Not powering up

John

I started having what seemed like an overheating problem with my
GA-7VAXP/XP2000 system: crashing after a few minutes, then refusing to
boot up again until it cooled down. I tried a new HSF and got the CPU
temp right down but this didn't solve the problem. I 'underclocked'
the board from 133 MHz down to 100 MHz which seemed to stabilise it
for a couple of days.

All of which might be completely unrelated to the current problem,
which is that when I hit the power button, the fans (PSU, case, CPU)
spin momentarily and then switch off...the RAM LED lights up but
that's all I get. If I hold down the power button, the RAM LED goes
off again.

If anyone can tell me if this behaviour points to anything in
particular, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

John

Mark

I think you are correct, this doesn't sound as if it is directly connected
to your earlier problem...

This sounds like an electrical problem with the power supply, maybe a short
circuit somewhere, try disconnecting all hard drives/cd roms etc, then see
if the machine will start correctly

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I started having what seemed like an overheating problem with my
> GA-7VAXP/XP2000 system: crashing after a few minutes, then refusing to
> boot up again until it cooled down. I tried a new HSF and got the CPU
> temp right down but this didn't solve the problem. I 'underclocked'
> the board from 133 MHz down to 100 MHz which seemed to stabilise it
> for a couple of days.
>
> All of which might be completely unrelated to the current problem,
> which is that when I hit the power button, the fans (PSU, case, CPU)
> spin momentarily and then switch off...the RAM LED lights up but
> that's all I get. If I hold down the power button, the RAM LED goes
> off again.
>
> If anyone can tell me if this behaviour points to anything in
> particular, it would be much appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

bendy

Hi John,
did you get this figured out? This is exactly what my computer is
doing.

thanks
bendy

==============

John

(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid (bendy) wrote in message news:<412fdc03$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi John,
> did you get this figured out? This is exactly what my computer is
> doing.
>
> thanks
> bendy

Hi bendy,

My computer has been sitting idle for the last couple of weeks...I'm
just about to order a new PSU (it could probably do with a more
powerful one anyway) and if that doesn't fix it I'm going to replace
the motherboard. I'll keep you posted.

John

Jim Muir

On 11 Aug 2004 07:55:01 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (John) wrote:

>All of which might be completely unrelated to the current problem,
>which is that when I hit the power button, the fans (PSU, case, CPU)
>spin momentarily and then switch off...the RAM LED lights up but
>that's all I get. If I hold down the power button, the RAM LED goes
>off again.

Exactly my problem with a GA-8PENXP and Q-TEC Dual Fan Gold 550w PS.
Removing the mains plug and then reinserting it used to solve the
problem. But not anymore. Same symptoms as yourself (inc. the RAM LED)
but no joy starting.

MarcusMD

A friend had that problem, and his CPU wasn't seated properly. But that
was a different Gigabyte board, so I probably shouldn't have stepped into
this thread.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...