Not Happy with 3500+ ASROCK dual 929 SATAII and Ram

News Reeder

I am not sure what to blame. The board, CPU, or my ram, but I can't get the
cpu past 2.4 and be stable. Ram is Kingston HyperX DDR 466 512 x2. I get
periodic freezes where I have to reboot, no multiplier increase at all,
video is X800XL, no OC on video either. Is board finicky for ram?

dawg

Might be the ram.When did you buy it? Have you raised VDIMM?

"News Reeder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am not sure what to blame. The board, CPU, or my ram, but I can't get

the
> cpu past 2.4 and be stable. Ram is Kingston HyperX DDR 466 512 x2. I get
> periodic freezes where I have to reboot, no multiplier increase at all,
> video is X800XL, no OC on video either. Is board finicky for ram?

Michael Brown

News Reeder wrote:
> I am not sure what to blame. The board, CPU, or my ram, but I can't
> get the cpu past 2.4 and be stable. Ram is Kingston HyperX DDR 466
> 512 x2. I get periodic freezes where I have to reboot, no multiplier
> increase at all, video is X800XL, no OC on video either. Is board
> finicky for ram?

Try dropping (one at a time, NOT several at the same time) the memory ratio
(to check to see if your memory is the problems), the CPU multiplier (to see
if the CPU is the problem), the HT multiplier (too see if it's the
southbridge). If none of these allow you to use a higher system clock then
try dropping all three at once and see if that changes anything.

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Cal Vanize

Michael Brown wrote:
> News Reeder wrote:
>
>>I am not sure what to blame. The board, CPU, or my ram, but I can't
>>get the cpu past 2.4 and be stable. Ram is Kingston HyperX DDR 466
>>512 x2. I get periodic freezes where I have to reboot, no multiplier
>>increase at all, video is X800XL, no OC on video either. Is board
>>finicky for ram?

> Try dropping (one at a time, NOT several at the same time) the memory ratio
> (to check to see if your memory is the problems), the CPU multiplier (to see
> if the CPU is the problem), the HT multiplier (too see if it's the
> southbridge). If none of these allow you to use a higher system clock then
> try dropping all three at once and see if that changes anything.

Have you tried a different power supply?

Rich

"News Reeder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am not sure what to blame. The board, CPU, or my ram, but I can't get the
>cpu past 2.4 and be stable. Ram is Kingston HyperX DDR 466 512 x2. I get
>periodic freezes where I have to reboot, no multiplier increase at all,
> video is X800XL, no OC on video either. Is board finicky for ram?

Personally, I've had bad luck with the Asrock boards. If the price is too
good to be true...

News Reeder

Ive dropped the ram to 266, the FSB to 200 and the HT to 8x400. This runs
stable. And what does the PCI-E Sync and Async mean?

news:7mIcf.5766$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "News Reeder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am not sure what to blame. The board, CPU, or my ram, but I can't get
>>the cpu past 2.4 and be stable. Ram is Kingston HyperX DDR 466 512 x2. I
>>get periodic freezes where I have to reboot, no multiplier increase at
>>all,
>> video is X800XL, no OC on video either. Is board finicky for ram?

> Personally, I've had bad luck with the Asrock boards. If the price is too
> good to be true...

Michael Brown

News Reeder wrote:
> Ive dropped the ram to 266, the FSB to 200 and the HT to 8x400. This
> runs stable.

It also tells you absolutely nothing with regard to where the problem is
(there is a reason why I said drop each one down individually). The board
should be capable of handling a 300 MHz system clock so the problem is
probably with your CPU or RAM.

> And what does the PCI-E Sync and Async mean?

Sync = PCI-E frequency goes up with the system clock. Async = stays the same
regardless of the system clock (aka PCI lock). You want async.

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

News Reeder

Async yes, I get that, I feel its the ram. Gonna try your drop the ram,
raise the cpu, so is it the FSB I raise or the HT (8x400)?
"Michael Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4373aca0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> News Reeder wrote:
>> Ive dropped the ram to 266, the FSB to 200 and the HT to 8x400. This
>> runs stable.

> It also tells you absolutely nothing with regard to where the problem is
> (there is a reason why I said drop each one down individually). The board
> should be capable of handling a 300 MHz system clock so the problem is
> probably with your CPU or RAM.
>
>> And what does the PCI-E Sync and Async mean?

> Sync = PCI-E frequency goes up with the system clock. Async = stays the
> same regardless of the system clock (aka PCI lock). You want async.
>
> --
> Michael Brown
> www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more
> Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

dawg

HT usually only needs to be lowered when you get to the 240-250 FSB range.4x
or 5x is default for HT on 939. When I run my 2800+ at 245FSB I need to set
HT to 3x.(Socket 754 mobo)