OC Athlon 64 X@ 4200+ on Gigabyte board

cjohnson1379@earthlink.net

I just set up my new system and it runs fine at default but I can't
seem to overclock it without problems. Here's a brief description of
the system.

GA-M55Plus-S3g (rev1)
Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (90nm)
Corsair VS1GBKIT667D2 memory
Aspire case w/500W power supply
Added Northbridge fan
Seagate 160GB SATA 300 HDD
WinTV PVR-150
NEC DVD-R DL drive
5 case fans

I can get the clock to 210, leaving everything else alone. I tried
lowering the HTT multiplier to 4X and setting the Memory to DDR533 so
I don't OC anything but the processor. At 250 x 10 (2.5GHz) it will
run without errors if it POSTs. Problem is, it hangs or POSTs in safe
mode half the time. I'm using the stock AMD Heatsink but heat
doesn't
seem to be an issue. I have tried raising VCore to no avail. I even
tried lowering the HT multiplier to 3X and CPU to 9X so the CPU is
barely overclocked. It just doesn't like the clock over 210. Any
ideas?

Chris

Ed Light

I'm not familiar with that board, but if it has a north and south bridge
then you may have to lower the multiplier for the ht connection between
them. Had to do that for a geforce 6100 board. It clocked to 300 fine then.

--
Ed Light

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

Wes Newell

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:08:14 -0800, cjohnson1379 wrote:

> I just set up my new system and it runs fine at default but I can't
> seem to overclock it without problems. Here's a brief description of
> the system.
>
> GA-M55Plus-S3g (rev1)
> Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (90nm)
> Corsair VS1GBKIT667D2 memory
> Aspire case w/500W power supply
> Added Northbridge fan
> Seagate 160GB SATA 300 HDD
> WinTV PVR-150
> NEC DVD-R DL drive
> 5 case fans
>

> I can get the clock to 210, leaving everything else alone. I tried
> lowering the HTT multiplier to 4X and setting the Memory to DDR533 so
> I don't OC anything but the processor. At 250 x 10 (2.5GHz) it will
> run without errors if it POSTs. Problem is, it hangs or POSTs in safe
> mode half the time. I'm using the stock AMD Heatsink but heat
> doesn't
> seem to be an issue. I have tried raising VCore to no avail. I even
> tried lowering the HT multiplier to 3X and CPU to 9X so the CPU is
> barely overclocked. It just doesn't like the clock over 210. Any
> ideas?

I've got the same board with an X2 3800+. I had no problem setting the CPU
frequency to 233Mhz and rebooting at default vcore. I may have lowered HT
to 4x but don't recall. Set ram not to exceed 167Mhz. Don't recall what
ram brand I have but it's ddr667 and cheap. I didn't try any other
settings, and then set it back to default for 24/7 operation.

cjohnson1379@earthlink.net

> I've got the same board with an X2 3800+. I had no problem setting the CPU
> frequency to 233Mhz and rebooting at default vcore. I may have lowered HT
> to 4x but don't recall. Set ram not to exceed 167Mhz. Don't recall what
> ram brand I have but it's ddr667 and cheap. I didn't try any other
> settings, and then set it back to default for 24/7 operation.
>
> --
> Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder?http://mythtv.orghttp://mysettopbox....yth.htmlUsenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
> My serverhttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
> HD Tivo S3 comparedhttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm- Hide quoted text -

Wes,
Thanks for the mobo recomendation. It does everything I need but I
wish it would OC a little more. How do I set the memory like you say
to not exceed 167MHz. I only see settings for 400, 533, 667, and 800.
I set it to 533 when I overclocked it. Like I said, it's stable in
Windows if it POSTs. Easytune seems to work but I don't feel
comfortable with it.

Chris

Wes Newell

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:07:44 -0800, cjohnson1379 wrote:

> Thanks for the mobo recomendation. It does everything I need but I
> wish it would OC a little more. How do I set the memory like you say
> to not exceed 167MHz. I only see settings for 400, 533, 667, and 800.
> I set it to 533 when I overclocked it. Like I said, it's stable in
> Windows if it POSTs. Easytune seems to work but I don't feel
> comfortable with it.

I couldn't remember so I had to shut down to get into the bios. I left
everything at default, auto, or normal in the MIT section then just raised
the cpu frequency. No problem at 234MHz. Failed at 266MHz and had to clear
cmos. Worked ok at 240MHz. At 250MHz the smartbios told me to fix it.:-) I
didn't do any increments other than 10, so 244 or something may have
worked. i don't really care. At 266MHz when it wouldn't post, I was
getting ram failure beeps though. It also didn't like it when I set the
ram to DDR400. that's kind of strange. As this is my web/ftp/mythtv server
I didn't do any more testing than that. I also couldn't find a setting to
lower HT anywhere in the bios. Maybe I'll see if there's a new bios
available although I really don't plan on overclocking it for server use.

Chris

Hmm, I was just thinking that on my Gigabyte board I don't usually get to
see the cool options in the bios until I use CTRL + F1 in the bios main
screen. Maybe that would reveal the hidden options for you wes?

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 04:04:42 -0700, Chris wrote:

> Hmm, I was just thinking that on my Gigabyte board I don't usually get to
> see the cool options in the bios until I use CTRL + F1 in the bios main
> screen. Maybe that would reveal the hidden options for you wes?

Sure did. Forgot about that. Setting Ht to 3x and ram to 533 (usiing 667),
cpu freq to 260MHz, and vcore to 1.55v worked for 2.6GHz. Failed at
267MHz. Didn't try any others.

On Mar 10, 12:29 pm, Wes Newell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 04:04:42 -0700, Chris wrote:
> > Hmm, I was just thinking that on my Gigabyte board I don't usually get to
> > see the cool options in the bios until I use CTRL + F1 in the bios main
> > screen. Maybe that would reveal the hidden options for you wes?

> Sure did. Forgot about that. Setting Ht to 3x and ram to 533 (usiing 667),
> cpu freq to 260MHz, and vcore to 1.55v worked for 2.6GHz. Failed at
> 267MHz. Didn't try any others.
>
> --
> Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder?http://mythtv.orghttp://mysettopbox....yth.htmlUsenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
> My serverhttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
> HD Tivo S3 comparedhttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

Looks like I may have success. Instead of using the CPU multiplier of
10, I went for it at 11. The HT is set at 4X, mem at DDR533, Vcore at
1.5. It seems to be stable at 250 MHz clock but I doubt I'll leave it
there. OTOH, the memory doesn't run at it's full potential until you
reach 2.3 GHz and it's an easy overclock. I'll do some further testing
to find the point at which the memory doesn't take a hit.

BTW, I recommend that anyone who owns this board put a fan on the
Northbridge. Mine was hitting 160 degF at stock config. I bought a
cooler from CompUSA and just used the fan only.

Chris

Lenny_Nero

cjohnson1379 said

> Aspire case w/500W power supply

What is that ?

I bet it a some 300w 15 amp PSU that will hold everything back, I have a
Corsair HX 620 and last night I changed the Vcore for the first time to
(to 1.375 +104.2%) help me get my 4200x2 939 stable at over 2.7 GHz, runs
fine at stock volts all the way up to 2650 ish MHz.

The power supply is the most underrated, but often most important single
thing in a 'clocked system.

Check out JonnyGuru.com

L.

--
Want to help to keep the best free usenet servers running ?
http://www.readfreenews.com

cjohnson1379@earthlink.net

On Mar 14, 4:46 pm, Lenny_Nero <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> cjohnson1379 said
>
> > Aspire case w/500W power supply

> What is that ?
> snip<

Oops, it's Apevia but it's the same company. It's a full tower case
with a 500W power supply.

I could test it with a Fuke meter and o'scope but I don't think that's
it. The problems occur even with the CPU, HTT, and memory
underclocked. Is the clock generator built into the Southbridge on the
NForce 430? I can't find a clock gen chip and the Southbridge has 3
crystals close to it.

Anyway, it started having boot problems again at 250, but it's perfect
at 212. I've been playing with NTune and it seems like the longer it
runs overclocked, the better it gets. NTune puts it at 242 MHz.

Chris