ntdll.dll tabtip.exe error after installing Sp2

Luca

Hi Chris (again),

it means that it's as before, so the table input is empty when Windows Xp
starts, and when I login
to the system and when I try to run the table input from the icon it returns
with a system error (ntdll.dll
and tabtip.exe). So, nothing has changed.

"Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luca, I'm only bothered that it isn't working correctly, and trying to
> help you figure out what's wrong. Not to worry.
>
> When you say it "doesn't work" could you give me the exact details of what
> happened? Did it fail with an error message? Did it not find the files I
> said to run the Registry fixes on?
>
> If I don't have details - (1) I followed your instructions and (2) this is
> what happened - I have no way of knowing which way to try what next. 8-)
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Luca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Don't be angry Chris, but it doesn't work.
>> I don't realize what Service Pack 2 Install to not permit the correct
>> functioning of Tablet Input.
>>
>> Let me know,
>>
>> - Luca -
>>
>> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:u%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Luca, perhaps we should try this: Go to the Command Prompt (you can get
>>> there by doing "cmd" without the quotes from Start/Run), then would you
>>> enter "regsvr32 inkobj.dll" without the quotation marks, then Enter and
>>> then "regsvr32 tpcps.dll" (without quotes) then Enter again. Restart
>>> your machine after finishing each of those two modifications to the
>>> Registry.
>>>
>>> If this doesn't correct the situation, then I would suggest booting into
>>> Safe Mode (F8 or the appropriate Tablet button on boot-up) so no drivers
>>> are loaded, and no programs are running, then do a reinstall of Windows
>>> XP SP2 and the Tablet PC Edition 2005 over the top of what you have.
>>>
>>> This will not uninstall or wipe out any of your programs, but make sure
>>> you've backed up your personal files just in case.
>>> --
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>>

>>> "Luca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Chris H.

Okay, perhaps we should take a wild stab at a different direction. You're
running anti-virus software, correct, with the latest definitions? If so,
please use that to do a thorough check of your system.

After you've done that, if you have parasite and Trojan detecting software
available, please update the definitions and then run those. You may also
be interested in the information on parasites and Trojans here:
www.aumha.org/secure.

With all that out of the way - and the main reason I'm asking you to do
that - I would like you to go into Windows Explorer and locate and verify
the inkobj.dll and tpcps.dll files are in the folder at C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink .

When you find those files, please right-click each of them individually and
select Properties. Then tap the Version tab and in the Item name: pane tap
File Version. Right-click the result in the right pane and select "Copy."
Then paste that information into your response post here for each of the
files.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Luca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Chris (again),
>
> it means that it's as before, so the table input is empty when Windows Xp
> starts, and when I login
> to the system and when I try to run the table input from the icon it
> returns with a system error (ntdll.dll
> and tabtip.exe). So, nothing has changed.
>
> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Luca, I'm only bothered that it isn't working correctly, and trying to
>> help you figure out what's wrong. Not to worry.
>>
>> When you say it "doesn't work" could you give me the exact details of
>> what happened? Did it fail with an error message? Did it not find the
>> files I said to run the Registry fixes on?
>>
>> If I don't have details - (1) I followed your instructions and (2) this
>> is what happened - I have no way of knowing which way to try what next.
>> 8-)
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Luca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Don't be angry Chris, but it doesn't work.
>>> I don't realize what Service Pack 2 Install to not permit the correct
>>> functioning of Tablet Input.
>>>
>>> Let me know,
>>>
>>> - Luca -
>>>
>>> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> news:u%(E-Mail Removed)...

Luca

Well Chris,

It's a clean installation of Windows Xp Tablet so it's very hard to find it
some viruses or adware, by the way
I did it and I find two files suspect to be adware (but it was a backup copy
of a previous installation). I removed them.

These are informations about two files:

Inkobj.Dll

File Version: 2.7.2600.2180

File Version: 2.7.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (United States)

TcpPs.Dll

File Version: 1.0.2201.0

File Version: 1.0.2201.0 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Language: English (United States)

"Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, perhaps we should take a wild stab at a different direction. You're
> running anti-virus software, correct, with the latest definitions? If so,
> please use that to do a thorough check of your system.
>
> After you've done that, if you have parasite and Trojan detecting software
> available, please update the definitions and then run those. You may also
> be interested in the information on parasites and Trojans here:
> www.aumha.org/secure.
>
> With all that out of the way - and the main reason I'm asking you to do
> that - I would like you to go into Windows Explorer and locate and verify
> the inkobj.dll and tpcps.dll files are in the folder at C:\Program
> Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink .
>
> When you find those files, please right-click each of them individually
> and select Properties. Then tap the Version tab and in the Item name:
> pane tap File Version. Right-click the result in the right pane and
> select "Copy." Then paste that information into your response post here
> for each of the files.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Luca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:O$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Chris (again),
>>
>> it means that it's as before, so the table input is empty when Windows Xp
>> starts, and when I login
>> to the system and when I try to run the table input from the icon it
>> returns with a system error (ntdll.dll
>> and tabtip.exe). So, nothing has changed.
>>
>> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Luca, I'm only bothered that it isn't working correctly, and trying to
>>> help you figure out what's wrong. Not to worry.
>>>
>>> When you say it "doesn't work" could you give me the exact details of
>>> what happened? Did it fail with an error message? Did it not find the
>>> files I said to run the Registry fixes on?
>>>
>>> If I don't have details - (1) I followed your instructions and (2) this
>>> is what happened - I have no way of knowing which way to try what next.
>>> 8-)
>>> --
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>>

>>> "Luca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Chris H.

Those are the correct files, according to my installation here. Did you run
the regsrv32 portion we talked about previously at the Command Prompt within
that directory?

This was: At the Command Prompt (within the C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink enter "regsvr32 inkobj.dll" without the quotation
marks, then Enter and then "regsvr32 tpcps.dll" (without quotes) then Enter
again. Restart your machine after finishing each of those two modifications
to the Registry.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Luca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well Chris,
>
> It's a clean installation of Windows Xp Tablet so it's very hard to find
> it some viruses or adware, by the way
> I did it and I find two files suspect to be adware (but it was a backup
> copy of a previous installation). I removed them.
>
> These are informations about two files:
>
> Inkobj.Dll
>
> File Version: 2.7.2600.2180
>
> File Version: 2.7.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
> Language: English (United States)
>
> TcpPs.Dll
>
> File Version: 1.0.2201.0
>
> File Version: 1.0.2201.0 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
> Language: English (United States)
>
> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Okay, perhaps we should take a wild stab at a different direction.
>> You're running anti-virus software, correct, with the latest definitions?
>> If so, please use that to do a thorough check of your system.
>>
>> After you've done that, if you have parasite and Trojan detecting
>> software available, please update the definitions and then run those.
>> You may also be interested in the information on parasites and Trojans
>> here: www.aumha.org/secure.
>>
>> With all that out of the way - and the main reason I'm asking you to do
>> that - I would like you to go into Windows Explorer and locate and verify
>> the inkobj.dll and tpcps.dll files are in the folder at C:\Program
>> Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink .
>>
>> When you find those files, please right-click each of them individually
>> and select Properties. Then tap the Version tab and in the Item name:
>> pane tap File Version. Right-click the result in the right pane and
>> select "Copy." Then paste that information into your response post here
>> for each of the files.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Luca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:O$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi Chris (again),
>>>
>>> it means that it's as before, so the table input is empty when Windows
>>> Xp starts, and when I login
>>> to the system and when I try to run the table input from the icon it
>>> returns with a system error (ntdll.dll
>>> and tabtip.exe). So, nothing has changed.
>>>
>>> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Luca

Yes I did it. Probably I must tell you a thing. I installed a MSDN version
of Tablet Xp overwriting
a previous version of Tablet Xp (not MSDN). It could be the reason of this
system error? I don't think as
if I remove Service Pack 2 everything is going well.

"Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Those are the correct files, according to my installation here. Did you
> run the regsrv32 portion we talked about previously at the Command Prompt
> within that directory?
>
> This was: At the Command Prompt (within the C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink enter "regsvr32 inkobj.dll" without the
> quotation marks, then Enter and then "regsvr32 tpcps.dll" (without quotes)
> then Enter again. Restart your machine after finishing each of those two
> modifications to the Registry.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Luca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well Chris,
>>
>> It's a clean installation of Windows Xp Tablet so it's very hard to find
>> it some viruses or adware, by the way
>> I did it and I find two files suspect to be adware (but it was a backup
>> copy of a previous installation). I removed them.
>>
>> These are informations about two files:
>>
>> Inkobj.Dll
>>
>> File Version: 2.7.2600.2180
>>
>> File Version: 2.7.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
>> Language: English (United States)
>>
>> TcpPs.Dll
>>
>> File Version: 1.0.2201.0
>>
>> File Version: 1.0.2201.0 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
>> Language: English (United States)
>>
>> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Okay, perhaps we should take a wild stab at a different direction.
>>> You're running anti-virus software, correct, with the latest
>>> definitions? If so, please use that to do a thorough check of your
>>> system.
>>>
>>> After you've done that, if you have parasite and Trojan detecting
>>> software available, please update the definitions and then run those.
>>> You may also be interested in the information on parasites and Trojans
>>> here: www.aumha.org/secure.
>>>
>>> With all that out of the way - and the main reason I'm asking you to do
>>> that - I would like you to go into Windows Explorer and locate and
>>> verify the inkobj.dll and tpcps.dll files are in the folder at
>>> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink .
>>>
>>> When you find those files, please right-click each of them individually
>>> and select Properties. Then tap the Version tab and in the Item name:
>>> pane tap File Version. Right-click the result in the right pane and
>>> select "Copy." Then paste that information into your response post here
>>> for each of the files.
>>> --
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>>

>>> "Luca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:O$(E-Mail Removed)...

Chris H.

I'm going to go off in a small, dark cave and think, Luca. 8-)
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Luca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes I did it. Probably I must tell you a thing. I installed a MSDN version
> of Tablet Xp overwriting
> a previous version of Tablet Xp (not MSDN). It could be the reason of this
> system error? I don't think as
> if I remove Service Pack 2 everything is going well.
>
> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Those are the correct files, according to my installation here. Did you
>> run the regsrv32 portion we talked about previously at the Command Prompt
>> within that directory?
>>
>> This was: At the Command Prompt (within the C:\Program Files\Common
>> Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink enter "regsvr32 inkobj.dll" without the
>> quotation marks, then Enter and then "regsvr32 tpcps.dll" (without
>> quotes) then Enter again. Restart your machine after finishing each of
>> those two modifications to the Registry.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Luca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Well Chris,
>>>
>>> It's a clean installation of Windows Xp Tablet so it's very hard to find
>>> it some viruses or adware, by the way
>>> I did it and I find two files suspect to be adware (but it was a backup
>>> copy of a previous installation). I removed them.
>>>
>>> These are informations about two files:
>>>
>>> Inkobj.Dll
>>>
>>> File Version: 2.7.2600.2180
>>>
>>> File Version: 2.7.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
>>> Language: English (United States)
>>>
>>> TcpPs.Dll
>>>
>>> File Version: 1.0.2201.0
>>>
>>> File Version: 1.0.2201.0 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
>>> Language: English (United States)
>>>
>>> "Chris H." <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Mark H.

Hi Luca,

I ran into this exact same issue. It appears to be a .NET dependency issue
which I was able to correct by changing the configuration of TCServer.exe.

On your system go to the directory "Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\Ink" under your system drive. There will probably be a file called
TCServer.exe.config. If you look at this file in notepad, it will probably
look like this:

"<configuration>
<startup>
<requiredRuntime version="v1.0.3705" safemode="true"/>
</startup>
<runtime>
<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
<publisherPolicy apply="no" />
</assemblyBinding>
</runtime>
</configuration>"

This is causing TCServer to reference version 1.0 of the .NET Framework when
loaded. I am not sure if this is the desired behavior or not; however, by
removing this dependency my TIP loads correctly now.

The easiest way to remove the dependency is to just rename the file to
something like TCServer.exe.config.old. You could also force it to reference
version 1.1.4322 of the framework, but in the absence of a configuration file
..NET will use the default system configuration.

Renaming the file resolved the crashing error for me.

Unfortunately, I'm still trying to get my on-screen keyboard to come up
correctly, but one problem at a time....

Hope this helps,
-Mark

"Luca" wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> after installing Service Pack 2, when I click into Input Panel it appears a
> system error that says:
>
> AppName: Tabtip.exe AppVer: 1.7.200.2180 ModName: ntdll.dll
> ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00010370
>
> I follow some suggestions on the net, in particular to set the proper
> keyboard language (italian), but nothing
> has changed and already have this error. I wouldn't uninstall Service Pack
> 2, some of Tablet Users have solved this
> problem?
>
> Thank you,
>
> - Luca -

lhooipg

Hi Luca,

I had the same problem like you and I managed to solve it using Mark
method but the only thing I do is to change the .net version instead of
renaming the TCServer.exe.config.

What I do is change the version to "v1.1.4322" and restart my laptop,
then it's work...hurray...

<configuration>
<startup>
<requiredRuntime version="*v1.1.4322*" safemode="true"/>
</startup>
<runtime>
<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
<publisherPolicy apply="no" />
</assemblyBinding>
</runtime>
</configuration>

And now need to solve the keyboard issue like Mark..
"I'm still trying to get my on-screen keyboard to come up
correctly, but one problem at a time..."

Regards,
Jeffrey

--
lhooipg

lhooipg

Hi Mark,

I managed to solve the on-screen keyboard problem....

Try this:

1. Press the Windows key and the U at the same time.
2. This should bring up Utility Manager -- a little manager of
accessibility tools. Narrator may or may not be automatically running.
If it is, close it out (it's a nuisance unless you need it).
3. Select On-Screen Keyboard in the listbox.
4. The option Start Automatically When I Login should be checked.
Uncheck it.
5.Click OK.
6. Log out and back in and see if that fixed the problem.

Good luck...

--
lhooipg