
> a flathead screwdriver, for adjusting inductors.

charlescott

I encountered the same problem taking my Dell Inspiron XPS apart to
replace a defective video card and found the perfect solution at
www.specialized.net . If you look under "Hand Tools" and
then under "Adjusting Tools", you'll find a five piece alignment
toolkit (stock#054X700) for $6.50 and a GC Thorsen, alignment tool
(stock#318X805) for $1.25. Shipping is about $10 so you might as
well buy both as I did. So for a little under $18 you'll have a very
handy set of tools for working on your laptop without scratching it
up. They've got some other handy tools as well...I also found a
keyboard key puller for $5.00. Enjoy!

==============

Junior Member

I found that the plastic scribe is also called an "Orange Stick" in the Jonar Alignment Toolkit mentioned in another quote. As a woman, I have manicure items - one of which is a plastic orange stick that was included in a small manicure set. It fits the cutout slot on my Dell, as well as the unit I am repairing, perfectly. I also found that a regular wooden orange stick fits perfectly. So, rather than spending even $18 for a $7 kit (the price went up from the previous poster and that includes the $10 shipping), you can go to Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, or ANY beauty supply, major pharmacy, or even the Dollar Store and pick up a pack of wooden orange sticks (about $1.29) or set of plastic manicure tools for under $5. If you need one of the tiny hooks in the set, you can pick up a tiny plastic crochet hook for which should do the job that the Jonar alignment tool was designed for about the same price.

Just a thought.

Angie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mACKnIFE View Post
Hi,

In Dell documentation they refer to a "nonmarring plastic scribe" to
pry up some plastic covers or parts in a laptop. I've searched for
that tool on the internet but I can't find it. At some newsgroups I
saw that some people refer to this tool as a "wedge".

I'd like to know if anybody knows where to buy that tool?

It looks like a flathead screwdriver but instead of being made of
steel, it's made of plastic. That way it doesn't hurt the plastic
parts of the laptop.

Thanks!

Mobo feature search tool - inquiry about tool existence Kern Motherboards 1 03-18-2008 06:12 PM
Laptop Hardware Tool? Chad Laptops 6 04-20-2006 11:11 PM
Looking for app or tool to <More> speedup mouse on my laptop. AA Arens Laptops 4 09-29-2005 03:18 AM
need recommendations on what brand, specific computer tool kit to buy (physical tool kits, not software kits/suites) Trevor Smithson PC Hardware 0 05-25-2005 12:46 AM
Latest laptop synchronize tool Andrew Laptops 2 02-11-2005 10:44 AM