Notebook: off or on?

johannmon

Longtime desktop user who just bought his first notebook- a Thinkpad
T41. I know there have been endless debates about whether to turn off
desktop machines daily or keep them on. What about notebooks? I mostly
use mine around the house on AC power. For longevity's sake, should I
shut it down after I'm done using it, or leave it on day to day? I
tried searching for past threads on this, but found nothing recent. TIA.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?=

> Longtime desktop user who just bought his first notebook- a Thinkpad
> T41. I know there have been endless debates about whether to turn off
> desktop machines daily or keep them on. What about notebooks? I mostly
> use mine around the house on AC power. For longevity's sake, should I
> shut it down after I'm done using it, or leave it on day to day? I
> tried searching for past threads on this, but found nothing recent. TIA.

I never turn of my notebooks since 1993

Over night of when I tranport them

Suspend to RAM

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization

E Brown

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 08:08:23 GMT, johannmon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>Longtime desktop user who just bought his first notebook- a Thinkpad
>T41. I know there have been endless debates about whether to turn off
>desktop machines daily or keep them on. What about notebooks? I mostly
>use mine around the house on AC power. For longevity's sake, should I
>shut it down after I'm done using it, or leave it on day to day? I
>tried searching for past threads on this, but found nothing recent. TIA.

I'm with Roland - I never turn mine off unless I'm concerned about
battery life.
Emanuel

Jeff Williams

"johannmon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:X7mVb.18448$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Longtime desktop user who just bought his first notebook- a Thinkpad
> T41. I know there have been endless debates about whether to turn off
> desktop machines daily or keep them on. What about notebooks? I mostly
> use mine around the house on AC power. For longevity's sake, should I
> shut it down after I'm done using it, or leave it on day to day? I
> tried searching for past threads on this, but found nothing recent. TIA.

Depends on what you mean by "leave it on", I think... standby? On except
for the drives and screen? Or fully on? Fully on all the time would
shorten a laptop's life just as it shorten's a desktop's life - but in a
desktop, you can replace any failing component easily and maintain your
uptime with minimal effort. A laptop is a lot more problematic - your video
chip dies (and I've seen this happen), and you're screwed. Ditto for your
CPU, motherboard, and drives (depending on the laptop, they may or may not
be easy to replace). LCD screens also tend to "yellow" and dim over a
period of time - they do not last forever. And of course, laptops have a
harder time dissipating heat than desktops, so their components are under a
lot of stress when in use - many laptops operate right on the edge of
failure even under normal conditions.

As with any other IDE hard drive, you should not expect a laptop hard drive
to last more than 2-3 years. Many drives do, but the failure rates start
increasing geometrically each year beyond that in my experience. And that's
2-3 years of regular use, not constant use.

My advice: at least keep the laptop on standby most of the time.
Personally, though, in my experience standby does not save much time over
hibernate. Which is really the same as "off" (just with your memory state
saved to the hard drive). I think it's best to power down when you're not
using the system.

// Jeff Williams
// (E-Mail Removed)

Joe Davis

I basically agree with Jeff, and will add a couple of comments: I don't
like the performance of my Dell 600m when the power saving features are
optimized, so I set it up to disable all those features, EXCEPT I have it go
to Standby after a short period (5 to 10 minutes) of inactivity. By doing
that, I can usually get a full day's work out of my "3 hour battery". Which
means that in addition to minimizing heat and prolonging battery life, I
figure I'm saving at least 5/8ths of the wear I would otherwise be imposing
on the machine by leaving it on all the time.

I usually get a new laptop about every 2 years, mostly for technical
reasons. I rarely have any major problems with components during a 2-year
time window, but some of my friends who keep their laptops on all the time
definitely seem to need repairs sooner.

news:iiFVb.17252$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...