Numeric Keys not working on Laptop

Craig

I client called me about there dell laptop, whenever they press a key
with a number it shows the number instead of the letter on screen.
They contacted Dell and they want them to do a reinstall of XP to fix
the problem. I'm assuming the Fn key isn't working for toggling back
and forth, I assume dell would of checked this. I don't know the exact
details but reinstall the O/S seems a little extreme and may only be a
temporary solution. Does anyone know why this is happening and what in
the o/s needs to be changed (maybe something in the registry needs
changing).

Thanks,
Craig

Rich

On 3 Sep 2006 09:45:41 -0700, "Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I client called me about there dell laptop, whenever they press a key
>with a number it shows the number instead of the letter on screen.
>They contacted Dell and they want them to do a reinstall of XP to fix
>the problem. I'm assuming the Fn key isn't working for toggling back
>and forth, I assume dell would of checked this. I don't know the exact
>details but reinstall the O/S seems a little extreme and may only be a
>temporary solution. Does anyone know why this is happening and what in
>the o/s needs to be changed (maybe something in the registry needs
>changing).
>
>Thanks,
>Craig

1) the keyboard is physically damaged and needs to be replaced?

2) the only number keys with numbers on my d810 are on the top row
below the function keys. pressing the '1' key without the shift
produces a '1', pressing the '1' key WITH the shift produces a '!'.
seems silly to ask but i've seen it happen in the newsgroups...do your
clients know how to use the shift key?

3) if there is a separate numeric keypad is the number lock on?

reinstalling the OS does seem a bit extreme. have your clients ask
for 2nd or 3rd tier support.

73,
rich, n9dko

PeterD

wrote:

>I client called me about there dell laptop, whenever they press a key
>with a number it shows the number instead of the letter on screen.
>They contacted Dell and they want them to do a reinstall of XP to fix
>the problem. I'm assuming the Fn key isn't working for toggling back
>and forth, I assume dell would of checked this. I don't know the exact
>details but reinstall the O/S seems a little extreme and may only be a
>temporary solution. Does anyone know why this is happening and what in
>the o/s needs to be changed (maybe something in the registry needs
>changing).
>
>Thanks,
>Craig

Turn off num lock...

PeterD

wrote:

>I client called me about there dell laptop, whenever they press a key
>with a number it shows the number instead of the letter on screen.
>They contacted Dell and they want them to do a reinstall of XP to fix
>the problem. I'm assuming the Fn key isn't working for toggling back
>and forth, I assume dell would of checked this. I don't know the exact
>details but reinstall the O/S seems a little extreme and may only be a
>temporary solution. Does anyone know why this is happening and what in
>the o/s needs to be changed (maybe something in the registry needs
>changing).
>
>Thanks,
>Craig

Oh, if the notebook doesn't have a numlock key, plug in a regular
keyboard and turn off num lock...

Been there, done that--my notebook without a numlock key can get
toggled on with the external keyboard and be a bear to turn off.

Craig

PeterD wrote:
> Oh, if the notebook doesn't have a numlock key, plug in a regular
> keyboard and turn off num lock...
>

> Been there, done that--my notebook without a numlock key can get
> toggled on with the external keyboard and be a bear to turn off.

Thanks for your reply. I'll go by there office later this week and see
whats wrong with the keyboard.

Craig