What is NvCpl.exe ?

s-y-n-e-r-g-y@hotmail.com

Can anyone confirm what this file is? Searching on google 50% of the
results say its a legit nvdia program, 50% say its a virus called the
"Yanz.B Worm"

ie : http://www.auditmypc.com/process/nvcpl.asp

So..... is it a worm or an nvidia program?

Cheung

Its a legititimate services file provided you see it listed in your
services running as "NVIDIA Display Driver Service".

I have found it an unecessary service and have had mine disabled for
years. Its absence has caused no problems with my NVIDIA card and I
have gone through multiple driver sets. I you want to stop stop
disable NVIDIA Display Driver Service

succulentfruit@yahoo.com

Confusing isn't it {:>

NvCpl.exe is a legitimate file, it is a running service that is
installed by NVIDIA whenever you install a driver. However,
any malware can be named anything and thus the Yanz. B Worm could be
masking as the legitimate nvcpl.exe. Here is how to tell whether it is
the legitimate file or a disguised virus: Check where the files of the
running processes are located on your disk. If a "non-Microsoft" .exe
file is located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder, then
there is a high risk for a virus, spyware, trojan or worm infection!

If it is the legitimate nvcpl.exe running service then you can locate
it via your Windows Services.

Go to: start>run>services.msc

and look for the "NVIDIA Display Driver Service". If you see it listed
there and it is Enabled then that is service that is generating your
running nvcpl.exe process. If you wish you can safely disable the
NVIDIA Display Driver Service as it will have no effect on the
performance of your NVIDIA driver. I have had this service disabled
for years with no effect on my NVIDIA video card or driver performance.

Hope this helps.

Mango

Incidentally, tha

disable NVIDIA Display Driver Service

succulentfruit@yahoo.com

Confusing isn't it {:>

NvCpl.exe is designed to be a legitimate file, it is actually a running
service that is installed by NVIDIA whenever you install one of their
drivers.

However, any malware can be named anything and thus the Yanz. B Worm
could be masking as the legitimate nvcpl.exe.
Here is one way to tell whether a file is legitimate file or a
disguised virus: Check where the files of the
running processes are located on your disk. If a "non-Microsoft" .exe
file is located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder, then
there is a high risk for a virus, spyware, trojan or worm infection!

Go to: start>run>services.msc and look for the "NVIDIA Display Driver
Service". If you see it listed there and it is Enabled then that is
that service that is generating your running nvcpl.exe process. If you
wish you can safely disable the NVIDIA Display Driver Service as it
will have no effect on the performance of your NVIDIA driver. I have
had this service disabled for years with no effect on my NVIDIA video
card or driver performance.

Hope this helps.

Mango

succulentfruit@yahoo.com

I should add that the NVIDIA Display Driver Service affects the Control
Panel, it allows extra display options to over clock cards and tweak
settings.Since I don't overclock I don't need it. And besides, you can
probably access the control panel manually without the need to have the
"convencience" of a running service.

[...]

Magno

Incidentally, tha

disable NVIDIA Display Driver Service