NTLDR problem not a Windows problem: BIOS Corrupted

arnieb

Hi,
I have a GA-880GA-UD3H Rev 3.0 board. I was in the process of
recovering from a Win7-64 crash when I got the message, NTLDR Missing.
I swapped in my old drive with the older, but still working version of
Windows and I got the same message. Next, I did what I was supposed to
do and ran the repair/recovery disk with the same result.

Finally, in desperation, I downloaded the latest version of the BIOS
reflashed it. That solved the problem. What made me suspicious is that
I was changing the boot order in the BIOS a number of times to switch
from my Windows DVD to the hard drive.

Anyway, what was interesting to me was the BIOS back-up failures:

First, the corrupted BIOS was not detected,
Second, the backup BIOS did not take over,
Third, the error message was misleading and implied a disk problem
when, in fact, it was a BIOS failure.

Just wanted to let everyone know about this so you don't sppend 5
hours on a Sunday going through what I went through.

Arnie

Paul in Houston TX

arnieb wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a GA-880GA-UD3H Rev 3.0 board. I was in the process of
> recovering from a Win7-64 crash when I got the message, NTLDR Missing.
> I swapped in my old drive with the older, but still working version of
> Windows and I got the same message. Next, I did what I was supposed to
> do and ran the repair/recovery disk with the same result.
>
> Finally, in desperation, I downloaded the latest version of the BIOS
> reflashed it. That solved the problem. What made me suspicious is that
> I was changing the boot order in the BIOS a number of times to switch
> from my Windows DVD to the hard drive.
>
> Anyway, what was interesting to me was the BIOS back-up failures:
>
> First, the corrupted BIOS was not detected,
> Second, the backup BIOS did not take over,
> Third, the error message was misleading and implied a disk problem
> when, in fact, it was a BIOS failure.
>
> Just wanted to let everyone know about this so you don't sppend 5
> hours on a Sunday going through what I went through.
>
> Arnie

Interesting.
Thanks!

mikeyhsd

just wondering why you feel the need to switch boot order so much.
I just leave the dvd as first and with nothing in it the hard drive is picked as next.

mikeyshd