Non-PCI Express Graphics Card in a PCI Express slot?

aether

Would a Radeon 9800 Pro (non-PCI Express card) work with, say, the Abit
AA8XE motherboard?

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"aether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Would a Radeon 9800 Pro (non-PCI Express card) work with, say, the Abit
> AA8XE motherboard?

The AGP slot is a parallel bus. PCI Express is a collection of serial
busses. Completely different animal.

While there are a few motherboards that have both an AGP slot and
a PCI-E slot, the manufacturer cheated and actually used a PCI bus
for the AGP slot. Such products would be no good for AGP gaming, but
the pseudo slot would be suitable for business apps.

If you wish to reuse your video card, there are motherboards
(like the Asus P5P800) that have an LGA775 socket for the latest
Intel processors, but everything else on the board is legacy
(AGP slot, PCI slots, 865PE chipset, DDR ram). Such products allow
a limited upgrade strategy, that will be good for anything
except the dual cores coming soon. (The comments I've read
so far, suggest dual cores won't work on any LGA775 motherboard,
but only time will tell whether this pessimistic news is
correct or not.)

Paul

DaveW

Absolutely NOT.

--
DaveW

"aether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Would a Radeon 9800 Pro (non-PCI Express card) work with, say, the Abit
> AA8XE motherboard?

David Schwartz

"aether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Would a Radeon 9800 Pro (non-PCI Express card) work with, say, the Abit
> AA8XE motherboard?

An AGP card won't work in the AA8XE and using a PCI graphics card on an
AA8XE would be criminal.

DS

aether

Once again, thanks for the feedback!

Yousuf Khan

Read the thread "AMD/Intel hybrid motherboard" one posting is about a
PCI-Express motherboad with an AGP slot too (called an AGR slot in
their parlance).

Yousuf Khan

daytripper

On 17 Mar 2005 09:39:17 -0800, "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Read the thread "AMD/Intel hybrid motherboard" one posting is about a
>PCI-Express motherboad with an AGP slot too (called an AGR slot in
>their parlance).
>
> Yousuf Khan

And that would address the OP's question - how, YK?

;-)

Yousuf Khan

daytripper wrote:
> On 17 Mar 2005 09:39:17 -0800, "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Read the thread "AMD/Intel hybrid motherboard" one posting is about a
>>PCI-Express motherboad with an AGP slot too (called an AGR slot in
>>their parlance).
>>
>> Yousuf Khan

> And that would address the OP's question - how, YK?
>
> ;-)

He was asking about putting an AGP card into a PCI-e motherboard.

Yousuf Khan