nvidia control panel.

Anonymous

What is the difference between setting antialiasing and anisotropic
filtering on the nvidia control panel and letting the application decide?
Why would I pick one over another?

First of One

Two reasons:

1. Most new games have in-game adjustment of AA and AF. Setting the control
panel to "let the application decide" obviously is an easy way to have
different AA and AF settings for each individual game, since some games are
more demanding than others and can't be run smoothly at the highest AA
settings. Of course, if the game doesn't offer in-game adjustment, then
forcing the AA and AF level in control panel becomes your only choice.

2. Some developers have games apply AA and AF only on select visual
elements. For example, the HUD text may be left unfiltered so it doesn't
become blurry. Some games like Doom 3 use offscreen textures to store game
information. Applying a blanket AA routine to these textures doesn't improve
image quality, but slows down the game. Using the in-game adjustment of AA
and AF may result in higher performance in these games.

In the end you just have more choices. An analogy would be volume control.
Do you use the slider in Windows or the knob on your speaker? Why would you
pick one over another?

"Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> What is the difference between setting antialiasing and anisotropic
> filtering on the nvidia control panel and letting the application decide?
> Why would I pick one over another?

Mr.E Solved!

First of One wrote:

> In the end you just have more choices. An analogy would be volume control.
> Do you use the slider in Windows or the knob on your speaker? Why would you
> pick one over another?

In lieu of what you just wrote, your analogy fails since a volume
control will adjust the volume globally, identically, no matter which
one you use, the windows slider, or the speaker slider.

A more correct analogy would be "In game FSAA controls are to Driver
Level FSAA controls as Frequency Band Equalization are to Tone Controls."

In game levels of AA are almost always preferable since the application
knows which textures and assets to manipulate for maximum effectiveness,
much like just turning up just the 240Hz band, or the 1K band in audio,
while a global AA setting will AA everything if it needs it or not, much
like the "Treble" or "bass boost" controls.

<shrug> Maybe it's like USEnet posting, in-game controls are like forum
posts, and global AA is like crossposting. I'll stop now.

First of One

Uuuhhh... okay whatever. Merry Christmas! :-)

"Mr.E Solved!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> A more correct analogy would be "In game FSAA controls are to Driver Level
> FSAA controls as Frequency Band Equalization are to Tone Controls."

Shep©

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:54:46 -0600 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
Yang then "Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> sent this :

>What is the difference between setting antialiasing and anisotropic
>filtering on the nvidia control panel and letting the application decide?
>Why would I pick one over another?

I use my eyes ;-)

--
Free Windows/PC help,