Not mentioned at the WWDC

Helpful Harry

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Lewis
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Paul Sture <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:40:55 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

> >> I have a couple of clients that insist THEIR machines don't accept other
> >> than MW files. Whether or not that is real is beside the point since
> >> they demand Word files and they write the checks.

> > I have come across many job adverts in the past which insist on you
> > submitting you CV in Word format.

> RTF is a "Word" format.

As always with Microsoft, RTF from Word is definitely a specific Word
format with all sorts of extra non-standard rubbish included. RTF from
most other applications is a proper standard RTF format.

Helpful Harry )

Lewis

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Helpful Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Lewis
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Paul Sture <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > I have come across many job adverts in the past which insist on you
>> > submitting you CV in Word format.

>> RTF is a "Word" format.

> As always with Microsoft, RTF from Word is definitely a specific Word
> format with all sorts of extra non-standard rubbish included. RTF from
> most other applications is a proper standard RTF format.

The point is, you send someone an RTF, they 'see' a MS WOrd document.

--
"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved
of it." - Mark Twain

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Helpful Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Lewis
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> RTF is a "Word" format.

> > As always with Microsoft, RTF from Word is definitely a specific Word
> > format with all sorts of extra non-standard rubbish included. RTF from
> > most other applications is a proper standard RTF format.

> The point is, you send someone an RTF, they 'see' a MS Word document.

That depends on the default application for opening RTF documents on their
computer, which in some cases will baulk at a non-standard supposed-RTF
created by Word. On my computer they open in TextEdit, and someone else
suggested that on Windows they open in NotePad.

Helpful Harry )

Paul Sture

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 13:57:26 +1200, Helpful Harry wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Lewis
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The point is, you send someone an RTF, they 'see' a MS Word document.

I managed to avoid Windows for quite few years, but my recollection is
that while Word can certainly read RTF files, the default application
used when you double clicked on them was Wordpad.

> That depends on the default application for opening RTF documents on
> their computer, which in some cases will baulk at a non-standard
> supposed-RTF created by Word. On my computer they open in TextEdit, and
> someone else suggested that on Windows they open in NotePad.

Wordpad, not notepad.

Lewis

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Paul Sture <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 13:57:26 +1200, Helpful Harry wrote:

>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Lewis
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> The point is, you send someone an RTF, they 'see' a MS Word document.

> I managed to avoid Windows for quite few years, but my recollection is
> that while Word can certainly read RTF files, the default application
> used when you double clicked on them was Wordpad.

Only if Word is not installed.

--
THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE DOES NOT END WITH HAIL SATAN Bart chalkboard
Ep. 1F16

Paul Sture

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 20:30:09 +0000, Lewis wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Paul Sture <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 13:57:26 +1200, Helpful Harry wrote:

>> I managed to avoid Windows for quite few years, but my recollection is
>> that while Word can certainly read RTF files, the default application
>> used when you double clicked on them was Wordpad.

> Only if Word is not installed.

Then why did I get told off for supplying an RTF document?

(I suspect the guy was using rather ancient versions of both Windows and
Office.)